PDA

View Full Version : Leadtek A400 6800GT THD probs??

omega_0000
08-09-04, 04:47 PM
hey all, recently got a 6800GT from leadtek and i seem to be having a few problems with it.

first up was the weak cooler on it...i`ve added a 120mm fan to the side of it to get some cool air around it which seems to of solved the artifacting/eventual crash (nvidia panel reports 74c peak)

i`m happy to live with that untill i get the dangerden 6800 waterblock when my supplier gets the order.

but i seem to be having 2 other problems with the card at stock speed (and so is the rest of the pc atm).

problem 1 - i`ve just been playing call of duty multiplayer and it crashed twice. both crashes are the same. the pc will lock solid for 5-10secs, and release the 'background' applications (like teamspeak- VoN software). the display will be locked on the screen and not change. about 15-20secs after the pc unfreezes (and teamspeak works again) it will BSOD to nv4_disp iirc.
i had coolbits and rivatuner installed, but have since uninstalled rivatuner, and reinstalled the 61.77 drivers about 15mins ago.
i`m wondering if that problem is a bad driver/corupt driver install, and the reinstall of the drivers has worked, or weather it's a setting somewhere.

problem 2 - when i right click the Nvidia icon in the taskbar, the screen will blank for a moment, and come back - like a resolution change - very short 'blank' time. this also happens when i click 'advanced' from the display properties' settings tab. should this happen? if not, what could be the problem?

my hardware:
a7n8x deluxe rev2.0 with uberbios 1007
barton 2500+
OCZ pc3500 1gb (2x 512mb)
twin-view 2x CRT's. primary monitor in D-sub, secondary monitor in DVI with a D-sub>DVI adaptor. running 'extend windows desktop to this monitor'
winXP home, SP1 + all updates

thanks for any help or sugestions.

MUYA
08-09-04, 07:49 PM
Wow the weak cooler on my leadtek gives me 450MHz core overclock and 1.2ghz memory on my 6800 Ultra. :D

Dunno man its always a drivers problems if you are geting other sypmtons beside articfacting etc.

1. Pls do check that the card is housed properly on the agp slot first.
2. Please make sure the 6800 GT has been fed with a clean line from the PSU.
3. Pls check all BIOS settings
4. It is always advisable to do a fresh install if moving from one card from a differet IHV to another.
5. When doing fresh install maybe u can do it so like this, Install windows, security update, mobo drivers, dx9, then vid card drivers :D thast the way i do it and works best for me :D
6. Do note even if uupgraded from a NV3X or NV2X to nv4x, you still need to fresh install the forceware drivers :D

Also 3DGPU have a tweak guide..maybe u can head over there for some tips.

rohit
08-10-04, 05:16 AM
hey,
I get the same problem playing farcry or prince of persia on winxp with service pak1.
It comes on driver v56.72 n 61.xx
i tried 3 different nv driver versions.
But still i get the same error, the game plays for 30secs n then crashes to windoiws or restarts the comp. sayin nv4disp.dll is curropted.
But i get no such errors playin on win98se
It may b bcoz of sp1 or winxp

I guess u too won't get the prob on win98se

P4 2.8e HT o/c 3.4Ghz
ASUS P4P800-e Deluxe
Inno3d GeForce4 Ti4200
Transcend 512MB DDR400(pc3200)

omega_0000
08-10-04, 11:04 AM
i upgraded from a TI4200. initally i just removed the ti4200 drivers, installed 6800gt, and installed that latest 61.77 drivers from nvidia. problems with 6800 speed in 3dmark, so a fresh install of winXP was done.

i`m running totally stock and unchanged 61.77 drivers atm (eg, no rivatuner, coolbits/coolbits2 or similar OC tools)

bios settings is auto AGP mhz (66mhz)
fast writes enabled
AGP8x enabled.
default AGP voltage (1.5v i think)

PSU is an enermax 550w. i`ve measured voltage drop at the 6800GT molex plug (back-probe the molex connector) and it's dropping to around 4.92v (4.88v lowest). about 3-5% drop which is nothing. also have the 6800GT on the same molex line as CD, DVD and FDD. done this because they dont get used in game so it's more or less a dedicated line to the 6800GT. further more, it's the best i could do - either run it off my other molex which has 4x HDDs on it, or with off/7v/12v fan and cold cathod line.

as for the OC on the leadtek, i`m lucky to 410/1100. can run at 400/1100 - ultra speeds. just i`ve been running everything stock for the fault problem. just eliminates any OC related errors

we`ll see what it's like tonight as i have a squad game on CoD. no doubt it`ll be a good few hours of play.

_Pablo
08-10-04, 03:42 PM
Got to agree with MUYA - 420/1200 flashed to Ultra - A400GT is excellent.

omega_0000
08-10-04, 04:13 PM
what kinda temps you getting with the Leadtek cards then?

what was your max O/C with original leadtek bios?

edit: and the crashes seem to of been dodgy 61.77 install. reinstalled yesterday, as i said, and have just finished that CoD battle - not a single glitch. so as you can imagine, i`m happy that RMAing is a bit further on down the line.

another question i`ve just thought of - what O/Cing 'tool' do you guys run? rivatuner, coolbits, sommat else?

MUYA
08-10-04, 07:59 PM
Gald your GT is working fine! :D

I use coolbit2 :D

omega_0000
08-16-04, 03:53 AM
OH NO!

leadtek card is down!!

this happened a few days ago - on friday night.

http://users.over-clock.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10041/19crt.jpg

ram problem.
contacted tekheads, and even without them seeing the email i sent with the above picture attached, they said it was ram problem. gave me an RMA number - and it's all sorted. as i type this now, its on it's way up north, on a big red van, back to tekheads. so hoping to have a replacement by the end of the week.
very impressed with tekheads customer support. didnt ask silly questions and didnt refuse RMA or squirm out of it - RMA there and then.

Viral
08-16-04, 06:42 AM
Wow the weak cooler on my leadtek gives me 450MHz core overclock and 1.2ghz memory on my 6800 Ultra. :D

Dunno man its always a drivers problems if you are geting other sypmtons beside articfacting etc.

1. Pls do check that the card is housed properly on the agp slot first.
2. Please make sure the 6800 GT has been fed with a clean line from the PSU.
3. Pls check all BIOS settings
4. It is always advisable to do a fresh install if moving from one card from a differet IHV to another.
5. When doing fresh install maybe u can do it so like this, Install windows, security update, mobo drivers, dx9, then vid card drivers :D thast the way i do it and works best for me :D
6. Do note even if uupgraded from a NV3X or NV2X to nv4x, you still need to fresh install the forceware drivers :D

Also 3DGPU have a tweak guide..maybe u can head over there for some tips.

Hmm that's nice to know.. I was planning to have to add extra cooling just to get the temps down when i get mine. I was disappionted to hear the cooling is less effective than the stock ultra cooling.. but at least the HS is better, so i can just use a vantec fancard or something up up the active cooling :)

Viral
08-16-04, 06:44 AM
Damn man not good to hear :(

Sorry about your loss.. I really wish leadtek would have used a faster fan. Of well i'm guessing your's had faulty RAM in some way.

omega_0000
08-16-04, 12:33 PM
ah well. least it's died now in the hot weather :P i feel some OCing come the cooler weather and get that aquamark&3dmark03 scores higher :).

and as u said viral - i too wish leadtek had used a faster fan. still, with the 6800 waterblock due shortly, i couldnt care THAT much ;).

MUYA
08-16-04, 07:47 PM
Ouch! But at least you are gettinga replacement! :)

Hope our new card works out man.

omega_0000
08-20-04, 12:49 PM
well, tekheads have tested it in neumous tests, and they claim it's free from defect.

it's on its way back to me right now, so i`ll see how it holds up once i get it back and installed on my machine again.

tekheads dont seem to be making an arse of things,as they said themselves it sounds like a ram problem too. ah well. lets wait and see, eh?