PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Generic ram(Micron ram) with Brand name Ram(Kingston Hyper X)Good or Bad Idea?

ReDxKiNG
08-12-04, 09:53 PM
I have a question. I currently have 512MB DDR 333(PC2700) ram,and Im heading to get a gig so I want to get another 512Mb DDR 333(PC2700) stick,but the only problem is that the ram that I currently have on my system is a "generic" 512 mb stick that came with my system(Its Micron Technology ram). So my question is do you guys recommend getting a high quality name brand stick such as a kingston (512MB HyperX DDR 333MHz DIMM 2-2-2-5 stick) OR should I just get another Generic 512mb stick?? The reason I ask is because im not sure if that would create a bottleneck for my memory(having high quality ram and low quality generic ram at the same time to form 1 gig) what do you guys think???

DaveW
08-12-04, 10:03 PM
I've always felt that quantity of ram was more important that its speed. Even the slowest ram is faster than your harddrive, which is what will be used if you don't have enough.

If you are going to mix brands, you can kiss any changes of dual channel goodbye, even if that are the same size and speeds.

ynnek
08-12-04, 10:06 PM
no point.

ReDxKiNG
08-12-04, 10:08 PM
I've always felt that quantity of ram was more important that its speed. Even the slowest ram is faster than your harddrive, which is what will be used if you don't have enough.

If you are going to mix brands, you can kiss any changes of dual channel goodbye, even if that are the same size and speeds.

My system doesnt support Dual Channel anyway (po)

Rytr
08-12-04, 10:09 PM
Unless you are planning on getting another stick of HperX in the future I would not spend the extra $. Once installed your ram will run at the speed of the slowest stick. I would opt for a name brand value ram such as what Kingston, Mushkin, or Corsair offers. Get the best value (lowest price of any of these). Also, Crucial PC2700 would be a good bet to work well with your ram.

jAkUp
08-12-04, 10:10 PM
its a waste of money.. no point. your memory speed is only gonna be as fast as the slowest memory you have in there. Your low quality memory will not be able to run the lower timings the hyperx allows.

ReDxKiNG
08-12-04, 10:14 PM
Unless you are planning on getting another stick of HperX in the future I would not spend the extra $. Once installed your ram will run at the speed of the slowest stick. I would opt for a name brand value ram such as what Kingston, Mushkin, or Corsair offers. Get the best value (lowest price of any of these). Also, Crucial PC2700 would be a good bet to work well with your ram.

I ony have 2 DIMMs on my motherboard so i doubt I will be planning to buy another Hyper X stick ,so basically you would recommend that I get some Value ram instead..hmm well my last question is,does it matter which ram is placed in the first dimm??,like if i were to get the hyper x ram and place it on the first dimm and then place the generic ram on the second dimm would my system run more in favor of the hyper x ram or does it really not matter which ram is in which dimm(Note: I DONT have dual channel).Also do TIMINGS really make that big of a difference when comparing a generic stick vs a hyper x one?

ReDxKiNG
08-12-04, 10:15 PM
its a waste of money.. no point. your memory speed is only gonna be as fast as the slowest memory you have in there. Your low quality memory will not be able to run the lower timings the hyperx allows.

ok you answered my second question thanks,All i need is the answer to my first question(about the higher quality ram being placed on the first DIMM ) and I will head out for some Value Ram(kingston value ram that is)..My motherboards memory values are as follows:

2.5 V (only) 184-pin DDR SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
Unbuffered, unregistered single-sided or double-sided DIMMs
Maximum total system memory: 2 GB; minimum total system memory: 64 MB
DDR333/266 MHz SDRAM DIMMs only
Serial Presence Detect (SPD)
Suspend to RAM