PDA

View Full Version : Hot or Not (cpu)

g_man
08-09-04, 10:52 PM
I just got a Athlon 64 3000+ and it idles at 56 degrees C but when I left BF:V it was at 71 degrees C is that very high? i have the stock cooler on it i would like to buy a different one what is a good choice? Thanks for any answers.

ragejg
08-09-04, 10:57 PM
That's hot.. sounds like the thermal pad's not seated right, the heatsinks' too rough, or not lapped right, or the fan's not running correctly...

Sazar
08-09-04, 11:01 PM
appears you just have incorrect temp readings...

what version bios do you have running?

versions 1.7/1.8 for the board deal with the temp issue raised by some a64 cores...

if its not an incorrect report than something else is wrong..

I have the stock cooler and it idles w/o ac on @ around 36-37C... and tops out @ around 45C playing morrowind...

g_man
08-09-04, 11:01 PM
Is the idle temp hot or the full load temp too hot or both?

:edit: I am not to sure I am capable of flashing the bios with and update without breaking or screwing something up.

Sazar
08-09-04, 11:05 PM
both seem too hot...

if the heatsink is on properly your cpu should not be running that hot... assuming of course the device is operating @ room-temp (average room temp)

I have a 3400+ and its running cooler...

g_man
08-09-04, 11:09 PM
I dont think the temps are reading right because my case is very cool and the sys temp is 46 degrees and that is 114 degrees F so i think it might be reading wrong. When i reseated the Fan i put on new silver compound and i could hold the heatsink in my hand it wasnt very hot.

Sazar
08-09-04, 11:23 PM
well like I said update teh bios if its an older version... the latest msi bios is revision 1.8

it's changelog says it fixes the temp problems..

run the msi auto-update feature and use it to change the bios...

my cpu has not been up past 45C in the time I have been using it... and I have an old gen chenming (antec badged) case...

g_man
08-09-04, 11:29 PM
Where is the auto update feature at?

Sazar
08-09-04, 11:32 PM
install and run msi live update... i think it should be present on your msi drivers cd... else dl and run it from the msi website :)

it will tell you what your bios revision is and the latest version available as well as a small changelog...

g_man
08-10-04, 12:16 AM
Well i tried to Flash it with the auto thing and it said it installed but the temps where the same. But the BIOS wasnt really flashed so i did it with the disk it made me make and that didnt work either so i dont know what to do. Oh well.

::edit:: also SISANDRA reports the CPU to be a little cooler also.

Son Goku
08-10-04, 12:30 AM
OK, do you have the newer BIOS version listed?

If not, do you have an old DOS disk lieing around somewhere?

Also, looking at your sig, looking at MSI's page I see listings for

K8T Neo-FSR
K8T Neo-FIS2R
K8T Neo2-FIR

but no K8T Neo FIR specifically. If one downloads the BIOS .bin file from their site, it's important to get the right one to one's board. Which?

Edit: If your not sure if this is a real reporting or not...what you can do for the time being is run case open, and perhaps put a room fan by the comp... If it's a mis-reporting won't do harm, if it's not will keep cool.

majortom
08-10-04, 06:56 AM
i think msi boards tend to read temps too high. my old kt266 always reads the cpu at around 50 idle and 60 at full load and the case temp at around 35 c (thats open case with a/c). try opening your case and blowing a fan in there. see how much the system temp changes. better yet, check with another thermal gauge, like one of those handheld ones from home depot (shouldnt be that expensive). those are usually more accurate. or, if you dont have any money, just stick a regular outdoor thermometer in your mobo to compare case temps (make sure that thermometer is calibrated correctly too). chances are , if the case temp is off, so is your cpu.

Sazar
08-10-04, 09:01 AM
this problem is not for msi alone... other board makers have a similar issue...

what version bios shows when you boot up?

should say right @ the top... ami bios 1.x blah blah blah..

goofjb
08-10-04, 11:55 AM
If you need a BOOT DISK that is just for flashing BIOS's, then go to bootdisk.com and look for Dr. Flash. It is the more basic boot disk for flashing and all you do is add your .bin file and flash program to the disk.

Sazar
08-10-04, 01:49 PM
Well i tried to Flash it with the auto thing and it said it installed but the temps where the same. But the BIOS wasnt really flashed so i did it with the disk it made me make and that didnt work either so i dont know what to do. Oh well.

::edit:: also SISANDRA reports the CPU to be a little cooler also.

http://forum.msi.com.tw/

go there and check out the a64 section based on via chipsets and search for flashing your bios...

I have never personally had a failed install of a bios while using the auto-updater...

consider updating the tool if you are not using the latest version and then try again... just search for MSI live update... get teh latest build and then try updating your bios...

Riptide
08-10-04, 02:25 PM
It would be nice if these mainboard manufacturers would *finally* get temperature monitoring implemented without all these problems. Seriously, this is ridiculous. How many boards have we heard about with temp reporting problems? More than we should, that's for sure. If it's AMD's fault (or Intel's), fine, I don't care but this stuff needs to be fixed damnit.

Sazar
08-10-04, 02:40 PM
:D

knowing the issues you've had I think all mobo's should ship with a hammer and a doggy bag as well to smash up them problem boards when frustration boils over :cool:

the bios releases to fix the temp issues but it seems to be taking an awfully long time for some of them... msi has had a bios fix for a coupla months now in beta and over a month IIRC officially...

personally I have never had a problem (and I was a very early adopter of the tech)

Riptide
08-10-04, 03:21 PM
The problem is this stuff is rushed out the door. They cave in to consumer demand and it ends up upsetting some people (like me). My motherboard, for instance, has known problems with temp reporting. Reference that PM I sent you a few days ago. Clearly, it isn't just ME that has this problem. WTF are they doing over in Taiwan then? Do they test any of this before they push it out or what?

Anand didn't have any problems of the sort with his tests on the AV8. So he either didn't check temps between each boot cycle and thus missed the problem entirely -OR- he was given a cherry picked board by Abit for his review. I think it was probably the latter.

Many other mainboards have had problems of this sort as well. This is BS and it needs to be fixed. Abit seems to be taking some time trying to work this problem out though as no BIOS is available yet that clears it up and the board has been out for almost 3 months now.