PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP vs Windows 2000 - doom3 benchmarks

yuriz43
08-10-04, 02:25 AM
I recently switched from windows 2000, to Windows XP.
Reason was that I wanted to see if I would get any performance boosts with my HyperThreading, which windows xp supports and not win2k.

In doom 3 timedemos I had:

Settings for both windows 2000 and xp.

1024x768-High

58 avg fps timedemo demo1.demo- second run

Windows XP(SP2)

65 avg fps timedemo demo1.demo- second run

Both tests were from fresh installs of the two operating systems

Not sure if HyperThreading is the reason for this difference because it is for multi tasking but I thought the results were interesting. Perhaps its windows xp?

lightman
08-10-04, 03:56 AM
win2k SP4 supports hyperthreading. It sees the HT'ed P4 as two processors.

(ok, this is sub-optimal, since a HT'ed P4 would need some particular scheduling to work at best... but it's still better than nothing ;))

Edge
08-10-04, 04:01 AM
Well, Hyperthreading could definatly have an effect on it, there are plenty of other processes running in the background even without anything else loaded (though most take up very little CPU time). Have you tried to disable hyperthreading (somehow) and see what kind of performance differences there are? I'm curious as to how it would be different on an AMD system.

yuriz43
08-10-04, 05:10 PM
I disabled the HyperThreading in the bios- Frame rates were exactlly the same...I guess it must be windows xp compatability with the drivers.

Kamel
08-10-04, 06:20 PM
Not sure if HyperThreading is the reason for this difference because it is for multi tasking but I thought the results were interesting. Perhaps its windows xp?

probably is hyperthreading, because d3 supports threads, and calculates physics 60 times per second regardless of your framerate.

edit: hmm, just saw you say the results were the same. odd, i guess it does make sense though since the physics calculations must occur at certain moments as opposed to best effort delivery.

Heavyd
08-11-04, 08:04 PM
sorry to all you guys for me being the idiot in this thread but i thought that doom couldn't get more than 60fps unless i heard a lie.

Skrot
08-11-04, 08:39 PM
In-game, FPS is capped to 60. In a timedemo, the FPS can get as high as it wants.

Heavyd
08-12-04, 10:12 PM
sorry, didn't know

Skrot
08-13-04, 01:42 AM
Heh.. don't be sorry ;)

Heavyd
08-13-04, 03:16 PM
well i should be sorry to have to play doom3 on my pc specs seen below