PDA

View Full Version : Stepup EVGA GT to Ultra, Worth it?

revbatboy
08-10-04, 07:54 AM
Has anyone done this and if they have was it worth it? I cant onverclock my GT very far it cannot reach ultra speeds. Money is not the issue, the issue is me having to use a 16 meg creative banchee for 1-2 weeks. Was the speed gain worth it? How much gain did you see? Was it noticable?

JayrodTremonki
08-10-04, 08:12 AM
It's hard to say. Depends on what resolution/ eye candy you run your games on, and it depends on how games go in the future. Right now you won't notice a bit of difference in actual gameplay. Later on it could matter, but doubtful. $100 worth of performance I'm skeptical about. But now that I'm thinking about it the 6800 Ultra EE is only $50 more than the Ultra and has the clock differences of the GT - Ultra that costs $100. Gah, need to stop thinking.
If you're not going to upgrade for the next generation of cards, then go for it if money's no option. This is looking ~4-5 months in the future. It's really a judgment call that you have to make.

revbatboy
08-10-04, 09:15 AM
Yea good point I dont plan on upgrading to the next gen cards considering I currently have a pretty nice system and dont want to upgrade to PCI-E yet. Now I just wish I didnt sell my ATI 9700pro so quick so I wouldnt have to fall back on the banchee card. Looks like I will only be able to surf and play Ultima Online for a week or two.