PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Ultra Random Restarts!!!?

Pages : [1] 2

neptune_tech
08-12-04, 07:53 AM
Help!!!

My computer randomly restarts itself since i installed my new 6800Ultra.

I've tried the newest divers, even the .20 beta. Fast writes is disabled. 2d and 3d clocks are the same.

Thing is, its not overheating, games are rock solid, silky smooth. Its not the PSU as its an Antec 480w.

What do i do? The computer doesnt freeze, just resests. And not just while under load. Was just surfing the net when it went before. Was perfect when running doom3!!!!

Any ideas would be helpful.

What about a bios flash? What version?

Cheers

Ice Nine
08-12-04, 07:57 AM
Help!!!

My computer randomly restarts itself since i installed my new 6800Ultra.

I've tried the newest divers, even the .20 beta. Fast writes is disabled. 2d and 3d clocks are the same.

Thing is, its not overheating, games are rock solid, silky smooth. Its not the PSU as its an Antec 480w.

What do i do? The computer doesnt freeze, just resests. And not just while under load. Was just surfing the net when it went before. Was perfect when running doom3!!!!

Any ideas would be helpful.

What about a bios flash? What version?

Cheers

That's USUALLY the result of an inadequate power supply... but an Antec 480W should be more than enough. Do you have a heavy load on it?

neptune_tech
08-12-04, 08:05 AM
3 HDD
2 CD
6 fans

Shouldnt be too loaded?

DaveW
08-12-04, 08:05 AM
I had that issue and it was due to overclocking my system ram. Try resetting everything to default clock speeds.

neptune_tech
08-12-04, 08:50 AM
I had that issue and it was due to overclocking my system ram. Try resetting everything to default clock speeds.

Tried that. Still did it!

Smurfie
08-12-04, 08:58 AM
Try temporarily disconnecting 2 harddisks and the 2 CD drives and test it again? If it still reboots, at least we know it's not a power load problem.

peter_storm
08-12-04, 11:49 AM
What Motherboard and memory do you have? It might be worth checking out your manufacturer's user forums, most likely your not the only one to have this problem. Chances are it's a problem with memory, try running memtest86.

holmes
08-12-04, 01:13 PM
Had that problem with my Antec Smartpower 350W. It could play Doom3 for hours, then reboot when playing Farcry or browsing the internet. Eventually it did it when playing Doom3. At first I tried fixing the problem by bumping up my vcore and/or vdimm, but it still happened. I finally came to the conclusion I head dreaded all along, my power supply. I just upgraded to a Trupower 430W and my problems went away. You do have a pretty beefy PSU, but I'd double check just to make sure..

SigmaOrionis
08-13-04, 12:23 AM
Neptune,

Why dont you disable the automatic reboot feature.

Right Click MY COMPUTER
Advanced tab
Startup and recovery

Untick the automatic reboot feature

This will let your computer crash with an error message instead of just rebooting automatically. You might be able to get some information of the error message.

fineday
08-13-04, 12:28 AM
3 HDD
2 CD
6 fans

Shouldnt be too loaded?
So many...Take away some of them and try again

jAkUp
08-13-04, 12:33 AM
Is it an evga? Well I had loads of problems with my card until I flashed the latest BIOS... I flashed it to nVidia Rev. 2 found here:
http://membres.lycos.fr/headquaker/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=76

neptune_tech
08-13-04, 03:54 AM
Well its reset itself twice already this morning witin 45 mins, yet it went for 5 hours straight yesterday!! Arrrrgggh.

Disabling auto restart didnt do anything.

Just found that the 6800 shares irq 19 with a network card. The network card is always in use so it shouldnt be that?

Motherboard is a Soltek GoldenFlame with RAID. Mem is 1024MB DDR400 OCZ Platinum. Tested with memtest OK. Anyway, was fine before the 6800!

Very tempted with the BIOS upgrade. Is this really safe? What are the best switches for nvflash to use?

Will also try unplugging drives too.

Thanks again every1

Oh, and, i know this sounds strange, but i dont know what make the card is! When i ordered it they said they 'think' its a gainward. But when it came is was in a plain box and the card itself looks like the nvidia reference card! It has nvidia on the back and has the green board. Have a look at http://www.order247.co.uk/ - its on the home page.

SigmaOrionis
08-13-04, 04:20 AM
I'm sure you already tried these things but.

Did you try switching the network card to a different PCI slot.

Do you have the option reserve IRQ for VGA enabled in the bios.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS on your motherboard. Maybe a setting is messed up and going to defaults will fix it.

I know this is a stretch but, these boards are really long could you maybe have bumped something. Maybe just push on the main and aux ATX power connectors to make sure there tight.

Hope you get it figured out. I know I would be pulling my hair out if I was in your shoes.

Good Luck

neptune_tech
08-13-04, 09:41 AM
Dont have reserve irq. But i will try taking the NIC out. ATX Connectors seem fine - give them a good 'wiggle'.

Ok, i dont know what you think of this but im convinced its not the PSU, heres why!:

I ran a little test (or rather a big one!). I got the PC to do the following things all at the same time:

Write a cd from files on drive 1
Play a DVD
Copy a 1gb file from drive 2 to 3
Run a intensive 3d demo (HDR Test) in a window

So thats using ALL drives and ALL power connectors at the same time. It doesnt get more stressful than that!!!!

I think its a bios flash time. Any hints?

jAkUp
08-13-04, 09:52 AM
Well if you do decide to flash the bios get nvflash from here:
http://www.mvktech.net/

Dont download the bios from there though, just use the nvflash tool and the guide. The bios from there didnt work for my card... use the nvidia bios flash ver2 from the link above. And be careful! I would cry if I killed my 6800 ultra..heh

neptune_tech
08-13-04, 12:32 PM
Ok, I have successfully flashed it with nvidia Rev2. Now, only time will tell.....

neptune_tech
08-13-04, 02:37 PM
I dont believe it! It still doesnt work. Two hours then reboot!!!!! Im gutted.

I'll have to try it in another PC. If it does the same in that then its going back.

SpiderWoW
08-13-04, 03:17 PM
i was close to reflashing an bios, but after i ihad a closer look to some of the bios by a tool where you can modify the clock speeds inside the bios (can be found in the bios thread) i was too suspicious. the nvidia rev 2 bios has clocksettings 300 core and 300 memory for 3d mode (the rev1 has the usual 400/550x2=1100) ?! i was wondering and decided for the other solution heavily discussed already in that forum. i equaled the clocks for 2d and 3d (so raised the 2D 400 to 425 as my 3d setting was). since then working great.

btw you can also try some bios settings like agp aperture size (/me=256), pci delay transaction (/me=enable), dont recall the parameters name UC/UCSW (/me=UCSW=more timing critical...for a time i was thinking i have to set it to the old UC method).

would hope it works also for you!

neptune_tech
08-13-04, 05:24 PM
Just had it running in another PC fine for a while. Went to clock frequencies in the nvidia drive (automatically set to 400/400 and not 300 like the bios tool said!!). Anyway went to knock it up to 425, clicked test and BAM! off it goes. Whats this then?

So, its not my PC. Hmmmm

neptune_tech
08-14-04, 09:57 AM
Well, tried everything possible now. So its bust. I've boxed it up and had to stick a GeForce 2 MX in now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :argh:

Thanks for all your help guys. :thumbsup:

:cry:

neptune_tech
08-14-04, 10:24 AM
Hello, me again !!!!

Now this is strange. Like i said running the GF2MX. Left the PC to get a drink and when i came back the pc was restarting!!!

WHAT!!????

This doesnt make sense, how can it be my pc if the ultra didnt work in another PC?

odin20
08-14-04, 10:30 AM
sorry to say but i have a enermax 450 watt sitting here right now and had trouble with it. They just don't have a great 5 volt rail and lack the power (rated) of the antec's. I now have a 550watt antec.

neptune_tech
08-15-04, 04:19 AM
Testing the ultra again in another machine.

Lezmaka
08-15-04, 04:33 AM
Hello, me again !!!!

Now this is strange. Like i said running the GF2MX. Left the PC to get a drink and when i came back the pc was restarting!!!

WHAT!!????

This doesnt make sense, how can it be my pc if the ultra didnt work in another PC?

Just because it's an Antec 480W doesn't mean it's ok and couldn't be the problem. Power supplies can go bad like anything else.

As for the other PC, did it have good enough power supply? When you overclock something, it needs more and more juice.

neptune_tech
08-15-04, 08:33 AM
The other PC has a nasty 'Eagle 350W'! Whatever that is.