PDA

View Full Version : eVGA 6800 Ultra FAN GRINDING

seanmcgpa
08-13-04, 11:31 AM
Brand new eVGA 6800 Ultra from NewEgg and I find the fan on the unit is making a mechanical "grinding" noise. It's not a normal "dustbuster" noise ... it sounds like the fan is slightly off center or is missing a ball bearing or needs lubrication or SOMETHING.

If I place my finger gently on the center of the fan and press (gently!) the noise disappears. As soon as I let go it's back.

In 3D games as the fan revs up it gets even louder and more annoying.

Any suggestions other than return for RMA?

How very frustrating - I finally get a 6800 Ultra and now the fan isn't working right. ARGH!

Riptide
08-13-04, 11:42 AM
You might give it a few days to break in and see if that makes any difference. Otherwise I would RMA for sure...

Arioch
08-13-04, 11:57 AM
Brand new eVGA 6800 Ultra from NewEgg and I find the fan on the unit is making a mechanical "grinding" noise. It's not a normal "dustbuster" noise ... it sounds like the fan is slightly off center or is missing a ball bearing or needs lubrication or SOMETHING.

If I place my finger gently on the center of the fan and press (gently!) the noise disappears. As soon as I let go it's back.

In 3D games as the fan revs up it gets even louder and more annoying.

Any suggestions other than return for RMA?

How very frustrating - I finally get a 6800 Ultra and now the fan isn't working right. ARGH!

I had this problem for a short time on my Prolink 6800 Ultra and it eventually went away after a day or so. My fan did this off and on though and was not a constant issue so I am not sure how bad your problem is compared to mine. Hopefully it all works out for you.

Cr@zy Chuckster
08-13-04, 12:33 PM
What is happening is the metal shroud on top is slightly bent down and when the card is inserted (upside down) the fan spins up and comes in contact with the shroud.

You can either let the fan wear itself away by rubbing on the metal shroud or gently pry up un the shroud with something soft like a popsicle stick or something similar. It only needs a hairs worth of clearance.

Trust me my bfg did it and that is what there tech support told me to do other than RMA'ing the card.

Fatman
08-13-04, 01:15 PM
DONT RMA THE CARD. I'll post a link a bit later to show u how to fix it.

seanmcgpa
08-14-04, 11:03 AM
DONT RMA THE CARD. I'll post a link a bit later to show u how to fix it.

Please let me know how you'd fix it. It's driving me crazy!

Thanks!

SpiderWoW
08-14-04, 02:33 PM
i would also be interessted in the link ...

i have the same problem from time to time, but after 2-3 kicks to the case its getting silent again ;-)

kahloq
08-14-04, 05:10 PM
My BFG Ultra OC did the same thing when I first got it....not constant, but it happened from time to time, especially if the desk got bumped a little. However, after a few days..it started going away and now I never hear that grind anymore. Give it a week or so....maybe ev en run the card all night while you asleep to aid in its "break in" time. Yeah, its probably a fan blade misalligned or contacting a shroud, but it will wear down a little and then you be OK.

Killall
08-16-04, 07:24 AM
(bump)

I also have this irritation grinding noise, a few kicks at my pc fixed it for a while but i dont really feel good about kicking my 1337 pc :) So plz post that link....

Cr@zy Chuckster
08-16-04, 10:34 AM
What is happening is the metal shroud on top is slightly bent down and when the card is inserted (upside down) the fan spins up and comes in contact with the shroud.

You can either let the fan wear itself away by rubbing on the metal shroud or gently pry up un the shroud with something soft like a popsicle stick or something similar. It only needs a hairs worth of clearance.

Trust me my bfg did it and that is what there tech support told me to do other than RMA'ing the card.

Guess nobody paid any attention to that solution :confused:

Stevandy
08-16-04, 02:28 PM
I had this problem twice on my 6800 Ultra, caused by accidentally kicking my case.

Turning the power on/off fixed it both times.

Eltigre88
08-23-04, 03:24 PM
I had the same issue but not constant. I just losened the screws to the shroud around the fan and it does not do it any more. To heck with RMA took too long to get this baby!

Blacklash
08-23-04, 05:20 PM
I took the metal cover off, checked the fan, realigned the cover to the fan a hair, then screwed it back on,> problem solved. As others have said it's the fan rubbing the metal plate/cover. I would not RMA either. You can fix it easily or as others said it may 'break itself in'.

On a side note I hate the bastage that decided to use those exceptionally small screws.

DarkOneX
08-23-04, 08:02 PM
Wierd, I've had my eVGA 6800 GT for maybe a month now and I just started hearing this grinding noise off and on in my case this past Saturday, it's currently doing it right now. Seems to come and go. I will probably eventually open it up and see wassup or just let it grind itself down or whatever.

Eltigre88
08-25-04, 03:25 PM
Well the fan has a speed contol so maybe it grinds when it slows down. I have since taken my fan out and lightly tapped each fin with my dremel and tightened the cover down and have no problems.

Ruined
08-25-04, 03:29 PM
This remedy seems to be fairly easy and apparently works:

the fan cover is secured by 6 screws. Unscrew all six and remove the cover. Replace 4 out of the 6 with the cover off, leaving only two opposing screw holes empty. Now put the cover on and screw in the remaining two screw holes. The distance gained by the 4 screw heads should make it enough to clear the fan, and the 2 screws will be enough to keep the cover on.

grimreefer
08-25-04, 03:31 PM
Well the fan has a speed contol so maybe it grinds when it slows down. I have since taken my fan out and lightly tapped each fin with my dremel and tightened the cover down and have no problems.
the slow down works by lowering the volts to the fan.
u could get a nv silencer.... if worst comes to worst