PDA

View Full Version : 6800 Ultra + Dell 2001FP, Possible problem

Pages : [1] 2

Ice Nine
08-12-04, 09:35 PM
Ok, got the PNY 6800GT. No problems with that card whatsoever.

Recently received the PNY 6800 Ultra. Running totally stock on everything. With this card and my Dell 2001fp flatpanel, every so often (maybe two times per hour or so), my screen will go blank and reappear again. Nothing stops running or anything, screen just goes blank and reappears.

Anyone ever see this before on their setups or anything?

Riptide
08-12-04, 10:04 PM
Wow, strangely enough that sounds like a flat panel issue that's come up with ATI cards. Wierd..

Ice Nine
08-12-04, 10:05 PM
Wow, strangely enough that sounds like a flat panel issue that's come up with ATI cards. Wierd..

Well, for what it's worth, switching the DVI output fixed it.

Ran into a guy with a similar problem here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=42&threadid=1360953&enterthread=y

|JuiceZ|
08-12-04, 10:09 PM
Good deal, was just about to ask if you were using vga or dvi. Glad it working now :thumbsup:

Cr@zy Chuckster
08-13-04, 07:28 PM
Well, for what it's worth, switching the DVI output fixed it.

Ran into a guy with a similar problem here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=42&threadid=1360953&enterthread=y

Glad I could be of service ;)

Ice Nine
08-13-04, 08:24 PM
Glad I could be of service ;)

Thank you kindly, sir! :)

ONe thing I wonder about tho... would having a 2nd 2001FP cause any artefacts? :) I wonder if you'd see that blanking problem if you added a 2nd 2001FP to the Ultra.

Riptide
08-13-04, 09:35 PM
Ice9, your experience and others (most w/ATI cards) makes me think the 2001FP might be the source of the problem since you have an NVDA card... I haven't had it happen in a long time, but I've seen my XT and old 9700 do some strange things w/this panel.

vläd
08-13-04, 11:37 PM
I ran into some nasty issues with the 2001FP, finally convinced Dell to switch it for a NEC LCD2080UX+.

scaryogre
08-14-04, 12:18 AM
Vlad,

What kind of "nasty issues" did you have with your 2001FP? Very curious since it's the same monitor I have.

Thanks,

scaryogre

Carbon Unit
08-14-04, 02:15 AM
I believe that Dell panel had some kind of problem with sleep mode? Dell knows of this problem, I would check with them or try the latest drivers for that Panel

rwong
03-02-05, 08:03 PM
I don't mean to kick a slightly dead horse, but I'm having this problem with my recently rebuilt machine. It blanks out as if it were being reconfigured via the control panel.

I'm fortunate enough to have 2 2001FPs on my machine for testing:

A64 3500+ Winchester
Asus A8N-SLI (not deluxe)
1GB DDR400 Corsair TwinX - Matched
Stock Gigabyte 6800U PCI Express (I don't know anything about bios revision or whatever, can I find this out with RivaTuner?)
Antec True550 PSU

This problem only happens on one of the 2 DVI outs, the one nearest to the slot. I've switched them around, juggled cables, everything.

Also noticable on this buggy output is a "ghosting" artifact behavior that happens when there are horizontal lines displayed on the screen. To the right of the actual lines appears greenish colorful artifacts on the same pixel line. What's even more bizarre is that these appear only on the parts of the desktop which show a bit of grey contrasting to other colors.

This only happens on 1600x1200, at 32 bit mode. 16 bit is a slight solution, but I'd like to have the optimal color depth, ya know? :)

I dunno, could this be power? I guess I'll try juggling my connectors but I figure I'd have ample power to handle this system with the Antec. Any further help, including links to other posts, are greatly appreciated; I don't frequent many hardware forums so I'm a little lost trying to start. Regards,

-Matt

LordZ
03-03-05, 09:46 AM
I actually have a different problem.

Hardware, brand new alienware auroa-7500.

Asus a8N-SLI deluxe board
Athlon64 3000+
OEM Nvidia 6800GT PCIx (only one, planning on picking another one up later)
(also tried a BFG 6800GT PCIx)
1004 bios on mainboard
Dell 2001FP new, 3 weeks old. worked flawlessly over DVI on my 1903FP before.

Out of box, no video, no post, no boot. System hangs. Was quite pissed considering how much I spent on this machine and the 2 month wait it took to get it... Being a tech junkie for the past 10 years I did the only thing I could think of. :) Started tearing down my brand new machine.

Test 1
Use the VGA adapter from output1 to DVI cable to DVI input on 2001. --Success

Test 2
Use the DVI cable without adapter from output1 to my 1903 DVI input. -- Success

Test 3
Use the DVI cable with adapter from output1 to my 1903 DVI input and use another DVI cable without adapter to my 2001 DVI input mirroring the monitors. -- Success

Test 4
Use the DVI cable without adapter on output1 to my 1903 DVI input and use another DVI cable without adapter on output2 to my 2001 DVI input mirroring the monitors. -- Success

Test 5
Use the DVI cable without adapter on output2 to 2001 DVI input without anything connected to output1 on the 6800. -- Failure.

-- Conclusion was the 6800 could not power the 2001 and it was a faulty card.

Had Alienware send me a new card 2day air. This time not the same card, was a 6800GT OC from BFG. Woohoo, a named brand card i could get support on and updates. Unfortunatly it has the same results. Now with some further testing and wild hairs that i've tried I can get it to work. 25% of the time it works as it is supposed to. DVI to DVI no adapter boot up and it will show post. I can get it to work 75% of the time if i leave the monitor off and power up the machine first then turn on while still doing the POST. 99% of the time it will work if i leave the 2001 off and only power it up after windows login has come on.

I'm leaning more towards the monitor at this point. But my neighbor has a 2001FP with a 6800 GT Ultra PCIx on DVI with 0 issues. Going to try and borrow his 2001FP and 6800 for testing. But asking to borrow close to 1k in hardware is never a fun thing....

Will post more if i find solution. It's either the monitor or possibly the firmware on the 6800GT series. Eventually i'll get to the bottom of this...

ViN86
03-03-05, 12:31 PM
i was having problems with my DVI at first. however, further inspection led to me to find that i was an idiot and i didnt secure the DVI connection properly on the monitor.

just thought id throw this is because the issues i had (screen blacking out, sudden loss of picture, etc) was due to improper connections. maybe its a faulty DVI cable? or connection on the card/flat panel?

LordZ
03-03-05, 01:06 PM
hehe nope that wasn't it.

After further reading on Dell's boards I think it is a problem with the geforce chipset being a little too forgiving when reading the res/refresh from the monitor. It could probably be fixed from a firmware standpoint on the card, but the real problem is Dell putting out a poor solution for a monitor.

From the posts I read you have about a 50/50 chance getting a 2001FP to work on a 20" or larger LCD. One guy even went through 15 rma's trying to get it to work. Finally Dell gave in and let him pay the extra to get a NEC 20". I hope it doesn't come to that though.

rwong
03-03-05, 01:06 PM
I've tried cable swapping and display swapping on both panels; it doesn't seem to be involved with the connections at all.

This almost appears to me like it MIGHT be a power problem but not one that could be solved with more power to the card; defective workmanship, perhaps?

I don't get any problems with games, just 2D mode with the blank-then-come-back on one display, and the persistent ghosting artifacts. I'll post a picture of the problem as soon as the girl gets back with her camera.

I found out that a buddy of mine is having the SAME EXACT PROBLEM with multiple copies of his video card and panel, he's RMA'd them BOTH. He's got 2001FP and a BFG 6800U OC.

Unfortunately, I don't have another 1600x1200 capable display that I can test this out with; I'd like to keep testing it.

Regardless, this is really lame. When you're buying into the higher end video card market, and I'm assuming now that the problem is with the card, you need to MAKE SURE YOUR STUFF WORKS WITH EVERYTHING, ON EVERY POSSIBLE CONFIGURATION. I spent $500US, more than any other single component in my rig, on this monster. Shame on Nvidia if this is something that can't actually be rectified.

haproot
03-03-05, 01:27 PM
I have had this problem with a 2001fp and a 6800 GT OC from BFG. The one where it will blank out then come back. I was running Suse 9.2. I found that my refresh rates were off in the Sax configurator. In Windows, make sure you have the Dell 2001fp digital driver installed(for DVI) You can go to dells website, support, then search for 2001fp. Its one driver that works for both DVI and VGA(digital and analog). Don't know if this will be a concrete solution but it worked for me and might be worth looking into. Good luck. ;)

rwong
03-03-05, 01:31 PM
You know, I haven't encountered the blanking out problem since I installed the right INF for the display..

Well, let's hope that's one down, one left! The 2d artifacts I admit I could probably grudgingly live with. I'll mess around with power and try a different card. I'll be buying another 6800U whenever they come to ~300 in price, will have another set of outs to try at that time then too :) Thanks for clearing that up!

I have had this problem with a 2001fp and a 6800 GT OC from BFG. The one where it will blank out then come back. I was running Suse 9.2. I found that my refresh rates were off in the Sax configurator. In Windows, make sure you have the Dell 2001fp digital driver installed(for DVI) You can go to dells website, support, then search for 2001fp. Its one driver that works for both DVI and VGA(digital and analog). Don't know if this will be a concrete solution but it worked for me and might be worth looking into. Good luck. ;)

rwong
03-03-05, 04:06 PM
Ahh, no good! I can get the blank problem to happen at will now. If I quickly drag a window from the second display onto the first, it usually happens. And sometimes when the picture returns, it's fuzzy, like the convergence is off (on an LCD?!?! heh)

So, problem not fixed. This sure sounds like a video card problem to me. I'd like to figure out if this happens on other 1600x1200 displays for sure. Anyone live near Mpls? :)

vld
03-03-05, 06:27 PM
Vlad,

What kind of "nasty issues" did you have with your 2001FP? Very curious since it's the same monitor I have.

Thanks,

scaryogre

Sorry, I lost track of this thread.

The main issues I ran into were no display during post, which made it impossible to edit the BIOS. This was only when connected to the DVI port of the monitor. There's quite a number of folks (http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=29145) that had this issue, (hopefully the link will work if not search Dell forums for 2001FP Problem). The only way to get into the BIOS was to connevt the analog adapter to my 6800 Ultra and then use the SVGA analog connection to the monitor.

This happened with a Gainward 5200, a Gainward 5900 GS, a BFG 6800 Ultra and a Gainward 6800 Ultra GS. Dell tried to tell me that it was only nVidia cards that were affected and a video card BIOS issue, but there were folks with ATI cards that had the same issue. Of the three replacement monitors that Dell shipped me, two had the same problem and one just plain did not work no matter what.

Riptide
03-03-05, 06:43 PM
This problem disappeared for me when I had my 2001FP once I moved over to the X800. The 9700Pro - it did it intermittently, though for some reason never did it with my old 2000FP.

imemine
03-04-05, 11:58 AM
ive had dual 2001fp lcds since september. had the same blanking problem. dell must know because in their forums they recognized it and offered people to download and run their bootable cd to reset EDID config.
it happens when running fullscreen video, or when theres webpages with flash ads, or just regular photoshop "green sparklies" in flat areas of color.
it happened with my gainward dualdvi 4600 card, my gainward dualdvi 5600 card, and now my bfg 6800u.
the only thing that solves a little bit was drivers in the 7x.xx range. but it still has one monitor go blank for minutes at a time.

i have on order two of their new 2405fpw 24" lcds, with 1920x1200. i cant wait to see if its going to resolve or make the problem even worse.

RyanVM
03-08-05, 12:53 AM
BFG 6800U OC & 2001FP (DVI-1)
I've noticed in VirtualPC that for some reason when I have a web browser open, the entire screen will flicker on and off repeatedly until I close the browser window (within VirtualPC).

And I also see the horizontal lines greenish lines on occasion. They remind me of what I saw on my 9700Pro previously before I told it to run with the alternate DVI frequency.

*sigh*, I've had more issues with my 6800U in the last month than I had with my 9700Pro in two years :(. Don't even get me started on the C&C Generals: Zero Hour green snow issue.

Dr.Nick
03-08-05, 01:07 AM
This happens to me if I use the port closest to the agp side(inner) and I also get artifacts around windows and wavy lines. Currently using the outer port and all is well. Definitely weird tho, seems they went with cheap-ass parts for the second dvi

LordZ
03-08-05, 12:54 PM
let us know how those new lcd's work out imemine.

After getting a knowledgeable tech in india to listen to me Dell is sending me a replacement. He didn't even try to fix it with the disc image (which i already tried). Just sending me a new one and said they will test it before sending it. We'll see about that...

Pliskin
03-11-05, 04:58 PM
I've had this problem since I got my 6800 Ultra. I've gotten 3 monitors from Dell for a different problem (dead pixels on arrival). I've contacted Soyo (my mobo manufacturer for a possible beta BIOS), I've contacted eVGA, nVidia, and Dell. Everyone responded except Dell. The two support representatives in India hung up on me or told me it was a driver problem.

Funny I've been working in IT for 15 years and I can usually distinguish a driver problem from a lousy piece of hardware. Their monitor blows. Apple only uses the 6800 line to power their 30 inch monitor and Apple has made a name for themselves on quality. Not only has Dell managed to provide shoddy and rude support, but their quality is also sliding. I hope those multiple mansions and cars help Mike Dell sleep at night.