PDA

View Full Version : Updated bios..memory running @ 333 instead of 400 now...need help

aAv7
08-13-04, 08:12 PM
I updated my via bios from 1.30 to 1.40 ....before the update My memory which is ddr 400 was running @ that. After the update when the bios is loading when I first turn on the machine, it shows my memory @ 333 mhz. (Latency @ 3..dont know if this changed too) There's an option in bios where I can set my memory to run @ 400...but I just wanted to know if this will screw up my system...since when it's on auto it's running it @ 333....could it just be a bug in the new bios version? Is it even a big deal? Should I leave it? Change it?

yakumo
08-17-04, 06:53 PM
use a tool like http://www.hwinfo.com/ to get exact memory make/model/ specification, and either use that to decide, or post those detaisl here so people can advise you.

Richteralan
08-17-04, 07:48 PM
every new BIOS flash will revert all BIOS settings to default.
You need to set them back manually.

-=DVS=-
08-17-04, 08:12 PM
Not all new biose's are good , in my case motherboard Aopen devs decided to disable option for 400 DDR :lame: for some uknown reason , however older or beta bios gives lotsa settings and better performance so go figure :rolleyes:

*don't fix if it aint broken* :D

Kamel
this is unlikely, but it could have also changed the ratio your ram is running at. for example, your front side bus could be running at 400 while your memory is at 333. if your CPU speed is correct and your memory speed is not, this is likely the case; unless it changed the multiplier of the CPU, but i doubt it would do that without changing the speed of the CPU.

any more info would be helpful, but what i suggest you do is manually set the FSB to 200 (400ddr), then see if everything is in order. if it doesn't like that, believe me, it will definitely let you know (probably will not boot), if that's the case, just set it back and figure out what else it may be.

Sazar
every new BIOS flash will revert all BIOS settings to default.
You need to set them back manually.

:thumbsup:

generally the cmos is cleared when you flash with most of the utils... :)

do what rich says and you should be fine... :cool:

Son Goku
08-17-04, 08:33 PM
Yeah, set it back to default first...

I haven't seen this with an upgraded BIOS, but on my current mobo (using the nForce 1 chipset), back in like version 1.00 and 1.01 (don't remember with 1.02) it had this problem. My fsb was run at 200 MHz DDR, even though the CPU should be run at 266 MHz and I have Corsair XMS 2400 (300 MHz) DDR RAM.

If that doesn't work, and your RAM, CPU, etc is rated for a higher setting, then setting this manually isn't a prob. That's what I did, till I got a BIOS version that fixed that. Just make sure the CPU to DRAM setting, has the right ratio after you set that...