PDA

View Full Version : "weird" 6800gt overclocking issues

floppymaster
08-13-04, 01:07 PM
I finally recieved my MSI 6800GT today. Card runs fine at stock, so I immediately started to overclock it. Anyway, I've been away from nvidia for a year or so, so I'm kinda new to all this new stuff.... Have they started using some kinda auto-protection against "too high" overclocks? Cause when I get close to 400MHz core, 3dmark 03 hangs for like 3-5 secs, then carry on again. This happens all the time. There are no artifacts, or any other visual corruption when this happens. If this is some kinda auto-protection, it truly sucks! I want to be able to decide myself how high I want to clock it.
Anyway, if this thing can't reach 400 core, I'll send it back on monday.

Chiggs
08-13-04, 01:23 PM
I have a similar question about overclocking: Why the hell does my card always reset itself back to default frequencies when I restart my computer (and yes the box that says 'Apply these settings at startup' is checked').?

Banko
08-13-04, 01:27 PM
floppymaster, you should always know overclocks aren't guaranteed, but what you can try is mod your bios's card with 1.4v

floppymaster
08-13-04, 01:50 PM
floppymaster, you should always know overclocks aren't guaranteed, but what you can try is mod your bios's card with 1.4v
Yeah, of course I know that, but is it supposed to hang 3dmark like it does? I highly doubt that it is pushed to its max, as there are no artifacts what-so-ever. Is it a auto-limiting overclock thingy? :lame:
I wanna see artifacts *******it! :D

Banko
08-13-04, 02:56 PM
That usually means there is not enough voltage supplied to the card. Before the 1.4v bios mod 3dmark would freeze for 4 seconds when going 417 and above, applied 1.4v and I hit 425.

floppymaster
08-13-04, 03:06 PM
That usually means there is not enough voltage supplied to the card. Before the 1.4v bios mod 3dmark would freeze for 4 seconds when going 417 and above, applied 1.4v and I hit 425.
Ah, okay, thanks. I guess there is no hope for this card then, when it starts doing this already at 390.
I'll send it back on monday.

Banko
08-13-04, 03:18 PM
or it could just be your power supply not supplying enough voltage. This is why Ultra's have 2 molex's I think.

floppymaster
08-13-04, 04:04 PM
Na, it's not that. I have a MIST (CWT) 550W PSU.
Anyway, mayor breaktrought! I disabled fastwrites, and I just ran 3dmark 03 @ 410 core with no pauses! :D Brought me a nice score of 12400. Woho!
It gets awfully hot though, 81c under full load - is that normal? My case has very good cooling, so that shounldn't be a problem.

Barrok
08-13-04, 04:24 PM
Na, it's not that. I have a MIST (CWT) 550W PSU.
Anyway, mayor breaktrought! I disabled fastwrites, and I just ran 3dmark 03 @ 410 core with no pauses! :D Brought me a nice score of 12400. Woho!
It gets awfully hot though, 81c under full load - is that normal? My case has very good cooling, so that shounldn't be a problem.

81c is fine. Get Rivatuner and tell it too force performance on 3d aplications. That should fix the 3second hang if i understand correctly.

Kamel
08-13-04, 04:26 PM
I finally recieved my MSI 6800GT today. Card runs fine at stock, so I immediately started to overclock it. Anyway, I've been away from nvidia for a year or so, so I'm kinda new to all this new stuff.... Have they started using some kinda auto-protection against "too high" overclocks? Cause when I get close to 400MHz core, 3dmark 03 hangs for like 3-5 secs, then carry on again. This happens all the time. There are no artifacts, or any other visual corruption when this happens. If this is some kinda auto-protection, it truly sucks! I want to be able to decide myself how high I want to clock it.
Anyway, if this thing can't reach 400 core, I'll send it back on monday.

this is the core, it's not a protection afaik, but an instability caused by too high of core. the core being too high really can do some strange things, not just artifacting.

mariorulz247
08-13-04, 04:26 PM
Barrok i have riva tuner , where is that option??^^^

Chiggs
08-13-04, 04:31 PM
Okay, guys... now that he's good to go, what about me?

Any overclocking I do with Coolbits is immediately wiped out when I restart the computer - and yes, the box that says "Apply these settings at startup" is checked.

Am I going to have to edit my bios? Should I just flash my eVGA with a BFG bios? Any suggestions?

hoop
08-13-04, 04:45 PM
what does fastwrites do anyways??