PDA

View Full Version : On a 6800Ultra Do I Need Fast Writes Enable

john19055
08-12-04, 10:33 PM
I been away from nvidia for a while and was wanting to know do I need to enable Fast writes or disable it in the Bios.

saturnotaku
08-12-04, 10:34 PM
Some people are reporting stability problems with it enabled. If you have the option in your BIOS to disable it, go for it.

Pandora's Box
08-12-04, 10:40 PM
hasnt that been the general rule of thumb for ages? disable the damn thing no matter what card you have since it doesnt do anything good for performance or stability.

Raptorman
08-12-04, 10:46 PM
Disable it.

SpiderWoW
08-13-04, 03:10 PM
i disabled it because it was read so often here. what exactly was to read that fastwrites have to be disabled and 2d and 3d coreclocks have to be set to the same (when expiriencing problems). yesterday i was getting doom3 and it crashed whenever i was using a resolution higher than 800x600 so i disabled fastwrites and equaled the clocks -> it really worked. later on i recognized that there is sometimes some stutter (like loading shortly [1 sec]) - especially it was always the same reproducable when starting a new game (some spots in the ingame film sequence). i enabled fast writes again and it was gone - smooth like silk. so what i conclude from that is that on instabilities the clocks only have to equaled, at least for me. but a pc has so many components and the bios so many settings (like pci delay transaction, agp aperture size, caching UC or USWC ...) which are also related to the bandwith and datatransfer timings to the agp card - who really knows ?

Bottle
08-13-04, 04:28 PM
I have the 61.77 drivers for a BFG 6800GT card. I'm enabling extra features using nVHardpage 2.0. However, when I turn fast writes off and click "apply", it turns it back on again. i.e., I can't turn it off in the driver panel.

Looking at my BIOS (Gigabyte 8INXP, F5 BIOS with advanced AGP settings activated by Ctrl+F1) I can't see an entry for fast writes. Is there anything else it could be called? For instance, next to the AGP apeture there is an entry for "delayed transactions". Is this it?

Thanks in advance.

SpiderWoW
08-14-04, 03:26 AM
had the same problem
downloaded rivatuner und switched it off the first time using this program
since then it was also working in the Nvidia Driver Properties (enabled coolbits2 registry keys).

DRen72
08-17-04, 10:41 AM
I tried disabling fast writes but gameplay was actually smoother with it on. With it off, I could not overclock any higher, so I leave mine on now.

ssj4goku887
08-17-04, 10:44 AM
i never have had any stability issues at all with any of my cards with fastwrites enabled

rewt
08-17-04, 10:49 AM
me either

ynnek
08-17-04, 10:59 AM
never had any problems either... Just curious, the ones with no problems with fast writes enabled.. are you also running mobo's with Intel Chipsets too? I'm using an older 875P chipset mobo..

rewt
08-17-04, 11:07 AM
I've always used VIA chipsets. And I have built many PCs with VIA chipsets, none of which had any issue with fastwrites (using nVidia or ATI cards). Although never built one with a 6800U, so seems like its just a 6800 BIOS/driver issue.

ssj4goku887
08-17-04, 11:41 AM
i have an a64 3200+ with the via k8t800 chipset

Diamond_G
08-17-04, 04:22 PM
I've read that nforce boards don't like fastwrites enabled... I noticed that timbury and nalu stuttered with fw on, but was smooth with it off....