PDA

View Full Version : Doom3 gets "jumpy"

DAC350
08-12-04, 10:06 AM
I have a P4 2.4 with a gig of ram and a 6800 GT. Doom 3 runs like a dream until I get close to something. Example, If I stand close to a light an strafe, the game runs a little "jumpy". But if I back up and strafe around the same light it's smooth as butter. I've tried with vsync on/off and I get the same effect. Does anybody else experience this? It doesn't ruin the game play, it's just slightly jumpy.....but I don't think it should be doing that.

habicht
08-12-04, 10:42 AM
the same here (Athlon 64 3.0, 1 gig ram, 6800 gt)

... i don't know if we mean the same with "jumpy" ;-) but i think my gameplay is at these situations "jumpy" too.
I think it's the vsync which is responsible for this effect ... but without vsync to strafe around looks very bad

I hope that there will be a patch or a trick to avoid these problems (bad optic by strafe around), because vsync get me off 10-15 frames ...

SpiderWoW
08-12-04, 10:48 AM
i have a kind of similar effect on some other games (e.g. farcry)
sometimes when i turn around it get jumpy for a second
then its smooth on the next try

i always was thinking that maybe has something to do with the 256 MB Video Memory and that i am only using AGP 4x (my mainboard is only capable of AGP 4x) - so i was thinking its a moment where huge texture amount are loaded to the videoram. it occurs not very often.

i dont own doom3 until now - but that will not be the same very long.

oozish
08-12-04, 11:23 AM
This sounds less like a game problem and more like a setup/hardware problem...that is, you dont have enough power to run it at your current settings. Drop down to medium quality and see if it goes away.

s-flow
08-12-04, 11:46 AM
I have a P4 2.4 with a gig of ram and a 6800 GT. Doom 3 runs like a dream until I get close to something. Example, If I stand close to a light an strafe, the game runs a little "jumpy". But if I back up and strafe around the same light it's smooth as butter. I've tried with vsync on/off and I get the same effect. Does anybody else experience this? It doesn't ruin the game play, it's just slightly jumpy.....but I don't think it should be doing that.

Could you try with this command in the "doomconfig" and see if there
is any difference - "seta com_fixedTic 1" ?

I have a slight stutter when moving forward.. yours doesn´t seem
to be the same problem though.

DAC350
08-12-04, 01:45 PM
I ran it 800x600 on medium and it still does it. Farcry runs like butter with all the video options maxed. My system may not be the best, but I think it should be able to run D3 1024x768 on high with 4x aa and 8x af.

Code_Fuzion
08-13-04, 09:17 AM
What exactly does 'seta com_fixedTic 1' do?

Beeman
08-13-04, 10:03 AM
I ran it 800x600 on medium and it still does it. Farcry runs like butter with all the video options maxed. My system may not be the best, but I think it should be able to run D3 1024x768 on high with 4x aa and 8x af.

Barely with that processor.

SpiderWoW
08-13-04, 02:56 PM

i recognized AA does not work for me in Doom3. its was alway better to raise the resolution one step instead of turning on 2xAA. so i play it 1600x1200 no AA no AF with 60fps most of the time. thanks to mousesmooting smooth on every movement. turning on 2xAA droped me from 60 to 30-45 fps. in 1600x1200 there is no need for AA, at least for me.