PDA

View Full Version : 6600 and 6600GT Preview

Pages : [1] 2 3

Clay
08-12-04, 08:12 AM
Welcome to the new mainstream video card offerings from NVIDIA. Known prior to now as the NV43 chipset, today we are introducing you to the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series comprised of the 6600 and the 6600GT.

http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_6600_series/

jnd3
08-12-04, 08:18 AM
Nice work on that! I should be able to stretch some life out of the 5800U until those babies hit the shelves...

saturnotaku
08-12-04, 08:20 AM
Are those mpeg/TV video enhancement features also on the 6800 series?

Clay
08-12-04, 08:33 AM
Are those mpeg/TV video enhancement features also on the 6800 series?As I understand things currently the 6800 series only has decoding functionality while the 6600 series has both decoding and encoding. More details will come from NVIDIA on this in the coming days/weeks.

zakelwe
08-12-04, 08:36 AM
I guess that means Quakecon has started LOL :D

I went to read your answer and saw the front page ..heh ..nice work.

Regards

Andy

JoKeRr
08-12-04, 08:36 AM
the video encoding and decoding feature looks SWEEETTT

dazilla
08-12-04, 08:40 AM
Man, I might be able to get the performance of a 6800 Ultra with 2 6600GT's!

I guess we just have to wait for the reviews to find out for sure.

zakelwe
08-12-04, 08:46 AM

I guess we just have to wait for the reviews to find out for sure.

Well if it is almost double the performance it will be like an approx 500Mhz 6800U, for $400. Not bad.

Regards

Andy

Clay
08-12-04, 08:48 AM

I guess we just have to wait for the reviews to find out for sure.Somewhere near that potential seems to be plausible, yes. But you're right, we need to not jump the gun until we have a chance to actually review these cards. As that stands right now, a PCI Express motherboard is part of that picture but we should see AGP versions sometime in October/November.

superklye
08-12-04, 09:08 AM
That's awesome and really well written. Good job. :)

There are a couple of questions that I've been wanting to ask and this seems like as good a time as any.

First, what is the superscalar architechture? It just seems like buzzwords that sound awesome but really don't mean anything.

And what is IQ in reference to video cards?

dazilla
08-12-04, 09:11 AM
Image Quality.

superklye
08-12-04, 09:18 AM
Image Quality.

ahhhhhh....for some reason I thought it had to do with the core's processing ability, or something like that.

Clay
08-12-04, 09:19 AM
That's awesome and really well written. Good job. :)

There are a couple of questions that I've been wanting to ask and this seems like as good a time as any.

First, what is the superscalar architechture? It just seems like buzzwords that sound awesome but really don't mean anything.

And what is IQ in reference to video cards?Thanks for the feedback! :) Superscalar basically means that four instructions and eight operations per pixel are possible on the NV4x product line (double that of past architectures). [H] had a good explanation here (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjA1LDM=) (near bottom of the page).

zakelwe
08-12-04, 09:22 AM
Looks like the 9800XT is dead in thw water now along with all the FX 59XX cards ......

Regards

Andy

Lalander
08-12-04, 09:22 AM
As I understand things currently the 6800 series only has decoding functionality while the 6600 series has both decoding and encoding. More details will come from NVIDIA on this in the coming days/weeks.

Currently?
Does this mean that the 6600 series has better functionality in this aspect, but the 6800 series will get encoding through a driver update later?

Hartley
08-12-04, 09:26 AM
How does Nvidia get its hand on a X600xt ?

They ask for a swap ? :)

SH64
08-12-04, 09:29 AM
I must really start considring a SLI mobo for my next upgrade (a.k.a nForce 4) .. :ORDER:

OWA
08-12-04, 09:35 AM
Nice preview and I look forward to the full review (of SLI, etc.).

I must really start considring a SLI mobo for my next upgrade (a.k.a nForce 4)
My thoughts exactly.

Pandora's Box
08-12-04, 09:40 AM
im amazed at how short the card is. looks like a winner for nvidia.

msxyz
08-12-04, 09:47 AM
I was looking forward to see NVidia's new midrange offering but, now that it has been officially announced, I'm kind of disappointed:

128MB only: looking at the pics, it seems that the reference design does not allow more than 4 memory chips on the GT.Since the trend in videogames is for more and more video memory to store larger texture and vertex data, 128Mb for a midrange card does not seem future proof to me, esepecially if the card already has the potential to use high resolutions or anti-aliasing.

Absolute lack of info on the AGP part: seriously, how many PCIe boards do they think the market can absorb? Right now, the only PCIe platform available is based on the i9xx chipset and it's still showing teething problems. It is safe to assume that they won't appear in numbers before 2005. Besides, how many people are going to purchase the latest and hottest piece of technology to use a midrange card ?

Clay
08-12-04, 09:58 AM
I was looking forward to see NVidia's new midrange offering but, now that it has been officially announced, I'm kind of disappointed:

128MB only: looking at the pics, it seems that the reference design does not allow more than 4 memory chips on the GT.Since the trend in videogames is for more and more video memory to store larger texture and vertex data, 128Mb for a midrange card does not seem future proof to me, esepecially if the card already has the potential to use high resolutions or anti-aliasing.

Absolute lack of info on the AGP part: seriously, how many PCIe boards do they think the market can absorb? Right now, the only PCIe platform available is based on the i9xx chipset and it's still showing teething problems. It is safe to assume that they won't appear in numbers before 2005. Besides, how many people are going to purchase the latest and hottest piece of technology to use a mdirange card ?Conjecture at this stage is just that. ;) We won't know anything for sure until these cards are tested. 128MB for 1024x768 resolution gaming (where most mainstreamers game at) is nothing to sneeze at. I agree that the PCI Express part being released before the AGP part is somewhat puzzling. However, given the fact that NVIDIA is focusing on the OEM market (of which who knows the percentage moving towards PCI Express at this point) this may turn out to make good business sense. I'm sure they have some pretty good reasons that we're not privy to. ;)

Clay
08-12-04, 10:00 AM
Currently?
Does this mean that the 6600 series has better functionality in this aspect, but the 6800 series will get encoding through a driver update later?I kind of doubt that this is solely a driver issue but I could obviously be wrong. We will know much more about the video encoding/decoding features in the coming week or two.

Lezmaka
08-12-04, 10:00 AM
It has been said in other previews that the chip can support up to 256MB of ram, but that will be up to the board manufacturers. Even some of the mainstream/low end GFFX boards shipped with 256MB of ram, so it may be very likely that some cards will have 256MB. But perhaps not right away.

There's room for 8 memory chips on the board - the back side of many cards have had ram on them as well. The chips shown in the picture are 256 mega bit which = 32MB. 4*32 on the front + 4*32 on the back = 256MB.

CWB
08-12-04, 10:02 AM
Not that it looks like a bad card or anything...but you still can't find the 6800 GT or Ultra in any sort of quantity whatsoever, especially at MSRP. I'd rather they concentrate on making the cards they "launched" almost 6 months ago available to consumers than "releasing" yet another part I'll never see.

What difference does it make if they "won this round" if you can't even get the d*mn cards?

Clay
08-12-04, 10:14 AM
Not that it looks like a bad card or anything...but you still can't find the 6800 GT or Ultra in any sort of quantity whatsoever, especially at MSRP. I'd rather they concentrate on making the cards they "launched" almost 6 months ago available to consumers than "releasing" yet another part I'll never see.

What difference does it make if they "won this round" if you can't even get the d*mn cards?I can appreciate your frustration regarding availability. However, many people are finding GTs and Ultras to be more and more available. The memory shortage had a lot to do with this I'm sure and this is not a problem reserved to NVIDIA (see ATI's X800XT PE for example). In other words, there is no singular cause or source of blame. Knowing this, I'm glad to see NVIDIA not dragging their feet but rather pressing on with newer tech. Keep in mind also that NVIDIA does not make the cards themselves of course, so to say that they should "concentrate on making the cards" isn't really accurate.