PDA

View Full Version : **Official Dual/Multi-Monitor Setup Appreciation Thread**

superklye
08-10-04, 02:59 PM
I love my dual CRTs. Even though they're big and bulky, I can't live without them now. Anytime I use anyone else's computer (I'm always using other people's machines since I'm tier 2 tech support) I get so annoyed due to the need to flip between screens instead of being able to have two windows open and just looking back and forth between monitors.

Dual monitors are a God-send.

Sazar
08-10-04, 03:59 PM
I had dualies :)

loved em but I sold one.. and am gonna sell this other one by the end of the year I reckon..

am moving to flat-panels :D

Clay
08-10-04, 04:10 PM
I like THREE monitors. ;) Check out this little nugget if you haven't already. Pretty slick and it works. Kind of "tricks" your machine into thinking there is a third video driver on your system even though the actual third monitor is physically not attached to you at all save for a LAN connection...very cool stuff. I have two NEC FE991SB CRTs flanking my development laptop on both sides in my office for a true triple display setup. It does improve productivity/ogranization dramatically IMO. :cool:

http://www.maxivista.com/

ricercar
08-10-04, 04:29 PM
Amateurs, all of you! As a technical writer, I use four LCDs on two video cards.
:cool3:
#1 = email/im/calendar/telnet/ftp/browser
#2 = working document
#3 = source/research documents
#4 = software product i'm documenting

However, at home I run dual-heads on my three main systems. The only single-display machines I have are a laptop and a MP3 server.

Started with multi-display systems back in 1989 with a dual-head SE/30 on MacOS 6.0.3. I liked the jaw-dropping simplicity that x86 computing approached only around Win98 with attempts at plug-n-play.

If you have questions about NVIDIA's nView, I can probably help!. I worked for NVIDIA and have deep understanding of the hardware.

Lezmaka
08-10-04, 04:43 PM
I like THREE monitors. ;) Check out this little nugget if you haven't already. Pretty slick and it works. Kind of "tricks" your machine into thinking there is a third video driver on your system even though the actual third monitor is physically not attached to you at all save for a LAN connection...very cool stuff. I have two NEC FE991SB CRTs flanking my development laptop on both sides in my office for a true triple display setup. It does improve productivity/ogranization dramatically IMO. :cool:

http://www.maxivista.com/

From thate link...
No more task switching orgies

lol

Yeah, I can't stand not having dual monitors either. I've got 2 19 inch CRT's. I had to run on a GeForce2 GTS for about a week not too long ago, and it was torture. I especially like the video mirror feature of nvidia's cards/drivers. I can run dualview, and when I play a video (or anything that uses an overlay) on one monitor, it automatically gets mirrored fullscreen to the other monitor. Definately nice for watching TV and DVD's when you're trying to get work done, heh.

The nice part is that in the winter, I don't have to worry about getting a space heater for my room. I probably won't switch to LCD's until CRT's are no longer practical (LCD, OLED or whatever the equivalent is at the time). I wouldn't be able to stand having a native resolution and if I don't use that res, it doesn't look all that great. Maybe that'll be reduced with panels that use a much higher DPI than today's, but they surely aren't affordable now.

GlowStick
08-10-04, 04:58 PM
I had dual withdrawls when i sold both of my LCD monitors! the horror the horror!

superklye
08-10-04, 11:02 PM
Oh man...4 monitors would rock so hard.

ricercar
08-11-04, 01:20 AM
Ya, it's good. Here's a pic from two years ago.

http://homepage.mac.com/ricercar/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2002-09-02%2000.13.00%20-0700/ImageDSCN4146.jpg

Currently the three displays have been joined by one more, and are driven with an AGP FX 5700 Ultra and PCI FX 5200 in a Shuttle nForce2 SFF. (The flat panel "TAM" Macintosh is under my desk waiting on a HD upgrade.) Notice there's working space on my desk. Gotta love them LCDs. :clap:

Gator
08-11-04, 05:40 AM
Dual NEC LCD panels here :). Very useful to watch IRC or AOLIM while playing UT2K4. Also useful to watch a DVD movie while surfing the web :)

http://www.jcoolradio.com/ut/lcd.jpg

Kamel
08-11-04, 05:59 AM
i am definitely a huge fan of dual monitors... i don't have another monitor suited for this comp though, and i *refuse* to use dual head output (only 2 seperate video cards... dual head output is teh sux).

i've been running dual monitors for about 3 years, but recently i gave it up because of my new comp/desk. dual monitors with one on top of the other really sucks ass =\

superklye
08-11-04, 07:35 AM
Ya, it's good. Here's a pic from two years ago.

http://homepage.mac.com/ricercar/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2002-09-02%2000.13.00%20-0700/ImageDSCN4146.jpg

Currently the three displays have been joined by one more, and are driven with an AGP FX 5700 Ultra and PCI FX 5200 in a Shuttle nForce2 SFF. (The flat panel "TAM" Macintosh is under my desk waiting on a HD upgrade.) Notice there's working space on my desk. Gotta love them LCDs. :clap:

oh my dear lord i am jealous. :clap:

Gator
08-11-04, 08:04 AM
...i *refuse* to use dual head output (only 2 seperate video cards... dual head output is teh sux)...

Now why do you say that? I've used dual head with my previous TI4400 and my current FX5900XT, and the performance difference between single & dual head was marginal. In fact at one point I was suspicious of lost performance from dual head on my TI4400, so I installed a GF2MX PCI card for the secondary (non-gaming) display. Sure enough the GF2MX PCI did not provide any noticable performance benefit to the primary display, and I sold the PCI card less than a month after purchasing it.

So I ask, why do you think dual head is a bad thing? It really doesn't use that much extra video memory to display a wallpaper on one screen while the other is playing a game.