PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think FarCry is buggy w/6800 series?

sabrewulf165
08-10-04, 01:46 AM
I notice random anomalies during the level load screens, and patch 1.2 causes BSOD's (at least when using Shader 3.0). I have yet to see any bugs or BSOD's with patch 1.1, but I'm still getting the random small anomalies during level load screens.

For all cases I'm using Windows XP SP2 final and Forceware 61.77 (and also the latest motherboard drivers for my K8N Neo Platinum)

card is Gainward Golden Sample 6800GT at stock (non-enhanced) 350/1000. Heat definitely not the issue, core only gets up to the mid to high 50's during gameplay

SH64
08-10-04, 04:57 AM
I just started playing FC on a MSI 6800GT & i noticed some bugs too ..
correupted shadows , some hitching & stuttering here & there .. other than that the game is ok .
using patch 1.1 / 61.77 drivers . using R3xx path fixed some issues though .

system in sig .

SpiderWoW
08-10-04, 05:42 AM
i recognized littel random sparks as well during the level load screen
at the end of load a bigger part of the screen flashes

i am having a Point of View Geforce 6800 Ultra
Forceware 61.77 / directx 9.0c / SM 3.0 enabled / not overclocked

Ti22
08-10-04, 09:07 AM
I have a 6800 GT and I run Far Cry with 0 Problems for some reason.

I get those white specs in the loading screen too but from what i've seen that is normal since I am not the only one getting it,

performance... I never notice a drop only when I dot something new, like shoot a barrel and it onyl happens in the first 2 mins of the ame after than its all butter smooth.

saturnotaku
08-10-04, 09:10 AM
I've played FC on a 6800 GT and have not had any problems with either the 1.1 or 1.2 patch, SM 3.0 enabled or not. Performance is very good except in the first few seconds on the game when the textures are being cached. Other than that, it's been perfectly fine.

Pantherman
08-10-04, 09:13 AM
I get some shadow anomalies and sometimes a mountain might be grey until I get closer to it and the textures load. I run the game at 1600X1200 with everything maxed. The game runs well, but it's not always "butter smooth." There are places in the game where there are lights, especially inside cabins where the game really slows down. I suspect this would be the same on everyone's rig. Far Cry is definitely a demanding game.

sabrewulf165
08-10-04, 02:09 PM
hmm ok... but no one else has had any problems with shader 3.0?

Also, am I stuck having "shader 30 Beta" at the top of the screen if I want to play with 3.0, or is there a way to hide that?

DarkOneX
08-10-04, 02:17 PM
I get some shadow anomalies and sometimes a mountain might be grey until I get closer to it and the textures load. I run the game at 1600X1200 with everything maxed. The game runs well, but it's not always "butter smooth." There are places in the game where there are lights, especially inside cabins where the game really slows down. I suspect this would be the same on everyone's rig. Far Cry is definitely a demanding game.

Heh, I agree with this. I run the game on my rig @ 1280x960 w/ 4X AF 0X AA and everything is definitely not smooth. There is a single player level called BOAT where it gets very very slow, like down in teens for FPS when out in the heavily wooded section of one island. Also in almost any multiplayer map it gets down in the low 20's at those settings. Doom3 really doesn't have as sharp looking of textures as this game does but I'm running that game @ 1600x1200 w/ 16X AF and it never gets that low and it's always smooth.

Clay
08-10-04, 02:22 PM
hmm ok... but no one else has had any problems with shader 3.0?Nope, I sure haven't and I've done extensive testing with both the SM2.0 and SM3.0 paths without any of these reported problems. I'm not sure what would be causing them for you, strange.

Also, am I stuck having "shader 30 Beta" at the top of the screen if I want to play with 3.0, or is there a way to hide that?
There is a hack to remove it, I don't recall where now exactly but it is here in our forums somewhere I know. Or, just Google for it. :)

SpiderWoW
08-10-04, 03:36 PM

you have to ...
- backup your D3D9Render.dll (farcry bin directory)
- use a hex editor and search for that annyoing text inside
- OVERWRITE that text with blanks (DO NOT SHORTEN THE FILE OR USE BACKSPACE/DELETE in a normal editor)

SpiderWoW
08-10-04, 03:38 PM
Nope, I sure haven't and I've done extensive testing with both the SM2.0 and SM3.0 paths without any of these reported problems. I'm not sure what would be causing them for you, strange.

just one statement to that ...
the SM30 Path has to be enabled by the user manually and is not officially documented (supported yet). the text displayed says "SM30 Path Beta" and Beta means - not finally tested/approved! maybe its reacting differently dependend on some cards, bios settings (AGP aperture size, PCI settings, Fast Writtes, Sideband Addressing ...).

Ruined
08-10-04, 04:13 PM
I notice random anomalies during the level load screens, and patch 1.2 causes BSOD's (at least when using Shader 3.0).

Did you update FXC.EXE to the SM3.0 version? The one that comes with the 1.2 patch is an old SM2.0 version will cause errors.

The load screen glitches are normal btw.

Clay
08-10-04, 04:24 PM
just one statement to that ...
the SM30 Path has to be enabled by the user manually and is not officially documented (supported yet). the text displayed says "SM30 Path Beta" and Beta means - not finally tested/approved! maybe its reacting differently dependend on some cards, bios settings (AGP aperture size, PCI settings, Fast Writtes, Sideband Addressing ...).Yes, very good points you make there.

sabrewulf165
08-10-04, 04:30 PM
hmm, ok... some very good points. You guys are very helpful, thanks! :) Can anyone tell me where I can get this new version of FXC.exe?

Clay
08-10-04, 04:54 PM
hmm, ok... some very good points. You guys are very helpful, thanks! :) Can anyone tell me where I can get this new version of FXC.exe?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=fxc.exe+download&btnG=Search

:)

Vyper
08-10-04, 05:47 PM
No errors encountered here so far.. 6800 Ultra Inno3d w/ XFX Bios.. 2.8C@3.07 2 x 512 etc..

sabrewulf165
08-10-04, 07:14 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=fxc.exe+download&btnG=Search

:)
bwahahaha I deserved that, thanks Clay ;)