PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Silencer NV5 total crap / not functional on 6800 Ultra!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

analogmaster
08-11-04, 10:08 AM
i have just read the information in another forum.....

the new silencer that so many ppl wait for to drop the noise of their ultra does not work on ultra cuz ultras have a 2-slot design and the silencer is made ONLY for the 1 slot design of the 6800 series :(

arctic does not offer another single slot t oexchange it with the original 2-slot...

they only pack their silencer with the 1-slot ventilation thingy (which u cannot use when havin the 2-slot 6800 Ultra design)

conclusion:

nice for 6800GT and 6800NU but not possible to use on 6800 Ultra :lame: :lame: :lame:

Chippy
08-11-04, 10:22 AM
i have just read the information in another forum.....

Link?

analogmaster
08-11-04, 10:30 AM
do u understand german?

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42

problem is that the ultras already have a 2-slot blend and the arctic silencer, once it is srewed on the card, would use the 2nd slot für exhaust.... but as the blend on the ultra is massive and arctic does not deliver a 1-slot exhchange blend to use the 2nd slot with just the silencer the 6800Ultra users are pretty fuct with the NV5 :(

fully functional on 6800GT and non ultra (as they are only 1-slot card and the 2nd slot can be used by the silencer) and crap on the 6800ULtra (as they are ALREADY 2-slot card and therefore the massive blend already occupies the 2nd slot and the hot air won't be exhausted through a massibe blend)

Zetto
08-11-04, 10:31 AM
u worried about the backplate... The original VGA silencer comes with a replacement backplate, with a HOLE to vent hot air outside (i.e. u replace the one on ur videocard). THere is no reason to believe that the new nv silencer 5 won't come with one too. Quit spreading stupid rumors!!! :lame: :lol2: :nanahump: :) Wait until u actually see it in retail before making judgements like this :D (not that I didn't but I relied on manufacturer's info ;) and not some nub's info on some obscure forum (newb) )

analogmaster
08-11-04, 10:35 AM
--Personal Insults will not be tolerated --ChrisRay

Zetto
08-11-04, 10:39 AM
duh, anaolog, learn english first (no offense).. I said "replacement" backplate... replace means u remove the original one and put in the one with the hole :D

analogmaster
08-11-04, 10:47 AM
no, the silencer does not come with such a replacement backplate :D

wanna see sum pix?

http://img63.exs.cx/img63/1433/DSC01506.th.jpg (http://img63.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img63&image=DSC01506.jpg)

plz check the size of the original backplate of the 6800U and the place where the exhaust of the silencer would drop out..... and then tell me again where u wanna "replace a plate"

oh and before i forget it, maybe u should check these pix also ;)

http://img63.exs.cx/img63/3461/DSC1509.th.jpg (http://img63.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img63&image=DSC1509.jpg)

http://img63.exs.cx/img63/2187/DSC01509.th.jpg (http://img63.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img63&image=DSC01509.jpg)

Edit:No More personal attacks -ChrisRay

Zetto
08-11-04, 10:50 AM
whatever... I refuse to talk to a person who calls me an "idiot".

Anyone knows if it's possible to add a person to an ignore list on this forum?

JoKeRr
08-11-04, 10:52 AM
wowowowwww, chill out mr. analog, jsut show them the pic of the back plate of 6800U will solve the problem.... unless u use a dremel, NV silencer's exhaust will be blocked. I think that's what u r tryin to say. No need to swear at ppl over the internet, plus 6800U only offers Digital output, if u still want Analog, u'll need a converter (j/k)

analogmaster
08-11-04, 10:56 AM
whatever... I refuse to talk to a person who calls me an "idiot".

Edit: Ya you get the idea --ChrisRay

@ jokerr: yeah... that is the problem and that is why the silencer cannot be used on 6800U with 2-slot backplates...

dunno why arctic did not pack an exchange 1-slot backplate beside the exhaustplate into the package...

well, that clearly sux0rz

Mikeyb
08-11-04, 11:08 AM
I must be stupid cus I see nothing wrong! So Yell at me away cus I'm buying IT!

analogmaster
08-11-04, 11:14 AM
if u own a 2-slot 6800ULtra u will see when your silencer arrives ;)

if u own a GT or a non ultra/GT there will be no problem :)

Riptide
08-11-04, 11:23 AM
Where is a mod when you need one? Zetto, you could've been a little bit more tender with your approach there but analogmaster's response was way out of line and extremely disrespectful.

analogmaster
08-11-04, 11:29 AM
no need to be respectful to persons that call me liar or n00b and offend me when i just wanted to help ppl not to get dissapointed when they buy the silencer and see that it does not work without voiding their warraties by having to manipulate the originalbackplate and not just srewing it down in order to make the silencer work properly on 6800Ultras

it is a matter of fact that the other person from the 3dcenter forum already owns a silencer (just like others down in germany) AND a 6800Ultra (check pix) and as there does not come a single slot replacement plate with the silencer (like sum ppl might think they have heard from the manufacturer LOL) , just the exhaust plate, it cannot be used in the way the silencer was meant to be...

Chippy
08-11-04, 11:33 AM
I changed my mind.

analogmaster
08-11-04, 11:36 AM
how often shall i tell it again....

several ppl already own the silencer... and it DOES NOT COME with such a backplate....

plz check the pix of the box some postings above and tell me where u see such a backplate u r talking about....

there is no other backplate....

i now know 5 (!!!) ppl that own a NV5 and noone has any other beackplate beside that exhaustplate........

all those ppl now start to make new backplates using some plates from their towers cuz arctic does not deliver such a backplate unfortunately :(

call me liar, n00b or whatever, you will see when your silencer arrives

ChrisRay
08-11-04, 01:17 PM
how often shall i tell it again....

several ppl already own the silencer... and it DOES NOT COME with such a backplate....

plz check the pix of the box some postings above and tell me where u see such a backplate u r talking about....

there is no other backplate....

i now know 5 (!!!) ppl that own a NV5 and noone has any other beackplate beside that exhaustplate........

all those ppl now start to make new backplates using some plates from their towers cuz arctic does not deliver such a backplate unfortunately :(

call me liar, n00b or whatever, you will see when your silencer arrives

No one has called you anything. But these personal attacks you have made towards the members will not be tolerated. I dont want to see this kind of behavior again,

Your posts have been pruned and edited, Failure to comply will result` in more permanent action.

Chris

Banko
08-11-04, 01:54 PM
In your 3rd pic I see a replacement backplate.

Chippy
08-11-04, 02:20 PM
In your 3rd pic I see a replacement backplate.

Yes but its only a single, isn't it. So if you have a 6800 or a 6800 GT you sit the new backplate next to your existing single attached to the card.

But unfortunately the Ultra has a double backplate already, so what do you do? You can't fit the new backplate that comes with the Silencer, because there's nowhere to put it. And you can't remove the Ultra's own backplate because Arctic Cooling don't supply a double one with which to replace it.

Arctic Cooling used to include a double backplate. I can only assume that the new Silencer 5 does not have sufficient cooling capacity for the Ultra and that is why they are not allowing you to fit it on Ultras.

I cannot believe that this is a mere "oversight" on their part. Its not exactly a secret that the Ultra has a double backplate, is it. So Arctic Cooling must surely be preventing you from fitting it to an Ultra for a reason.

Chip.

Banko
08-11-04, 02:24 PM
Maybe it's a weird 1slot solution? or maybe they'll have 2 versions of the version5 one for the ultra and for the 6800nu/gt

911medic
08-11-04, 02:36 PM
i now know 5 (!!!) ppl that own a NV5 OK, let me preface this by stating that no where in this particular post do I call you a liar or a n00b. ;)
Now, having said that, how do those 5 people like their NV5 (assuming they've been able to get it to work on their cards)? Have their temps dropped significantly? How's the noise?

analogmaster
08-11-04, 02:39 PM
. I can only assume that the new Silencer 5 does not have sufficient cooling capacity for the Ultra and that is why they are not allowing you to fit it on Ultras.

according to the ppl who have customized standardbackplates of their case to fit the double-DVI connectors and the tv-out and installed the silencer on thier 6800Ultras the cooling works very fine (~45° idle, ~66° load) and the cooler works pretty noiseless so there is no real reason not to certify the cooler for ultras and it also says "for 6800 (GT, Ultra)" on the box........

a GT is quite the same as the ultra according to temperature as far as i have seen it on my rig

dunno why they missed it out and we can only hope they will package a correct backplate in upcoming shipments....

for now this is plainly :lame:

analogmaster
08-11-04, 02:42 PM
OK, let me preface this by stating that no where in this particular post do I call you a liar or a n00b. ;)
Now, having said that, how do those 5 people like their NV5 (assuming they've been able to get it to work on their cards)? Have their temps dropped significantly? How's the noise?

answered in former post ;)

Fatman
08-11-04, 03:47 PM
Their website says NV5 Silencer does not cool memory, what gives? What's the solution, alternatives?

Blacklash
08-11-04, 06:11 PM
Is a silencer that much better than the Ultra's stock? I could see its benefit to the GT as we have crappy coolers.