PDA

View Full Version : X800PRO or 6800GT : advice!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

lapino
08-10-04, 06:41 AM
Just got a refund for my broken X800PRO (PowerColor), so now I have the choice, either go with the X800PRO replacement OR get (another) 6800GT (Aopen AeOlus)

Mind, I already HAVE a 6800GT in my gaming rig #1, but since going from the X800 -> GT will cost me nothing, I'm wondering if I won't be better off getting the 6800GT anyway

Reasons for getting the 6800GT :
* better Doom3-engine and OpenGL performance
* very good IQ

Reasons for NOT getting the 6800GT :
* noise... the GT is a lot noisier than the X800PRO
* wcooling : I have a block that fits the X800PRO but not the 6800GT
* halflife2 performance & 3Dc support

Any comments on this? My gaming rigs are :

gaming rig #1
PIV 3ghz
1gig ram
6800GT
Audigy2
aircooled (--> noisy!!)

gaming rig #2
PIV 2.8ghz (prescott)
512mb ram
X800PRO *OR* 6800GT (hence this thread!!)
watercooled CPU (Maze4) + GPU (only for X800PRO, won't fit 6800GT)
--> I might consider 6800GT for this setup because there are some waterblocks available for the 6800GT but they're VERY expensive!!

mustrum
08-10-04, 06:52 AM
Hmm if you'd get a pro vivo i'd go for the vivo but the GT is the superior card over the normal 12 piped PRO IMO.
I am sure there will be a few games (not only HL2) in future that will run faster on a normal PRO but the GT should win in most games i think.
Newer PROs tend to OC great though and you can do voltmods with a simple pencil wich allows PROs to reach 600mhz.
A 600mhz clocked PRO should beat a GT@ 400 mhz in quite a lot of games.

The advantage of the GT is 16 pipelines and no need to mod much. (a slight volt mod can be done via biosflash)
The advantage of the x800 PRO is less noise and less power consumtion.

I'd go for the PRO since you can take advantage of it when you come across a more ATIoptimized game.
The GT might be a few % faster but when you have both cards you can play any game at the best possible framerate.

saturnotaku
08-10-04, 07:20 AM
Reasons for NOT getting the 6800GT :
* noise... the GT is a lot noisier than the X800PRO
* wcooling : I have a block that fits the X800PRO but not the 6800GT
* halflife2 performance & 3Dc support

Let's go through these:

1) The fan on the 6800 is only noisy when your system is booting up. As soon as the drivers load, the fan quiets down and even in a 3D application you don't notice it. So unless you're keen on eliminating the boot-up noise, this is a non-issue.

2) Not going to argue with you here. Those waterblocks are very expensive, but they seem to be worth the investment for those who have done it.

3) NVIDIA has DXT5 which IIRC is their counter to 3DC. The 6800 is going to perform very well in HL2. I'm willing to bet that the performance difference between it and the X8xx lineup is 10% or less.

And on the X800 Pro VIVO, there is no guarantee that you would be successful if you did try a BIOS flash, volt mod or whatnot. I find it amusing that people are willing to take such drastic measures to try and get an X800 Pro to outperform a 6800, when you could buy a 6800, pop it in your machine, install the drivers and be done with it. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

mustrum
08-10-04, 07:28 AM
Regarding the VIVO: 99.9% of all vivos so far could enabe 16 pipes.
There's only one or 2 cases where a vivo couldn't be unlocked.
Some wont reach 520/560 and people voltmod therefore. There is no NEED to do this though. Don't wanna risk it? Run at standart XT clock wich is 500/500.
The VIVO mod is not more dangerous than the 0.1vcore increase mod people do on their GTs to reach better clocks.
We don't mod VIVOs to try to outperform 6800s.
We mod them into XT PEs that are a lot more expensive and hardly available.
I got a XT PE for 419€ wich is the same price as a GT.
x800 PRO vivos are real XTs with 1.6ns memory. Mine had the ATI x800 XT sticker on it still. Powercolor just applied another sticker on top of it!
A VIVO is no modded PRO.

jimmyjames123
08-10-04, 08:27 AM
Reasons for getting the 6800GT :
* better Doom3-engine and OpenGL performance
* very good IQ

You also forgot these bullet points:

* full support for SM 3.0
* FP16 blending
* on-board video processor
* ability to conveniently disable or enable optimizations for highest IQ
* can generally be easily overclocked to beyond 6800 Ultra speeds
* very high resale value

;)

But then again, you already have a 6800GT, so it might not hurt to try the ATI card (if you had an SLI setup, it would be another story though).

mustrum
08-10-04, 09:06 AM
You also forgot these bullet points:

* full support for SM 3.0
* FP16 blending
* on-board video processor
* ability to conveniently disable or enable optimizations for highest IQ
* can generally be easily overclocked to beyond 6800 Ultra speeds
* very high resale value

;)

But then again, you already have a 6800GT, so it might not hurt to try the ATI card (if you had an SLI setup, it would be another story though).
On board video processor. (rofl2)
I suggest you go take a look at beyond3d.
It's broken. 100% CPU usage when used.
About SM3.0: Yeah it's as great as SM2.0 on a GF3. No don't argue about this here since it leads to nowhere. If you think SM3.0 is good then that's great. He has a GT allready though so he wont have to worry about that.
Yeah SLI would rock but no SLI on AGP Systems!

msxyz
08-10-04, 09:32 AM
3) NVIDIA has DXT5 which IIRC is their counter to 3DC. The 6800 is going to perform very well in HL2. I'm willing to bet that the performance difference between it and the X8xx lineup is 10% or less.
Uhm... DXT5 is just a ARGB texture stored using the usual s3tc algorithm except for the alpha channel which is uncompressed. It is seldom used in situations where DXT3 (which compress also the alpha channel) generates some nasty banding effects. I believe all NVidia cards since NV10 (as well as ATis) do support this texture format.

Back IT, if you already have a 6800GT, I would go for the X800Pro instead. You could take advantage of the pros of both cards in different situations

anzak
08-10-04, 09:41 AM
On board video processor. (rofl2)
I suggest you go take a look at beyond3d.
It's broken. 100% CPU usage when used.
About SM3.0: Yeah it's as great as SM2.0 on a GF3. No don't argue about this here since it leads to nowhere. If you think SM3.0 is good then that's great. He has a GT allready though so he wont have to worry about that.
Yeah SLI would rock but no SLI on AGP Systems!

:lame: The Geforce 3 had PS/VS 1.1 support not SM2.0 which was first intoduced with the Radeon 9700. The Geforce 3 was way ahead of it's time and is still very good at simple shaders (1.1). Since he already has a GT I would prefer to own an ATI card also and the X800 pro is no slouch.

lapino
08-10-04, 10:08 AM
Let's go through these:

1) The fan on the 6800 is only noisy when your system is booting up. As soon as the drivers load, the fan quiets down and even in a 3D application you don't notice it. So unless you're keen on eliminating the boot-up noise, this is a non-issue.

Thx for the advice guys. I do however do NOT agree with the above statement. The fan is indeed pretty loud at startup and DOES quiet down a bit when in windows, but NOT (not by FAR!!!) to such a noise level that I don't notice it. It's BY FAR the loudest component in the case now! (Zalman noiseless PSU, 120mm fan @7v, 92mm fan on cpu)

Burnt_Ram
08-10-04, 10:22 AM
i have a regular 6800, and from the tests ive seen it beats the pro. so i say go for the GT bro ! find one with 1.6ns memory ! then you'll have an super fast card ;)

aAv7
08-10-04, 10:26 AM
I've had both...the x800 pro is alot slower. I'm loving the GT. Stick with the GT. It may run slower in HL2, but it will still run it at very playable fps.

Lfctony
08-10-04, 11:03 AM
I'd say the 6800GT would be a better investment.

OWA
08-10-04, 11:03 AM
Hmm, that's a tough one. I kind of like having a card from each camp so that I can do my own comparisons. It's also comes in handy occasionally when there is an issue with a game on one card and not the other. But, given a choice right now of someone dangling either card in front of me, I'd probably replace the X800 Pro with a GT. I've come close to offering the X800 Pro for trade (or trying to sell it) already but haven't mainly b/c it's a pain to do so. So, I think the temptation of the GT without all the hassle would probably outweigh my earlier reasons for wanting the X800 Pro. Still a tough choice though. Good luck with the decision.

burningrave101
08-10-04, 11:06 AM
Definitely go with the 6800GT. The DOOM 3 benchmarks set into motion what will be great performance for the 6800's in alot of major titles to come that are based off the D3 engine.

Quake 4, RTCW 2, and Soldier of Fortune 3 are just a few of the many i'm sure.

nVidia hasn't even really began to optimize these cards yet. The X800's are already highly optimized. The 6800's lose very little performance from Tri and AF ops off usually. AF ops even come OFF by default now. The 62.xx series are suppost to bring forth better optimizations and more performance.

lapino
08-10-04, 11:08 AM
well, I would NOT be so indecisive if the Aopen 6800GT wouldn't be so loud, compared the X800PRO, this fan is really quite loud (makes about the same noise as a cheap 80mm fan). could be that I have a broken fan on this card, but I'm *NOT* going to buy another 6800GT just to check the noise difference (unfortunately, I don't know any1 with a 6800GT besides myself)

Pandora's Box
08-10-04, 11:13 AM
well i would grab a x800 pro vivo if your on a budget and need a card thats gonna last a while. doom 3 is one game not the be all end all of gaming.

lapino
08-10-04, 11:18 AM
just recorded a little video with sound of my 6800GT running in my (opened) pc

webcam @ 5cm away from fan
http://users.pandora.be/hans.vdc/movies/6800GT.WMV

webcam @ place where I sit, next to pc (pretty close)
http://users.pandora.be/hans.vdc/movies/6800GT2.WMV

Pandora's Box
08-10-04, 11:33 AM
ok assuming we have windows audio volume to max what level should the audio be in windows media player?

Roscoe
08-10-04, 11:37 AM
I'm interested in this as I'm looking at a 6800GT or x800pro for my shuttle system... I'm currently expecting to buy a 6800gt for various reasons, though I'm still open to persuasion, as the x800 would be a bit less of a stretch on my 200w psu.

The only thing that's made me pause is this current quote that 'HL2 will perform (much) better on ATI'. So I'm going to wait to see what the benchmarks are when the CS:Source beta comes out. That should give a fair indication of real world performance on the engine that I care most about.
I really wonder how that quote can be true... digit-life's tests using the HL2 leaked code show the 6800GT solidly outperforming the x800Pro... unless they've either tuned HL2 towards ATI very recently, or gone out to hobble nVidia, I don't see how it can be true.

lapino
08-10-04, 11:40 AM
ok assuming we have windows audio volume to max what level should the audio be in windows media player?

Just set the volume to a normal speaking level (try it with an MP3 for example). Just called my retailer and I'm gonna take the card with me to try it out there so he can compare the sound to a 6800GT he had before (unfortunately, none are in stock atm)

Sazar
08-10-04, 11:42 AM
there are after-market fan solutions for the 6800gt...

if its just a water-block that you need you might well be able to find one on a number of sites..

if you can get a different cooler or a gpu block get the 6800gt... its a nice product...

if you can get a VIVO x800pro thats a decent solution as well...

keep the 6800gt first in mind with a different cooler the top of your list :)

Pandora's Box
08-10-04, 11:43 AM
hmm thats rather loud

lapino
08-10-04, 11:45 AM
I'm just looking for confirmation that my 6800GT sound is normal!! Could some1 with a 6800GT compare this. Keep in mind that the 6800GT sound you hear *does* sound a little more sharp than what I hear in real life, but still, it's WAY louder than just a fan spinning and moving air

If found this soundclips on Firingsquad (http://www.firingsquad.com/files/geforce6800u/coolers.zip) and the sound of the 6800ULTRA running at BOOT speeds (!!) sound a LOT better than my 6800GT!!

OWA
08-10-04, 12:06 PM
Yeah, it definitely sounds like something is messed up with yours. I have both cards and can't hear either of them over the regular system noise (except on boot when I can hear the GT rev up). My system is fairly quiet (I run all the system fans, HSF, etc. on low so it's not like I have a lot of loud system noise to drown out the GT or X800 Pro) and I sit right next to the GT system. Mine is nothing like what yours sounds like.

fivefeet8
08-10-04, 12:17 PM
Yeah, it definitely sounds like something is messed up with yours. I have both cards and can't hear either of them over the regular system noise (except on boot when I can hear the GT rev up). My system is fairly quiet (I run all the system fans, HSF, etc. on low so it's not like I have a lot of loud system noise to drown out the GT or X800 Pro) and I sit right next to the GT system. Mine is nothing like what yours sounds like.

Same here. But I've got a 6800 ultra. It's a lot quiter than that when I'm in windows. My case fans are louder than the 6800 ultra, but they aren't very loud either.