PDA

View Full Version : An XFX 6800 Ultra on eBay... Buy it now for $500.

JesseJames
08-11-04, 02:09 AM
Is this too good to be true?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40161&item=5115240673&rd=1

Have 50 on hand and free shipping. Will ship worldwide.

13 left as of 3AM EDT...

Hmmm....

Vagrant Zero
08-11-04, 03:31 AM
Note: Before using the Buy It Now opption please contact seller with all your question , if u don`t your order will not proced and u will recive negativ feedback ! we have 50 pices in stock redy to be shipped !

Can't these idiots spell. WTF was that? I've seen better AOL speak. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence does it?

saturnotaku
08-11-04, 07:00 AM
They do have 100% on more than 300 feedback so that is good. However, I would be very careful with the XFX Ultra. I had one and I had to downclock the memory to get it to run stably. Caveat empetor.

x[sliver]
08-11-04, 07:08 AM
Looks like a hijacked ebay account. I reported this as fraud internally since I work at ebay :). Look at all the feedback/previous items. Don't send your money his way.

ATI_Dude
08-11-04, 07:19 AM
I agree. That one has "fraud" written all over it. Just look at all the indentical feedback posts :rolleyes2

x[sliver]
08-11-04, 07:52 AM
I agree. That one has "fraud" written all over it. Just look at all the indentical feedback posts :rolleyes2
That could be actually due to a "bug" that existed a day or so ago :))

JoKeRr
08-11-04, 07:57 AM
how do you guys tell about Fraud eBay account?? I want to learn more

Ice Nine
08-11-04, 09:04 AM
how do you guys tell about Fraud eBay account?? I want to learn more

Yeah, that auction above is a COMPLETE scam. The seller is obviously a victim of phishing.

Telltale signs...

1. Seller recently purchased a ton of small items for positive feedback (like sub-$10 items), then suddenly sells one or more LARGE items (laptops, expensive video cards, plasma TV's, etc).

2. Seller was initially in the USA for the duration of his seller auctions (like the auction above), but all of a sudden is located overseas in Italy, Romania, Indonesia, etc.

3. Biggest telltale sign: Seller only accepts Western Union wire transfers (no bidpay, paypal, credit cards, etc). Usually uses a scam like "You provide a password that I need to use to retrieve the money AFTER you receive the item", etc. If you wire someone money via western union, they don't need anything to pick it up except some ID. They do this because the wire transfer can be picked up and paid in CASH, without the person having to disclose their real address. They can make a fake ID, pick up the funds, and Western Union will never be able to find them to follow up on the fraud report.

Those are just a few signs, but #3 is the biggest.

JoKeRr
08-11-04, 10:24 AM
damn, those ppl should be busted ASAP.

::Qcx:
08-11-04, 12:24 PM
Yeah, sounds like a scam. A seller that doesn't even offer Paypal or Visa as a payment method is obsiously a criminal IMO.

Only visa or paypal takes action against fraud as they loose money with it. If you get ripped off sending money using western union or wire transfer, neither eBay or the police will give a damn about your problem, your money is lost and the criminal doesn't even have any chance getting caugh as no one will do anything for you...

JoKeRr
08-11-04, 01:18 PM
the seller should at least provide a pic. of 20Ultras together as a proof, this guy should be busted right now.

sancheuz
08-11-04, 01:59 PM
I've just reported him to ebay. Let you know what happens.

Riff
08-11-04, 02:13 PM
I was going to buy one of these last night. I contacted the seller and they emailed me saying that they work for a store that just opened shop in Italy. This screamed out fraud, as the item description states that the location is Canton, Michigan. I asked for an explanation of why paypal wasnt accepted for this particular auction, when it said that the seller usually accepts paypal, and they never replied.

BrownHornet
08-12-04, 02:06 AM
The one sell he was able to make must have really though he was getting a product from him. Or he was non imformitive when he figured out it was fruad to the rest of us.

Whats really dumb about this sell is how the seller goes from tons of 2 dollar wood trinkets to 600 dollar computer parts that are in high demand.

Great seller was able to cancel order and understood WU would not take my card

x[sliver]
08-12-04, 12:18 PM
The way these scams are.. the real person who had all those previous succesfull ebay auctions is not the same person who you saw list this. They had their account hi-jacked by some email they recieved/opened and went to a url and entered their username and password. Happens too often...

GlowStick
08-12-04, 12:45 PM
']The way these scams are.. the real person who had all those previous succesfull ebay auctions is not the same person who you saw list this. They had their account hi-jacked by some email they recieved/opened and went to a url and entered their username and password. Happens too often...
Yes, for some reason alot of hijacked account seem to be selling motorcycles, me and my friend noticed this a while back, in a serach for a suzuki gsxr600 the whole first page was 100% fraud's. THey were all brand new bikes 0 miles 2,999$ .......