PDA

View Full Version : ~~~I have 6800U problem.. How to hook up a 2nd Power supply??~~~

oOV1rU5|NV35Oo
08-09-04, 07:32 PM
so, I got eVGA 6800 ultra and I'm having a sh*t load of problems with it..the problems are as following:

1- doomIII sometimes hangs just after I load a game. everything freezes for about 30 secs..sometimes, it freezes for 30sec and then go to the desktop.. Sometimes it restarts the computer and once windows is back, i got the message: "the following device was resposbile for the problem : 6800U.." something like that...

2-UT2k4 sometimes also freezes for about 30 sec.. ..

3- I have the "LOTR one ring screen saver" and if the screen saver plays for about 6 hours (I leave my comp on overnight), it freezes completely, and I have to press the restart button on the case ..

is it because of the power supply??

I have 530W PSU connected to a motherboard, 9 fans, 3 HD's, 2 CD's and 3 lights.... the 6800U is connected through 2 molex connectors from the same wire (if u know what I mean)..

If it's power related then, I wanna buy another PSU to power the 6800U only.. I'm planning to leave the 2nd PSU outside the case and slip the wires from the back of the case to power the 6800U.. so, how can I connect 2nd PSU to the 6800 U and make it starts when i press the power buttun on my case??

also, how much watts does the 2nd PSU have to have to power the 6800U ??

thx :)

YOGIx213
08-09-04, 07:35 PM
I don't think it's a power supply issue as 550 watts seems more than enough power. Many have experienced these same issues, just search on these threads, one of the threads is a sticky so you won't have any problems finding it. Look for the "Geforce 6800 Random freeze" thread.

Templar
08-09-04, 07:38 PM
that 530 PSU is it a $20 made in PONG BONG or is it a PC Power And Cooling unit. It really can make all the diffrence.

SImon

oOV1rU5|NV35Oo
08-09-04, 07:42 PM
that 530 PSU is it a $20 made in PONG BONG or is it a PC Power And Cooling unit. It really can make all the diffrence.

SImon

no, it's a $170 ..I forgot its name..

and I have seen the sricky, but that didn't help :(

ricercar
08-09-04, 07:57 PM
When I have dual-power for a computer, I install a jumper or wire a switch between pin 4 and pin six on the ATX PSU mainboard connector.

______[]____
|0004060000|
|0000000000|
-------------

kahloq
08-09-04, 08:04 PM
so, I got eVGA 6800 ultra

I have 530W PSU connected to a motherboard, 9 fans, 3 HD's, 2 CD's and 3 lights.... the 6800U is connected through 2 molex connectors from the same wire (if u know what I mean)..

This is your problem most likely. Your using the same molex line to plug both primary and secondary power inputs on the 6800U. You cannot y splt those. Each MUST be run on a different line. Nvidia and Evga as well as BFG and most other vendors recommend two seperate DEDICATED molex lines with nothing else on them to power the vid card. You cannot y split ONE molex line to plug into both inputs on the 6800U and expect it to function right...maybe some have done this and it works fine, but this is NOT what the manufacturer recommends. Re-wire your case to send two seperate lines to the vid card. The secondary input line for the 6800U may have some fans on it OR a hardrive....primary needs to be all by itself for optimal performance.

How many molex strands do you have? Whats the amp rating on that 530watt PSU on the + 12?

-=DVS=-
08-09-04, 08:08 PM
Did you try to unhook everything and leave 1 cdrom 1 HD and test game then , should not be power problem , probably software or some hardware incompatibility , might as well be defective card ,test it ...

oOV1rU5|NV35Oo
08-09-04, 08:19 PM
ok then, I will try and rewire my case.. I will report back..

Raptorman
08-09-04, 08:21 PM
I have the little "pause" problem in all my games. Though it sometimes results in Windows crashing saying that nv4_disp.dll was responsible for the instability. If I switch to the 62.20 drivers, however, this "pause" goes away.

oOV1rU5|NV35Oo
08-09-04, 09:16 PM
OK.. I have rewired my case. my PSU only has 2 main lines.. I have connected a whole line to the primarly slot in the 6800U, and in the 2nd line, I have 1 HD, 1CD, 2 fans, and the secondary in 6800U.. Same problem... However I think I forgot to mention something.. Doom III only hangs when I load a game. If I start a new game, it never hangs.. also, sometimes, if it recovers from a hangs at the start of a loaded game, it will run smoothly with no more freezes.. I have switched to drivers 62.20 but, that didn't help. DoomIII still hangs on the start of a LOADED game...so, what should I do now??? :( :(

jAkUp
08-09-04, 10:25 PM
Try reflashing your video card bios if you can... I had similar problems with my EVGA 6800U, like 30 second pauses everytime a new round started in UT2004, but after flashing the bios to rev2, the problem no longer exists :) Also a customer at our store had the same exact problem, so we reflashed the bios and it seems all is well again... if your comfortable flashing the bios I am almost certain it will fix the problem.

oOV1rU5|NV35Oo
08-09-04, 10:41 PM
Try reflashing your video card bios if you can... I had similar problems with my EVGA 6800U, like 30 second pauses everytime a new round started in UT2004, but after flashing the bios to rev2, the problem no longer exists :) Also a customer at our store had the same exact problem, so we reflashed the bios and it seems all is well again... if your comfortable flashing the bios I am almost certain it will fix the problem.

could you please give me some links on how to flash the bios?? also where can I download the bios.. please understand that I'm a complete noob when it comes to flashing nvidia card (not ATI tho ;) ).. you know ur post made me happy .. now I know that there is hope to solve the problem :)

jAkUp
08-09-04, 10:50 PM
This is where I downloaded the rev. 2 bios for my card:
http://membres.lycos.fr/headquaker/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=76

And this is where you can go to read how to flash the BIOS.
http://www.mvktech.net/

I dont recommend downloading the rev 2 bios off of mvktech's site because It did not work on my system... You can download nvflash from there. Just click on the articles to see instructions.

I was a noob to this as well, but its not too difficult, similar to flashing the bios on a mobo. Just be careful! I dont want you to kill your card...

oOV1rU5|NV35Oo
08-09-04, 11:08 PM
This is where I downloaded the rev. 2 bios for my card:
http://membres.lycos.fr/headquaker/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=76

And this is where you can go to read how to flash the BIOS.
http://www.mvktech.net/

I dont recommend downloading the rev 2 bios off of mvktech's site because It did not work on my system... You can download nvflash from there. Just click on the articles to see instructions.

I was a noob to this as well, but its not too difficult, similar to flashing the bios on a mobo. Just be careful! I dont want you to kill your card...

just to be sure, I should download the 2nd bios in that link (filename: 4001000.ROM) .. it doesn't say if it is for eVGA or not....

jAkUp
08-09-04, 11:21 PM
yes.. the second one. It is not an evga specific bios, it is a nvidia 6800 Ultra refrence bios. Make sure to make a backup of your original.. (mvktech's site shows how) Also you will need to reinstall your drivers once windows starts.

oOV1rU5|NV35Oo
08-10-04, 12:11 AM
WOOOOOOW.. The problem is fixed now.. DoomIII is running smoothly with no more hang ups... Thank u guys for the feedback and

special thanks for jAKUp for helping me fix the problem..i'm sooooo happy now..

THANK U VERY MUCH......

jAkUp
08-10-04, 12:25 AM
w00t w00t sweet ;)