PDA

View Full Version : How good (or lame) is the VIA K8T800 chipset?

Pages : [1] 2

ElwinTheDark
08-09-04, 12:51 PM
Hi

I'm planning to go back to AMD.
I want to get a socket 939 mobo. The only one available here in Canuck country now are the Via based one.
Since I had problem with every Via board I have before (FIC MPV3 board,Asus A7V and 2 MSI kt133 and 133a board), I was wondering how were they doing now in term of stability and compatibility. Should I wait for the n-force3 mobo to be available here ?

Thanks

superklye
08-09-04, 01:03 PM
ehh...you're better off getting nForce3

cam9786
08-09-04, 01:25 PM
^ I second that. Wait and get an nForce3. It will be better than the Via.

Clay
08-09-04, 01:34 PM
My system (see sig) runs like a dream. No reason to avoid it as far as I'm concerned.

PaiN
08-09-04, 02:01 PM
I don't see why people think the NF3 250 is better then the VIA K8T800Pro .....Preformance between the two is a hard call to say who's faster.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128&p=1
Both are showing up completely stable and compatable, with a ton of features....I just bought a MSI K8T Neo2-FIR(K8T800Pro) this morning I had a really hard time picking the right board....but, imo this one has all I need.
btw: The AGP\PCI locks are currently fully functional on both controllers :D

superklye
08-09-04, 02:06 PM
Well, I would go by past experiences. He said that he had nothing but problems with his past VIA based boards. 'Sides, pretty much every review I've seen has the nForce coming out on top and it just kinda makes sense that if you're going to be using an nVidia card, why not use a motherboard with chipsets by the same company? That's just me though.

jAkUp
08-09-04, 02:08 PM
At e3 an abit rep told me that the nf3 250 has huge issues, they said they prefer the via chipset

Clay
08-09-04, 02:10 PM
Since I had problem with every Via board I have before (FIC MPV3 board,Asus A7V and 2 MSI kt133 and 133a board)In the past have you kept your VIA 4-in-1 drivers (now Hyperion) updated? Were your issues not remedied by any possible BIOS updates?

tvlad
08-09-04, 04:13 PM
Until i got my nforce2 Ultra, i had one no name kt133 and a gigabyte kt400, which worked flawlesly, oh, i almost forgot my old Mvp3 mobo, i think it was made by Luckytech :D

And from what i've seen on the net, Via actually has a SMALL, and i do mean small performance lead. If i was to buy a new mobo now, i'd probably go for a Via based one.

stncttr908
08-09-04, 07:13 PM
I don't see why people think the NF3 250 is better then the VIA K8T800Pro .....Preformance between the two is a hard call to say who's faster.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128&p=1
Both are showing up completely stable and compatable, with a ton of features....I just bought a MSI K8T Neo2-FIR(K8T800Pro) this morning I had a really hard time picking the right board....but, imo this one has all I need.
btw: The AGP\PCI locks are currently fully functional on both controllers :D
I too bought into the "Well, NVIDIA kicked VIA's ass on the Socket A platform, so this must not be any different" myth at first. However, the more I read about the KT800 the more impressed I was. I'd have no problem going for one myself if I were to step up the Athlon 64.

Even though that holds true, I'm holding off for the nForce4 personally.

Sazar
08-09-04, 07:18 PM
My system (see sig) runs like a dream. No reason to avoid it as far as I'm concerned.

seconded...

when I bought my setup the via was undoubtedly the better choice..

even with the release of the nf3-250 @ stock speeds there is little difference between teh 2 chipsets..

you can generally find the via chipsets @ lower prices than the nf3-250 GB versions but if you are into oc'ing go with the nf3-250's and their locked agp/pci...

the k8t800 has been stable longer than the nf3 platform so I like that...

for sckt 939 I recommend only going for the NEWER revisions given the problems some people have had on the k8t800pro platform...

Son Goku
08-09-04, 07:42 PM
I haven't had problems with the Via chipsets that I've owned in the past (and yes I did keep the 4-in-1's updated).

As to the lower prices though, that might well...it depends what you might need. I have an nForce 1 now, and gave my Audigy away. If I got something else, I'd probably be looking for a sound card, and no I will not use C-Media :eek:

In your case, if you want it now, as long as you don't get something like Rip did (notice saz's mention above about newer revs...), you might go with that. I'll probably get the nForce 3 250 or 4 (when I upgrade), but would I wait explicitly for it? Not necessarily.

Sazar
08-09-04, 07:49 PM
you can't really compare a via chipset for socket A with the a64 boards...

via has nothing to do with the memory controller this time round (which was nvidia's advantage for sckt A)

superklye
08-09-04, 11:51 PM
is the nForce4 going to be available in BTX right away?

ElwinTheDark
08-10-04, 08:10 AM
In the past have you kept your VIA 4-in-1 drivers (now Hyperion) updated? Were your issues not remedied by any possible BIOS updates?

Yep I did. Those board did run tough. It's just there was a crash once in a while,(I almost never had one on my p4pe which is the most stable board I have since My GB based on AMD chipset) and My HD got lost a few time...VGA failed to init (which was prolly a asus problem tough).
Thats why I'm concerned, I want something rock solid@default speed, since I don't really plan to O/C it (well I might try...I always do a little).

@Pain nice O/C on your 6800Gt, are you on stock cooling ?

ElwinTheDark
08-10-04, 08:13 AM
for sckt 939 I recommend only going for the NEWER revisions given the problems some people have had on the k8t800pro platform...

The rev2 of A8v you mean ?
As far as MSI is concerned, I'm a bit suspicious of their lasting potential ( we bought four Kt133 board back a few years ago with friends, they all died within a year...and the replacement did die after 1 1/2 years (well I usually don't keep them that long tough))

Viral
08-11-04, 01:30 AM
is the nForce4 going to be available in BTX right away?

I doubt any A64 boards will be available in BTX. BTX puts the memory slots too far away from the processor for AMD's on-die memory controller to work efficiently. Unless AMD modify this, they won't be movie to BTX. Doesn't bother me one bit... I'm getting a coolermaster stacker :)

Sazar
08-11-04, 01:39 AM
The rev2 of A8v you mean ?
As far as MSI is concerned, I'm a bit suspicious of their lasting potential ( we bought four Kt133 board back a few years ago with friends, they all died within a year...and the replacement did die after 1 1/2 years (well I usually don't keep them that long tough))

my kt3 333 lasted me almost 2 years... my msi 865pe lasted me a good few months before I switched to my current setup... going on almost 8 months with this setup and no problems...

msi produces stuff at least as good as asus and abit and the others... given the problems with the current asus/abit boards I really can't say one is better than the other...

msi also happens to have one of the best reviewed 939 boards :)

but I understand where you are coming from...

msi and maxtor have never let me down so I continue to use them... :) if they failed on me I would, like you... have qualms about using them again :)

Warden13
08-11-04, 06:34 AM
Without reading everyone elses replies I can say that the new Via chipsets are excellent. I have built and or owned as many as 5 Nforce 3 (including 4 of the new MSI nforce 250 boards) based systems and I just recently built a new Abit AV8 based system (K8T800 PRO chipset - avoid the non pro) and the ABit system is far superior. I have had problems with all Nforce systems running speeds of over 200 FSB with a SATA drive. The Silicon Image controller they are using hates high FSB sppeeds, the Abit is using a Via controller and I am currently running at 10 x 256 and I have run at 260 with absolutely no issues at all. Via has really put together an excellent chipset this time around with a working PCI/AGP lock and in many cases, better performance than the NF3-250 boards.

Warden

Riptide
08-11-04, 09:27 AM
Others are having problems w/the AV8.

http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=49

Almost everyone seems to be having problems with temperature reporting varying wildly. Others (such as myself) can't get a stable overclock out of it, though some people don't seem to be running into this particular problem.

Gator
08-11-04, 08:54 PM
ehh...you're better off getting nForce3

agreed

Knell2
08-11-04, 10:41 PM
Both chipsets are great IMO. VIA is still the largest chipset supplier for AMD motherboards. However anyone in the market for an AMD motherboard should avoid these companies with bad reputations. Myself have had 2 different model ECS boards both caused me alot of headache while my other boards from ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte have been working great.

EDIT: Damn Fry's CPU/motherboard bundle or I wouldn't buy an ECS motherboard.

Warden13
08-12-04, 06:45 AM
Others are having problems w/the AV8.

http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=49

Almost everyone seems to be having problems with temperature reporting varying wildly. Others (such as myself) can't get a stable overclock out of it, though some people don't seem to be running into this particular problem.

Rip,

Yes, the temp readings will vary by about 15 degrees after a reboot but aside from that the board has been rock solid. My 3500 (stock 2.2ghz) if running at 2560 now and I've run it at 2650 but was unable to get it to be 100% Prime stable. Aside from the temp thing the board has been solid. Excellent voltages, fantastic performance, some nice features and a very nice layout.

Warden

Gator
08-12-04, 07:07 AM
...Aside from the temp thing the board has been solid. Excellent voltages, fantastic performance, some nice features and a very nice layout...

Oh really?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31054
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31403

From those two threads in addition to crappy personal experiences, I will never buy VIA or Abit again.
:nanahump:

ragejg
08-12-04, 07:14 AM
Me likey's VIA chipsets...

My 1st Abit board, KR7A-133R, kt266a, rock freakin solid, OC'ed to 180-190fsb... grat reliable board, had no hyperion issues... ever...

2nd Abit board: KV8-MAX3, k8t800 with OTES... not much for OC'ing, but this board acts very business-y... stable like a Win2k/P3 office PC :p

BUT I so badly miss locked AGP and PCI speeds...