PDA

View Full Version : "Are You Ready" web site passwords


Cotita
10-30-02, 03:11 AM
Just finished game1 from nvidia's page

Got the passwords for October 28 (Twintexel), november4 and november11.

I'll post the passwords later in the day.

Cotita
10-30-02, 10:43 AM
Will Nov 11 be the launch date??

Nov 4 pass: Cg

Nov 11 pass: CineFx

Chalnoth
10-30-02, 11:04 AM
I thought it was supposed to be November 18. Would make sense that all info will be freely-downloadable by then. Anyway, I think this whole thing by nVidia is quite silly.

FastM
10-30-02, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Chalnoth
Anyway, I think this whole thing by nVidia is quite silly.

True, but if the NV30 lives up to all the hype, then it deserves a little build-up.

Nutty
10-30-02, 03:56 PM
Anyway, I think this whole thing by nVidia is quite silly.

Jeeez! wheres your sense of humour? Lighten up dude.. It's all good :)

Chalnoth
10-30-02, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by FastM
True, but if the NV30 lives up to all the hype, then it deserves a little build-up.

Only there hasn't been hardly any real hype. The programming-side releases, I don't think, can be considered hype. They're too technical in nature for most people to care. Besides, they won't make much difference for games in the near-term.

And the only buildup from nVidia that we've seen are very, very vague things like, "It's going to be great!" They've been very careful about not releasing any real specifications of the hardware.

In other words, we have nothing. We don't have hype like, "It's going to outperform the Radeon 9700 by 2x!" or anything concrete like that, nothing that could possibly turn into a disappointment. I don't think it's real hype unless it's something real, concrete (most especially comparisons to existing hardware).

The fact that nVidia is working on something is a given. I don't see how any of this should have any bearing on anybody's deicisions right now.

The Baron
10-30-02, 05:34 PM
They're hyping the hype.

Comdex will be a paper launch, nothing more, but they will release specs. So.... that's when everything Chal refers to as hype will come out...

Chalnoth
10-30-02, 05:45 PM
I don't believe Comdex will be just a paper launch. Abit is supposedly going to be announcing their version of the NV30 at the same time (and presumably other manufacturers as well). Usually board designers don't announce their versions of a board unless they're ready to ship.

Additionally, the estimated tape-out date places the availability of the NV30 at very close to mid-November. I don't really expect it to be available immediately upon launch, but there should at least be limited availability by early December (about two weeks after...which is normal).

Uttar
10-31-02, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Chalnoth
I don't believe Comdex will be just a paper launch. Abit is supposedly going to be announcing their version of the NV30 at the same time (and presumably other manufacturers as well). Usually board designers don't announce their versions of a board unless they're ready to ship.

Additionally, the estimated tape-out date places the availability of the NV30 at very close to mid-November. I don't really expect it to be available immediately upon launch, but there should at least be limited availability by early December (about two weeks after...which is normal).

Actually, there's another possibility: they aren't ready to put it in stores, but they got review samples ready to ship. And it's real hard to give review samples without announcing it first! :)


Uttar

StealthHawk
10-31-02, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Uttar
Actually, there's another possibility: they aren't ready to put it in stores, but they got review samples ready to ship. And it's real hard to give review samples without announcing it first! :)


Uttar

and isn't that the same thing as a paper launch? ship samples to reviewers, let them rant and rave about the product, create hype for hardware enthusiasts. let said enthusiasts mull over when/why the product isn't out yet.

Uttar
10-31-02, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by StealthHawk
and isn't that the same thing as a paper launch? ship samples to reviewers, let them rant and rave about the product, create hype for hardware enthusiasts. let said enthusiasts mull over when/why the product isn't out yet.

Hmm, yeah, you're right there.
However, there are paper launches without reviews ( *cough* Parhelia *cough* ) , and i'm betting this will be one with reviews.

I'd guess the NV30 will be in stores at about December, 10 - before that, it's pretty much utopic. After that, well, they'd get a real bad reputation for paper launches ( nForce, nForce 2 is alreayd much )


Uttar

imtim83
10-31-02, 07:00 AM
I thought i was the only one without a sense of humor. I like what nvidia is sorta doing because it keeps wanting me to know what the specs are on the NV30 you know.

thcdru2k
10-31-02, 08:15 AM
uh oh..watch nvidia bust out with the 128bit Memory Interface.

Chalnoth
10-31-02, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Uttar
Actually, there's another possibility: they aren't ready to put it in stores, but they got review samples ready to ship. And it's real hard to give review samples without announcing it first! :)


Uttar

Usually review samples are put out before big announcements. This is why you often see a couple of websites breaking their NDA's and posting benchmarks and whatnot.

And Uttar, nForce/nForce2 are motherboard chipsets, which are rather different. nVidia will probably get much better at gaining availability nearer announcements of their motherboard chipsets after gaining a better reputation in the motherboard chipset market, which hopefully means soon.