PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust your Fan-Speed for ALL 6800`s via SOFTWARE!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Golden Sample
08-12-04, 05:26 PM
Hi

Well, i have good news for you all.

...really GOOD NEWS!

Since Expert Tool 3.18 was found on one of Gainwards ftp`s, i decided to try it out. (After some guys over @ GW forums told me it rocks)

I have a GW 6800U GS, BUT it´s just a reference design board, so it will work on every board (6800NU/GT/U) i believe!

I even have a XFX Bios flashed (425/1200 2d/3d) so it really is NOT for GW cards only! (Mine is more of an XFX than a GW :rolleyes: )

OK, well this tool offers:

-Overclocking tabs for 2D and 3D (like Coolbits)
-Sys Info pages, with clockspeeds, and stuff like that

...and of course FAN SPEED CONTROL! YEAH!

You are able to adjust your fan in 2D and 3D from 50-100%, in REALTIME!
And you can just set it to "Auto" and it will adjust your speed for you!

I gained some degrees from around 81-82 maxed temp to 76-78 just by setting it to full speed in 3D. And you can just set it to 50% in 2D, so you won`t hear a thing!

Here`s the link:

http://ftp.gainward.com/utility/expertool/expertool_318.zip

Now, what!? Do i deserve a sticky or what!? ...hehehe j/k!

Hope it gives you all something new to play with, for me it`s a "Kick Ass Tool"

Credits go to "Darkblade, Dorftrottel, Ruby and Zith" from the GW forum, who found and tested it! Thanks guys!

Sven :nanahump:

saturnotaku
08-12-04, 05:28 PM
I thought ExperTool looks at the hardware device ID to determine if it's a Gainward manufactured card and it won't run otherwise. Hopefully someone with a BFG, PNY or other can test this. If it does work with any reference card, this is great news.

tret
08-12-04, 05:30 PM
I also have a 6800U GS gainward card and found this software to be pretty cool. I have another PC with a BFG6800GT so when I get home later today I will see if the software works with it as well.

tret

Golden Sample
08-12-04, 05:32 PM
I thought ExperTool looks at the hardware device ID to determine if it's a Gainward manufactured card and it won't run otherwise. Hopefully someone with a BFG, PNY or other can test this. If it does work with any reference card, this is great news.

Hi S. :)

I really have a reference card which was sold as "Golden Sample" :lame: when they started to ship. Meanwhile they are red with special copper cooling! :ORDER:

And i have a XFX bios flashed, and overwritten the device ID during the flash!

--> So it really should work!

best regards

sven :clap:

NoWayDude
08-12-04, 05:36 PM
Well, it works on my XFX
http://img22.exs.cx/img22/8972/untitled384.th.jpg (http://img22.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img22&image=untitled384.jpg)

Golden Sample
08-12-04, 05:40 PM
Well, it works on my XFX
http://img22.exs.cx/img22/8972/untitled384.th.jpg (http://img22.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img22&image=untitled384.jpg)

He, he he...now is this "DA BOMB" or what?! ;)

Well, i think some other tools will support it in the future (Rivatuner and stuff) but for now, it`s just great! 2D @ 50% and 3D 70-100% (depending on weather) and i`m just fine!

bye

sven

Pandora's Box
08-12-04, 05:44 PM
someone care to share max overclock without this tool and max overclock with fan at full blast? would also like to see someone record the sound of the fan as it goes from stock speed to max 100 percent.

NoWayDude
08-12-04, 05:45 PM
He, he he...now is this "DA BOMB" or what?! ;)

Well, i think some other tools will support it in the future (Rivatuner and stuff) but for now, it`s just great! 2D @ 50% and 3D 70-100% (depending on weather) and i`m just fine!

bye

sven

This is a brilliant find.Nice one indeed
(foshiz)

Golden Sample
08-12-04, 05:48 PM
Works really great so far!

I really like this 6800 Ultra more and more ... :drooling:

Sven :)

BTW: STICKY?!? :nanahump:

tret
08-12-04, 05:56 PM
how do you know the GS you got was a ref board with special cooling?

tret

Vagrant Zero
08-12-04, 06:00 PM
Hm...it already had my 3D at 100%. Might be from the overclock [425/1100].

Golden Sample
08-12-04, 06:03 PM
how do you know the GS you got was a ref board with special cooling?

tret

No, it`s a reference board with STANDARD cooling :(

I was pretty surprised, but after all, it runs fine @ Golden Sample speeds, and i`m happy with it. Since a rma would last forever, and i don`t want to overclock further than 430/1200 i`m fine.(I didn`t try to oc further, but some guys even reached 470+/1300 with the reference board from GW!)

I read somwhere that the GW "Special Cooling Solution" with the 2 fans even is 5 degrees warmer than the reference design...lol

Sven

tret
08-12-04, 06:04 PM
Bummer, I have the special "Warmer" Cooler design lol, But it looks cool!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/tretneo/08-10-04_2115.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/tretneo/08-10-04_2116.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/tretneo/08-10-04_2117.jpg

Purdy Lights!

tret

Ruined
08-12-04, 06:05 PM
Real question is why isn't auto fan speed control enabled in the reference Nvidia drivers?

Golden Sample
08-12-04, 06:05 PM
Hm...it already had my 3D at 100%. Might be from the overclock [425/1100].

Hi, no no!

It goes to 60% /100% when you install it, and open it by default!

Mine for example was perhaps @ 50-60% (XFX bios) cause there was no change in fan speed during gaming. Now it spins up in 3D to 100% and slowas down to 60% in 2D! Never did that before (only with stupid Gainward bios revisions!)

Sven

walkndude
08-12-04, 06:07 PM
works on my bfg 6800 gt as well... seems you can adjust to whatever clock speeds as far as memory and core go as there is no "test" as with riva-tuner or coolbits enabled cp... just set the dial and the clocks are forced.

Golden Sample
08-12-04, 06:07 PM
Bummer, I have the special "Warmer" Cooler design lol

tret

Hm...what are your temps? I really didn`t want to make you "look bad"! But i read it somewhere?! Perhaps it was just some gibberish from some nerd!?

Is it silent and cool?

LOL, TRET! Your sys looks COOL! ...a little like a disco, but really cool! :)
sven

tret
08-12-04, 06:09 PM
temps aren't too bad, i was just messin around. I get around 55-60 Idle and 80-84 Max under Load.

EDIT: I just wanted the opportunity to post those pics of my Gainward with red LED's and the Thermaltake Silent Tower all Copper Beast with the two 80mm blue LED Fans. That's all......

tret

Golden Sample
08-12-04, 06:11 PM
temps aren't too bad, i was just messin around. I get around 55-60 Idle and 80-84 Max under Load.

tret

Well, thats allmost the same like mine: 55-57 Idle, and 80-82 maxed!

So it`s cool for both of us i think!

Sven

LOL...."Disco-Tret"!...heheheh :nanahump: :nanahump: :nanahump:

tret
08-12-04, 06:12 PM
haha right on, temps aren't bad at all, I have my BFG6800GT in my other system volt modded +.1v and i needed a vantec fan card blowing on it at high speed to keep similar temps to my gainward card. damn vantec fan card in combo with the bfg ref cooler sounds like a damn train whistle.

tret

sabrewulf165
08-12-04, 06:21 PM
Two questions... one is rhetorical... why DON'T the nvidia reference drivers support fan speed adjustment? I mean... c'mon!

Secondly, and more serious... I couldn't even get ExperTool to work on my GAINWARD card unless I used the Gainward-supplied drivers, how are you guys getting them to work on non-gainward cards???

PS - I have the red PCB / red cooler as well, it's so fricking loud, some fan controlling would be great! As far as I can tell it's running at 100% all the time :(

Golden Sample
08-12-04, 06:22 PM
haha right on, temps aren't bad at all, I have my BFG6800GT in my other system volt modded +.1v and i needed a vantec fan card blowing on it at high speed to keep similar temps to my gainward card. damn vantec fan card in combo with the bfg ref cooler sounds like a damn train whistle.

tret

Oh, good to know! I almost ordered a Vantec Fan Card yesterday! Is it worth the money? (I guess not, if it`s too loud!?)

Sven

LOL...i really can hear "Nightfever, nightfever...." when i see your sys! VERY COOL! :)

Golden Sample
08-12-04, 06:23 PM
Two questions... one is rhetorical... why DON'T the nvidia reference drivers support fan speed adjustment? I mean... c'mon!

Secondly, and more serious... I couldn't even get ExperTool to work on my GAINWARD card unless I used the Gainward-supplied drivers, how are you guys getting them to work on non-gainward cards???

PS - I have the red PCB / red cooler as well, it's so fricking loud, some fan controlling would be great! As far as I can tell it's running at 100% all the time :(

Yeah, NVIDIA should implement that feature for sure!

And i really don`t know why ET isn`t working for ya? Try the new 3.18 version! Perhaps it works!

Sven

BTW: I`m off sleeping guys! It`s 00:30 here in Germany, and i`m totally exhausted from swimming today. My little nephew really knows how to make a grown up man tired ;)

Cya Guys

walkndude
08-12-04, 06:23 PM
So far setting the fan speed control to dynamic acts wonky in 3d apps... revs up, slows down, revs up slows down, etc...

setting it to fixed the fan spins up to full speed, same as at boot up -way too loud to care about checking temps. Being able to force clocks is rather nice though and works after testing in doom3 at 1250 mem speed -ooh look at the pretty white dots, heh.

tret
08-12-04, 06:24 PM
I would say definately do not get the vantec fan card, however it comes with a little slide control on the PCI slot cover that you can access at the back of the PC. It can be turned down if it is too loud, when i turn it down to half speed i can no longer hear it over the rest of my system.

tret