PDA

View Full Version : Tips for hitting 200FSB on XP 2500+?

BrianG
08-13-04, 10:08 AM
Running an A7N8X Deluxe with the latest BIOS. I have 2.5T DDR3200. The CPU has a TT SilentBoost copper HSF strapped on board with AS5.

I seem to be stable up to around 190MHZ. What voltages are you guys running on the DDR and the CPU? What is the load temperature of your XP 2500 at 3200 while using the Sisoft burn-in wizard, currently 48-50C on mine at 1.7V. More voltage cool with air cooling OK? I tried dropping the multiplier but it appears the CPU is locked, even though the L1 doesn't appear to be cut.

The processor is an 8/3/04 packaged retail and the production code starts with a K, though most up to now are A. Stange, eh?

I haven't tried any hardcore OC'ing in a while (since my Duron days), so any hints would be welcome.

saturnotaku
08-13-04, 10:24 AM
To get 200 on my old 2500+ Barton (unlocked) I had to up the voltage to 1.75. My temps were fairly decent in spite of that - about 46 idle and 55 load with air cooling.

Nutty
08-13-04, 10:33 AM
FSB wasn't the problem with me, it was raising the core speed with multipliers. My barton 2500 ran at stock speed at 200fsb straight off, but I had to raise the core a bit to get it stable at higher speeds. I also turned off the cpu interface thingy in the bios too.

BrianG
08-13-04, 11:44 AM
FSB wasn't the problem with me, it was raising the core speed with multipliers. My barton 2500 ran at stock speed at 200fsb straight off, but I had to raise the core a bit to get it stable at higher speeds. I also turned off the cpu interface thingy in the bios too.

CPU interface thingy? You mean the CPU optimal/aggressive setting? I'll try it out, I think I have it on aggressive...

BrianG
08-13-04, 11:44 AM
To get 200 on my old 2500+ Barton (unlocked) I had to up the voltage to 1.75. My temps were fairly decent in spite of that - about 46 idle and 55 load with air cooling.
Wasn't sure if I wanted to go much higher than 1.7, but I'll give it a run. It seems to be burning in well.

superklye
08-14-04, 12:16 AM
how reliable is the SiS Sandra burn-in wizard?

mczern
08-14-04, 04:09 AM
Might try some modding with your case like putting a duct from your CPU directly to a vent or fan pulling air outside of your case then putting the intake near the coolest spot in your room. Other than upping the voltage which around your temp could probably make your OC alot less stable theres not much else you can do really. I was able to hit 190 on my 2100+ with pc3200 and water cooling with minimal increase to ram or vcore voltage. I seemed to have hit a wall around that point, raising voltage on the ram and the vcore didn't do anything but cause more problems than solved and same with messing around with ram latency.

BrianG
08-14-04, 07:44 AM
The power supply intake fan is RIGHT above the CPu and I have a side fan for the graphics card, though the card is down a slot in the case allowing considerable spill over to the CPU HSF. For the minimal amount of fans I have, I think I am getting solid airflow.

After lettign the CPU settle in at 183FSB, I am gonna try to go higher with bigger voltage. In the old days, my Celery 2 566 took a day or two to get happy at 866. That CPU was a freaking overclocker's bargain dream.

AshG
08-15-04, 12:17 AM
Hey man. I know I'm jumping in late on this one, but I might be able to help.

Quick question - which revision of the board are you using?

The best success I've had getting my old A7N8X-DLX to work well has been with Demonulous's UberBIOS revisions. Even though I was using a 1.04 revision board, 200MHz FSB was not a problem. The latest BIOS he has on his site (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michael.mcclay/) is the 1007. If you're not using a Sempron and don't care about the nForce Util, then the 1007 is still viable. The Uber BIOSes tweak some things and unlock a bevy of new options.

Ok, back on topic... I'm not familiar with the K stepping 2500+, so I can't tell you its tendencies. It should still hit 200MHz FSB easy. I recommend cranking up the core voltage to 1.725 to start. Your airflow sounds good, and you know how to configure a system, so I'll skip the pedantics.

Leave CPC (Command per Clock) on for now, leave APIC on, and disable anything you're not using. Then, just try jumping directly to 200. I had trouble hitting 183 on my ASUS rig, but 200 was a piece of cake. I'm not sure why...

Hope that helps. If not, I'll have to tap into my well of knowledge and see what I can figure out.

superklye
08-15-04, 12:20 AM
how reliable is the SiS Sandra burn-in wizard?

*ahem*

AshG
08-15-04, 12:29 AM
*ahem*

Ok; since you insist, I take no responsibility for the OT...

[Off Topic]
There are programs I like much better than the SANDRA Burn-in Wizard. Prime95 is good for testing computational stability (i.e. CPU and memory overclocks). 3DMark puts general stress on components, especially the video card.

My favorite stability tester is Passmark's Burn-In Test. It gives you the ability to change the amount of stress for each major component group of your system. The shareware/demo version allows you to run the testing for 15 minutes maximum, registration unlocks higher times. It is well worth it, IMHO.
[/Off Topic Mode]

superklye
08-15-04, 11:41 AM
Ok; since you insist, I take no responsibility for the OT...

[Off Topic]
There are programs I like much better than the SANDRA Burn-in Wizard. Prime95 is good for testing computational stability (i.e. CPU and memory overclocks). 3DMark puts general stress on components, especially the video card.

My favorite stability tester is Passmark's Burn-In Test. It gives you the ability to change the amount of stress for each major component group of your system. The shareware/demo version allows you to run the testing for 15 minutes maximum, registration unlocks higher times. It is well worth it, IMHO.
[/Off Topic Mode]

Okay, thanks. :) And I don't really think it was OT, I mean, the original post talked about it. It's not like this is a thread about Stephen King's Dark Tower series and I asked that question out of the blue...I think it'll be okay. :)

Kamel
08-15-04, 12:09 PM
i've got the same combo, but am selling it... it works great at 200mhz, i can hit it even without changing my voltage on this proc.

to ensure 100% stability (passing all torture tests including much hours of prime95), i did indeed raise the voltage to 1.75 on the cpu.

if your ram is rated at pc2700, it's probably your ram holding you back. if you've got pc3200 ram though, you should not need to modify your vdimm at all.

Woodelf
08-15-04, 01:57 PM
I managed 200FSB with a volt mod to the chipset. Added extra chipset cooling too.
But I have the early 1.03 revision. :)

It went somthing like this (been along time).
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9237

AgentHeX_0007
08-16-04, 12:32 PM
rig in sig, bios v1011

For me extra voltage on my ram made my 2500 o/c stable. When o/cing the FSB the ram's SPD would lower the latency, the ram did not seem to like this and made the system unstable. I then set "user defined" in the bios mem settings and changed the voltage of the ram to 2.8 and set the latency manually to aviod the SPD changeing it thus keeping the ram's lower latency. The system is now perfectly stable at this o/c and max cpu temp is roughly 55.c

I'm not sure if it will o/c more because i have not tried as i'm happy with these results.

(P.S. cpu code AXDA2500KV4D AQYHA0414UPEW)