PDA

View Full Version : BFG 6800 GT vs. PNY 6800 GT - temps and O/Cing results...

Pages : [1] 2

ozziegn
08-09-04, 10:32 PM
okay, so all this mama-jama and mumbo-jumbo about how the BFG 6800 GT is supposed to be all that and a can of chicken soup made me wanna try one out today. I was lucky enough to find one at my local Best Butt ( :D ) store so I snagged it up and tried it out.

I wanted to compare it to my PNY 6800 GT which quite often is looked down upon in this forum by many people who seem to think its some sort of generic card. especially when its compared to the BFG 6800 GTs.

well, first thing I discovered about the BFG card was that it idled at 62C compared to my PNY which idles at 54C. that right there surprised me considering the BFG card that I got has the newer, all copper heatsink with the dually fans along with the purdy LEDs in them. well, I guess all that purdy and heavy copper stuff doesnt mean jack because the load temp difference between the two cards was even worse. my PNY will not peg over 80C no matter what but the BFG card pegged to 88C! unfreakin' real.......

okay, so I then tried to O/C the BFG card and at best I could get (stability wise) was 410/1100. my PNY card does 420/1100. sure, its only a 10MHz difference but again, I thought these BFG cards were supposed to be all that??? sure, some people will claim that BFG's lifetime warranty is all that but it doesnt mean jack to me. I barely own a video card 1 year much less a "lifetime".

so here I stand with my first impression of the almighty BFG 6800 GT and it isnt too good. I think its a shame that a card like my PNY GT is quite often looked down upon but yet it beats my BFG GT in both temps and in O/Cing ability...

whodathunk it?

cambrian
08-09-04, 11:27 PM
Dude, your results and conclusions are exactly similar to mine!

I got a PNY 6800GT from compusa. I too have read about the PNY bashing.
But guess what I got:

423/1180 at stock cooling (I could even go higher on my core speed too).
idle temp is 53-54C. Temp after 1 hour of doom 3 is 63-64C. That's just amazing temp at that speed.

The card has never crashed on my once.

My 3dmark03 score is 12350.

My rig: P4 2.6 @ 3.12Ghz, 1GB of Corsair XMS RAM, P4C800-E deluxe, Audigy 2 ZS platinum.

I have read from hardocp and anandtech where peeps got their PNY up to 436/1200 with stock cooling. That's amazing considering that PNY is supposed to be subpar. I have also read dismal OC on BFG as well.

I don't know about everyone else here but I am very very happy with my PNY.

The only gripe is that they slap a 6800 only sticker on my GT. It has been confirmed by PNY tech support, too. They made the mistake of putting regular 6800 stickers on the GT's on a bunch of their batch. So people who buy PNY around july or august will get a 6800 on their GT. Don't freak out, just make sure the back of the card says GT and that your comp detects it as a GT.

ozziegn
08-10-04, 08:49 AM
I have read from hardocp and anandtech where peeps got their PNY up to 436/1200 with stock cooling. That's amazing considering that PNY is supposed to be subpar.

yup, so I guess that the PNY line cant be all that bad. :p

Ghosthunter
08-10-04, 09:01 AM
when it comes to overclocking nothing is guaranteed

BFG only gurantees 370 with stability. I didnt buy BFG for the overclocking, I did it becuase I rather buy with a company that has superb customer service rating if I ever need it. One less thing I need to worry about.

As far as the heat goes..it not like 60c is that bad anyway. I forget what I do idle, but I know playing 3 hours of Doom3 and it never goes over 85c, and that is all that matters for me and it is rock solid stable

You really cannot go wrong with either but for same price I rather buy a card that has better warranty, and overclock out of the box

Ti22
08-10-04, 11:38 AM
when it comes to overclocking nothing is guaranteed

BFG only gurantees 370 with stability. I didnt buy BFG for the overclocking, I did it becuase I rather buy with a company that has superb customer service rating if I ever need it. One less thing I need to worry about.

As far as the heat goes..it not like 60c is that bad anyway. I forget what I do idle, but I know playing 3 hours of Doom3 and it never goes over 85c, and that is all that matters for me and it is rock solid stable

You really cannot go wrong with either but for same price I rather buy a card that has better warranty, and overclock out of the box

ditto dudei get the same temps as you after doom 3. Personally I think the card is awesome. never crashes in anything.

ozziegn
08-10-04, 12:03 PM
*update*

so I decided to try the HDR demo on the BFG card. I ran the test @ 1024 X 768 for 15 minutes and the BFG card pegged to 91C!

same test with the PNY card shows temps at 82C and holding...

so whatever BFG did to their newer cooler designs, it needs to be taken back cuz they ran cooler before. :p

tret
08-10-04, 12:06 PM
My BFG 6800GT runs pretty hot too, I took the cooling setup off and applied AS5 to the GPU and also replaced the thermal tape for the memory with AS5 (I didn't have anything else to use for the memory)

My temps get to the high 80's as well, I am going to be getting a vantec Card Fan and see if that helps keep it cool

tret

|JuiceZ|
08-10-04, 01:37 PM
lol, they're both reference (generic) designs :p

Can't go wrong w/ either card though.

Jon
08-11-04, 01:54 AM
My BFG 6800GT idles at 59 and goes as high as 91 under load... my case is well cooled and ventilated too.
I tried a vantec twin card cooler and that increased my temps by 5 degrees!!!
I tried an Akasa system blower instead which increased my temps by 2 degrees!!!
So I just left a big empty space under my 6800 which reduced my temps by 2 degrees...
But I'm really not happy about how hot it is getting.

pingu2
08-11-04, 10:27 AM
You cant tell anything meaningful by looking at just 2 cards - you need to compare hundreds! maybe that PNY is a lot better than average and that particular BFG is worse than average.. or maybe not

you just cant tell from a sample size so tiny!

(btw I have PNY - and it reached 92C, before I took it apart and applied arctic silver 5 to the core and ram [now it reaches 85C])

racingx
08-11-04, 11:09 AM
I also have a PNY 6800GT and it idles at 53-55C, under full load it reaches 78-82C after running rthidral for 30 minutes.

Ti22
08-11-04, 01:39 PM
My BFG 6800GT idles at 59 and goes as high as 91 under load... my case is well cooled and ventilated too.
I tried a vantec twin card cooler and that increased my temps by 5 degrees!!!
I tried an Akasa system blower instead which increased my temps by 2 degrees!!!
So I just left a big empty space under my 6800 which reduced my temps by 2 degrees...
But I'm really not happy about how hot it is getting.

did you remove the top? b4 using the spectrum fan card? i see some people gettin 10 degrees drop when they remove the top off their card combo with teh spectrum fan card.

Jon
08-11-04, 02:50 PM
I didn't realise the top part of the 6800 enclosure could be removed... I just assumed that the heatsink was all in one. I've read in a number of places that the thermal compound BFG use is not very good. So I wanted to eventually remove the whole thing and use some AS5. However, I'm scared to touch my 6800 at the moment as we still have 2 days to go till Doom 3 :lame:

I was hoping the vantec would help circulate air across the heat sink but it seemed to have the reverse effect. So I tried the Asaka blower which I thought would draw the hot air away from the gpu and out of the case quicker, but again it didn't help.

If anyone has any links to pics of a 6800 in various stages of disassembly, I'd really like to see what it looks like under the metal case.

ozziegn
08-11-04, 02:50 PM
did you remove the top? b4 using the spectrum fan card? i see some people gettin 10 degrees drop when they remove the top off their card combo with teh spectrum fan card.

well if you're going to remove the top from the card then why not unplug the card's fan altogether because its obviously not going to be doing jack if/when you do remove the top from the card.

JayrodTremonki
08-11-04, 06:37 PM
Like I've said, it's all luck of the draw right now. No cooling design has proven to make a difference, and all the chips are being made in the same place. The only way you could go wrong with any of them is if you got one of the first out of the plant leadtek 6800 non-ultras which seemed to have some problems.

walkndude
08-12-04, 01:00 AM
"well if you're going to remove the top from the card then why not unplug the card's fan altogether because its obviously not going to be doing jack if/when you do remove the top from the card."

Doesn't seem your speaking from experience ozziegn as removing the face plate from my bfg gt(ref design) dropped temps by 4-5 degrees during idle and load -from 55-56 to 51-52 and 76-77 to 71-72. No extra fans being used to cool the card... didnt do squat for overclocking as the card maxes out at 429/1.12 either way though(damn you d3 for showing 433/1.5 was not as rock solid as I thought).

You do realize 99.9 percent of these cards are ref. designs and ship straight from nv to various aibs so it doesnt mean squat who you purchase these cards from aside from differences in bios' right ?

Why walk around with a stick up your ass about whether pny>bfg or msi or any other aib's card when they are IDENTICAL.

Jayrod is right -it comes down to the luck of the draw. You've got a great card...be happy bro.

Fx-Rat
08-12-04, 02:00 AM
I just checked my card after posting my new 6800 GT w/the dual blue fans running about 67 gaming, I put it threw the test rthidral at 4x for 20 min.and it toped out at 73-74c, cooled back down to idle at 50c, at the room temp. I am benchmarking at right now..Not overclocking.

SigmaOrionis
08-12-04, 02:36 AM
My friend and I both got BFG 6800GTs. They're the new ones with the copper heatsink and blue leds.

They both idle around 60C. I havent run rthidral, but just playing BF1942 for a few hours straight and Immediately exiting and checking temps it was around 75C.

These things do run hot. Thats why I find BFGs warranty to be good for my peace of mind.

Warranty and Customer support is the only reason I chose BFG.

ozziegn
08-12-04, 08:17 AM
Doesn't seem your speaking from experience ozziegn as removing the face plate from my bfg gt(ref design) dropped temps by 4-5 degrees during idle and load -from 55-56 to 51-52 and 76-77 to 71-72. No extra fans being used to cool the card... didnt do squat for overclocking as the card maxes out at 429/1.12 either way though(damn you d3 for showing 433/1.5 was not as rock solid as I thought).

yeah whatever... everyone knows that the fan on the nVidia ref designed cooler is blowing air INTO the heatsink thus forcing the air through the internal parts of the cooler and out through the heatsink's fins. so now, you take off the cover of the cooler and whats going to force the air from the fan to be channeled through the fins on the heatsink?

what? I supposed the air magically knows thats its got to be channeled to the right side so it can cool the fins on the cooler to do its job right? :rolleyes:

Why walk around with a stick up your ass about whether pny>bfg or msi or any other aib's card when they are IDENTICAL.

I had both cards in my hand and the BFG card ran hotter and didnt O/C as much as my PNY card did. so that right there is an indication that my PNY card was better. of course other people are going to have different results as everyone knows that no two cards are indentical.

so maybe its YOU thats got a stick up your ass by coming to my thread and flaming me the way you just did.

that being that, go crawl up a tree somewhere and tell your smack to someone who doesnt know anything because I certainly just didnt start to play with computers yesterday... :rolleyes:

Road_Runner
09-02-04, 10:32 PM
Plug for PNY here.... I play all day at 470/1200 with my GT.

I'm not exactly using stock cooling though :)

Pantherman
09-02-04, 10:39 PM
I have two PNY cards in my systems, and they work great. I haven't really overclocked them yet. I'm a little cautious about pushing a new $400 videocard too much.

The PNY 6800 GT in my Athlon 64 system won't work in the P4 3.0C GHz system. The system posts, but I then get a blank screen. I can hear the Windows Logon music though. Works like a charm in the A64 though. Weird.

FastRedPonyCar
09-02-04, 10:44 PM
well i got my bfg 6800gt for under $400 which is why i got it.

it idles at 65* and under load gets up to around 85*. My arctic cooler shuld be here tomorrow so I'll let u guys know what the temps are.
________
box vaporizer (http://boxvaporizers.com)

Wavern
09-02-04, 11:06 PM
Most people seem to have the same experience I had. The new BFG 6800GT with the non-reference cooler runs HOT. My BFG 6800U runs a good 10c COOLER than the BFG 6800GT. =vP

FastRedPonyCar
09-03-04, 06:24 AM
this is mine. is this the non reference cooler?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/fastredponycar/Computer/Watercooling/BFG.jpg
________
marijuana strain index (http://strainindex.com)

The Boatman
09-03-04, 07:20 AM
It's the non-reference cooler. But in the name of all that's holy don't let your sweaty palm touch the gold connectors!! :afraid: