PDA

View Full Version : What is your key configuration?

majortom
08-09-04, 02:51 PM
I was wondering, do you guys use the default wasd config to play fps? i have a weird configuration that i've been using since 1999 (with halflife):

up: up arrow
down: down arrow
strafe left: < (<-- i use my pinky to strafe, weird!)
strafe right: >
jump: right shift
crouch: right ctrl
use: enter

fire1: L mouse
alternate: R mouse
reload: click on wheel
scroll weapons: wheel

what are some of your button configurations for fps?

GlowStick
08-09-04, 03:00 PM
No no no, you have it all wrong!

Forward: Mouse 2
Backwards: s
Strafe Left: a
Strafe Right: d
Alt Fire: w
Use: e
Grenade: f (or in doom3 f is flashlight)

Pimp!
08-09-04, 03:08 PM
No no no, you have it all wrong!

Forward: Mouse 2
Strafe Right: d
Alt Fire: w
Use: e
Grenade: f (or in doom3 f is flashlight)

LOL my friend does that kind of aswell, right mouse button is forward, so weird :p

Forward: up arrow
Backwards: downarrow
Strafe left: left arrow
Strafe Right: right arrow
jump: back button on MS intellimouse's
reload: click wheel(never thought anybody else did that :p )
alt fire: mouse2

majortom
08-09-04, 03:17 PM
its getting harder to play at my config too, now with these new games that have all those extra keys (like far cry, with prone, tilt, etc.) im running out of fingers.. man, i wish i had an extra finger like those freaky amish kids do.... they must rawk @ gaming!

DaveW
08-09-04, 03:32 PM
wsad, space to jump, right mouse for flash light, mouse 4 for chainsaw, mouse 5 for grenades.

ynnek
08-09-04, 03:42 PM
right now, I am playing with the default wsad, except the reload button is the mouse thumb button, and the plasma gun is pinky button on the mouse.. and zoom is on the right button (although I may bind that to something else since its not that helpful).. space to jump... So for now, I run around with the machine gun, monster pops up, I shoot them while retreating/checking the rear.. Take cover and reload the machine gun, switch over to shotgun to finish them off (or grenades, rocket launcher)... but if things get too hectic then switch over to plasma(or chain) and clear out the way to take cover, reload, and decide which weapon to use next.

If I ever get around multiplayer, I probably would shift the movement buttons over to esdf, directly bind 1 weapons to the mouse buttons, and remap some of the other weapons an commands to my pinky and thumb...

Basically, like my UT2k4 setup, I can quickly switch weapons on the fly without hindering my movement.. Although I'm not sure how D3 DM will play compared to UT2k4 DM, if weaponswitching is fast enough or worth it..

saturnotaku
08-09-04, 03:48 PM
edsf for movement, r for use, t for flashlight, g to reload, w for previous weapon, c to crouch. This is the FPS configuration that Vash taught me and I've never looked back.

But for third person games like Max Payne or Oni, I use wasd to move. I am so incredibly weird. :screwy:

Serath
08-09-04, 03:52 PM
UP: up arrow
DOWN: down arrow
Strafe left: left arrow
Strafe right: right arrow
Action: Num pad 0
run: right shift
Fire: left click
Alt fire: click wheel
Jump: right click
weapons up: scroll up
weapons down: scroll down
look: mouselook

For any other special commands I just assign them randomly to insert, home, pg up, pg down, end, and del.

DenverBuc
08-09-04, 04:50 PM
I have a completely different config. It takes a little getting used to, but works extremely well for me (I also included the finger I use to hit that key):

forward: left mouse (right index finger)
reverse: right mouse (right middle finger)
(use mouselook - for looking and steering when you walk) (right hand)
strafe left: a (left middle finger)
Strafe right: d (left index finger)
force walk or force run: left shift (left ring finger)
fire: left control (left pinky)
alt fire: left alt (left thumb)
crouch: x (left index finger)
prone: z (left middle finger)
jump: space bar (left thumb)

-=DVS=-
08-09-04, 04:51 PM
heh default settings of Doom 3 work perfectly fine :p

Mr. Hunt
08-09-04, 05:59 PM
Up Arrow - Up
Down Arrow - Down
Left Arrow - Left
Right Arrow - Right
Delete - Reload
End - FL in D3... changes from game to game
Right Shift - Jump
Right Control - Crouch
Enter - Prone (if available)
Keypad 0 - Use
\ - Change ammo type/fire rate most of the time

Some other ones but I only use them for 1 game and that is SC: PT.

Weird isn't it? :)

Smokey
08-09-04, 06:31 PM
This is why mice with say 5 buttons are great ;)

"Forward: Mouse 2
Strafe Right: d"

This is pretty much what I use, reload is side mouse button, alt fire, the other side button. crouch/ prone- c/x

Basicly the same config since R6: RogueSpear :)

Vash
08-09-04, 06:38 PM
edsf for movement, r for use, t for flashlight, g to reload, w for previous weapon, c to crouch. This is the FPS configuration that Vash taught me and I've never looked back.

But for third person games like Max Payne or Oni, I use wasd to move. I am so incredibly weird. :screwy:

Ha! That's cause Oni didn't have a built in key config and we were too lazy to change it. :D

Ditto the above configuration, btw, save one item: I use a, q and z for misc items that are generally specific to the game. For example, in Halo PC a = melee, and in Far Cry, a = grenades. Having the extra keys around your movement keys makes the Force powers in Jedi Knight II easier to toggle.

magicconch
08-09-04, 06:59 PM
wasd movement keys when using left hand & right hand on mouse, numeric keypad when using right hand on keyboard and left hand on mouse

WeReWoLf
08-09-04, 08:08 PM
wasd. space for jump, mouse wheel click to reload, right mouse for zoom. with a 26cm handspan, you don't really need to change much.

CaptNKILL
08-09-04, 09:11 PM
forward = up arrow
backward = down arrow
strafe left = left arrow
strafe right = right arrow
fire = left button
alt fire\zoom = middle button
jump = right button
prone = thumb button 1 (using an MX500)
use = enter
switch fire mode = num_0
reload = \
walk\run = right shift
crouch = control
anything else i need is always in that area on the keyboard, ive been using this setup for as long as i can remember :D

Ludic
08-09-04, 11:37 PM
I use default controls whenever possible.

stncttr908
08-10-04, 11:51 AM
I really took a shining to WSAD. Left Control is my crouch, Z or Q is my prone (if it exists) and Space is always jump. Left click is primary attack, right is secondary, and middle click is zoom.

Slybri
08-10-04, 11:53 AM
I used to use one of those ergonomic "natural" keyboards that split the board at an angle, so I did something weird. I would angle the keyboard and use "w,q,s,a" with W as forward and A as reverse. I put jump on mouse 2 and ALt fire on left alt, under my thumb. I uses this for years, even afer going back to normal keyboards. Problem was my friends got confused playing games on my system, and I hated reconfiguring every game so I went back to default wasd.
I find that when playing a pure FPS like Painkiller or Doom3 or Unreal, where you switch weps alot, it's better to map the individual weapons to keys rather than scroll around like and idiot or pulling my hand off the "wasd" to punch a number. In general I use q for pistol, e for machine guns (unless I need a "use" button" , f for shotguns, g for grenades, c for chainsguns, x for rockets,and z for beam weps. shift for run and left ctrl for duck, v is prone, and spacejump. I use the extra buttons on the mouse or caps lock and tab for anything else important, like flashlights, or items, or maps or other wacky weapons (chainsaw!). R is always reload, never move your reload button around...
btw: I can't imagine playing an FPS like doom3 with a gamepad! WTF are they thinking releasing it for xbox?! (yeah I know...$$$$!)

Riptide
08-10-04, 12:59 PM
I'm a freak. :)

I use the num keypad.

Num8 - Forward
Num5 - Back
Num4 - Strafe Left
Num6 - Strafe Right
Num0 - Jump
Num7 - Turn Left (or steer w/mouse)
Num9 - Turn Right (or steer w/mouse)
Rt. Ctrl - Crouch

GlowStick
08-10-04, 01:05 PM
I'm a freak. :)

I use the num keypad.

Num8 - Forward
Num5 - Back
Num4 - Strafe Left
Num6 - Strafe Right
Num0 - Jump
Num7 - Turn Left (or steer w/mouse)
Num9 - Turn Right (or steer w/mouse)
Rt. Ctrl - Crouch
Sounds to me like your left handed and keep the mouse on the left side of the keyboard????!!??!

Riptide
08-10-04, 01:06 PM
Nope. I just shift the keyboard over to the left a bit so I can get at the NUM pad easier. I've just always done things this way... You tend to stick with what you're used to. ;)

holmes
08-10-04, 01:33 PM
UP: W
DOWN: S
Strafe left: A
Strafe right: D
crouch: left ctrl
run: spacebar
Jump: left shift

I used to use the arrow keys for movement way back when, but now I couldn't imagine doing it that way anymore...