PDA

View Full Version : Error Message After POST. What To Do? Help!

GamerGuyX
08-10-04, 10:51 PM
Okay. I have just built my new PC about a week ago. Everything was fine. I had it installed with Windows XP Home Edition. I got Windows XP Corporate Edition (don't ask) from a friend and have decided to install that to replace Home Edition. So i completely un-installed XP Home Edition. Now I am trying to get the XP Corporate edition installed but I get some wierd error message. This is what I get:

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device

WTF! Aaaarggh! I don't remember having this happen to me before! I can't even install Home Edition now even if I wanted to! I haven't changed anything. So what the heck could be the problem!?

More specifically, I get the error message right after the computer first POST's. Please help me! Please. I am going to be up all night trying to figure this out, I just know it... :cry:

Warden13
08-10-04, 11:00 PM
You need to go into your BIOS (hold delete when booting) and change the boot order. Tell it to boot from CD-ROm first and you can boot off the Windows XP install disc and follow the installation procedures.

Warden

GamerGuyX
08-10-04, 11:03 PM
You need to go into your BIOS (hold delete when booting) and change the boot order. Tell it to boot from CD-ROm first and you can boot off the Windows XP install disc and follow the installation procedures.

Warden

That's exactly what I did. I put the CD-ROM drive as 1st boot. Hard drive as 2nd boot. Floppy drive as 3rd boot. Still the same error message... :cry:

EDIT: To be more specific. I get a black screen with a single white line that flashes in the upper-left corner. After about a minute or two the error message pops up. I have no idea what to do...

Warden13
08-10-04, 11:19 PM
Have you cleared your CMOS yet? I would do that and then try again, although after clearing it you'll lilkely have to reset your boot order. I assume the CD-Rom is running off the standard IDE controller on the motherboard? If it's on a SATA device or some kind of add in board you will have trouble booting from it.

Warden

jAkUp
08-10-04, 11:25 PM
hmmm... make sure the cdrom is working properly, and its plugged in, as well as the primary/secondary is set correctly

GamerGuyX
08-11-04, 07:09 AM
I assume the CD-Rom is running off the standard IDE controller on the motherboard? If it's on a SATA device or some kind of add in board you will have trouble booting from it.

Warden

The CD Drive is hooked up to the primary IDE connector. The hard Drive is hooked up through the motherboards onboard SATA connector. And I don't have a RAID setup.

Right now I am at "work" and I cannot try anything until I get home later tonight. I will try clearing CMOS just for the heck of it. I already checked to make sure everything is hooked up alright. I also checked the CD Drive to make sure it was set as master. I guess I will also try to swap out my CD Drive for another one to see if that works. :argh:

kraigc
08-11-04, 09:36 AM
as soon as its done posting, start hitting space bar to load from cd

GamerGuyX
08-11-04, 09:41 AM
as soon as its done posting, start hitting space bar to load from cd

I hope it's as simple as that. You better believe that I will be tapping that bar at 100 mph... :clap:

kraigc
08-11-04, 09:43 AM
just make sure the boot priority is set correctly

GamerGuyX
08-11-04, 09:45 AM
just make sure the boot priority is set correctly

Let me just make sure:

1st boot: CD Drive
2nd boot: Hard Drive
3rd boot: Floppy Drive

That is the proper sequence correct?

kraigc
08-11-04, 12:11 PM
That should work as long as you only have 1 optical drive

GamerGuyX
08-11-04, 12:13 PM
That should work as long as you only have 1 optical drive

Yup. I only got one.

jAkUp
08-11-04, 05:54 PM
Also make sure that the SATA in the BIOS is set to "Combined mode" That enables both IDE and SATA devices. Make sure its not set to "SATA Only."

Also try the cdrom on the secondary IDE channel/master... some motherboards use the SATA channel as the primary IDE 1. That can cause some problems for some drives.

GamerGuyX
08-12-04, 07:16 AM
Well after a long night of troubleshooting, I finally found out what the problem was. My CD Burner was broken. THAT WHOLE TIME THAT'S WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS!!! :mad: Ugh. But I guess it could of been worse. I was starting to think that something bad happened to the motherboard. I have an extra Samsung drive laying around so I am temporarily using that for now.

And I also want to say thanks to you guys. You put up with me and my dilemma even though you didn't have to. I really appreciate all the effort on your guys part. :) It meant a lot. :clap:

saturnotaku
08-12-04, 07:19 AM
Well after a long night of troubleshooting, I finally found out what the problem was. My CD Burner was broken.

I know how that is. My Lite-On burner just died. It would be recognized by the BIOS but it wouldn't read any CDs - pressed or burned. I ended up having to run out last night and replace it with a cheap 56x CD-ROM. My DVD burner will suit me just fine for normal CD burning duties. And to show just how cheap this new CD-ROM drive is it shows up in device manager as "56X CD-ROM." :retard:

Oh well, the Lite-On cost me $38 about a year ago so I'd say it was definitely worth the investment.

GamerGuyX
08-12-04, 09:22 AM
It would be recognized by the BIOS but it wouldn't read any CDs - pressed or burned.

That's EXACTLY what happened to me! I took my whole computer apart because of it...