PDA

View Full Version : Who's jumping on the PCI-express Bandwagon?

majortom
08-09-04, 01:08 PM
Is this technology going to last, or is it just a fad? They're just starting to come out with pci-ex mobo's and gpu's, and i was wondering if you guys planned on buying into it right away or wait (and play on agp boards) for a while longer until the technology matures (if it even does). Its a difficult time to be upgrading (should i buy an agp or wait for the pci-ex? oh decisions decisions) :retard:

Smokey
08-09-04, 01:15 PM
Well as I dont have alot of cash at the moment, Im going to try holding off upgrading until next year. Hopefully in that time, we will have a better idea of where everything is heading.

Tuork
08-09-04, 04:15 PM
TOO LATE!

Already bought a 3000+ and an MSI mobo... Guess I'll wait for the next time.

Coming up next, on Tuork money-spendin' madness: GT OC :drooling:

(now... where to buy one...???)

CaptNKILL
08-09-04, 06:11 PM
Is it possible for a motherboard to have PCI-E and AGP? If not, I dont think the PCI-E thing is going to last long... people dont often buy a $400 video card with a $150 motherboard, $200 worth of RAM and a $300 CPU... its usually a one at a time thing.

I really hope there are AGP\PCI-E boards coming out in the future because this 6800 GT is freaking amazing, and will be for a while. Why the hell should I have to get rid of it if im going to buy a high end motherboard (PCI-E only) next year?

Sazar
08-09-04, 07:12 PM
I'll consider it when there is a wagon to jump onto :cool:

stncttr908
08-09-04, 07:15 PM
It will be a gradual shift. Remember, DDR2 is on the horizon and there are still some poor blokes still using SDRAM, just as there are people using PCI video cards when AGP has been around for ages.

CaptNKILL
08-09-04, 07:52 PM
It will be a gradual shift. Remember, DDR2 is on the horizon and there are still some poor blokes still using SDRAM, just as there are people using PCI video cards when AGP has been around for ages.
Yeah its going to be a very gradual shift...

I really dont think its going to catch on for a while... people just cant afford it. I have a card that normally costs $400, and if I decide to upgrade to an Nforce 4 (I want Soundstorm 2) Ill have to buy a new video card in 4-5 months :retard:.

The difference between people switching to PCI-E from AGP and people switching to AGP from PCI, is that it was an option. PCI-E isnt an option. You either get a PCI-E capable motherboard and a new video card, or you settle for a lower end motherboard that doesnt support PCI-E at all. And if it does catch on, you'll be forced to buy a PCI-E videocard and yet another motherboard for your next upgrade.

-=DVS=-
08-09-04, 08:13 PM
Gonna jump waggon when NV50 and R500 ship ;) by then moust motherboard problems should be fixed faster CPU's and RAM available !

Kain
08-10-04, 04:02 AM
It will be a gradual shift. Remember, DDR2 is on the horizon and there are still some poor blokes still using SDRAM, just as there are people using PCI video cards when AGP has been around for ages. Hey! I'm still using SDRAM. :headbang:

Arioch
08-10-04, 05:23 AM
I don't feel like being a beta tester for the first generation PCI Express systems. By the time I plan on buying me a new PC next summer the technology should be a lot more mature.

mustrum
08-10-04, 09:19 AM
If you buy a PCI-E board from intel now you're ****ed as soon Intels new CPU with higher FSB is out. Not supported by the actual PCI-E boards.
I just read a review in a magazine calling this platform the most useless ever since it's outdated a few months after release.
Did i meantion that a P4 3.4EE PCI-E is not faster than a P4 3.4EE on a normal board. NO DIFFERENCE! The PCI-E board was using the much more expensive DDR2 memory though.
PCI-E will rock but it's better to wait for it to mature and wait for them to up the speed on memory (FSB).