PDA

View Full Version : Just Killed my cpu

CHEVYMAN_02
08-14-04, 08:57 AM
I was playing doom3 and i notice a burning smell and all the sudden my computer cuts off and i thought the game had crashed the whole system but i had notice that the hard drive light was still and i put the power button to see if it would come back on. nothing would happen and i saw the the green light on motherboard was on so i unplugged it and plugged back in and still nothing happened. i figure it is shot to heck.

Viral
08-14-04, 11:25 PM
Interesting. It's funny you should say you were playing Doom3:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33775773

Only thing is his CPU temp is lower than when playing FC, but his GPU temp is much higher. Anyway, what HSF did you have? I'm hoping this doesn't ever happen to any of the 2500+ @ 2.2GHz rigs i've built.. but i used decent cooling.

Kamel
08-14-04, 11:32 PM
no problems with doom3 here... i've got an xp2500 clocked to xp3200 with a thermaltake silent boost, and when playing the game for a long time if i check the temps it's only like 110F which isn't even my full load temp. don't think it's doom3 doing this, that sounds like ironic hardware failure to me. your hsf die maybe?

AshG
08-14-04, 11:42 PM
What are the specs on your PSU? Amps at 3.3V, 5V, and 12V would be much appreciated. How di dyou achieve your clock setting (multiplier x FSB)? Also, what heatsink, fan, and thermal compound were you using?

Son Goku
08-15-04, 01:43 AM
Did you do anything like over-clock, up the voltage on the CPU (and plz don't tell me you juiced the RAM up to 3.3 v or something like that ;) , erm I mean CPU here). There's got to be some reason for the bad oder. A fan die on the hsf, as previously mentioned might also be worth looking at.

CHEVYMAN_02
08-15-04, 06:51 PM
I had a stock HSF. I don't the voltage on the psu.

AshG
08-15-04, 07:08 PM
Check the label on the side of the PSU. Although I now have different thoughts (see below paragraph), I'd still be interested in knowing what you were using.

At this point, since you said you used the stock heatsink, I'm thinking you just overheated the chip into a crispy mass of electronics. With my 2500+ at 2.2GHz (11x200), I have to use an SLK-900A and a SmartFanII to keep things under control. I'm afraid the stock heatsink just couldn't take the heat.

deathnutz
08-28-04, 12:10 AM
DOOM 3 Killed something on my computer. The day I got it.. I cranked up the graphics full blast.. just to get a feel for what it can do. Well, either while the textures were loading, or just after.. DOOM3 just turns off and I get a warning message about not having enough virtual memeroy (my virtual memory is set to 0.. always) I didn't really get a good chance to read the message becasue no sooner then I began to read it.. My computer just shut off. Just POWER OFF! nothing! Gone! just like that. I couldn't turn it back on unless I unplugged my computer and plugged it back in. Then yea! back on! My computer is not dead.. Whew. Well. to make this long story not much longer... Any game I play now.. after about 30sec-3min into the 3D game..my computer shuts off the same way is it did for Doom without the warnings though. My comp isn't state of the art... anymore.. 768 pc2100, AMD XP 2100, GeForceFX5900
Why oh why!

shade_mdk
08-28-04, 12:48 AM
DOOM 3 Killed something on my computer. The day I got it.. I cranked up the graphics full blast.. just to get a feel for what it can do. Well, either while the textures were loading, or just after.. DOOM3 just turns off and I get a warning message about not having enough virtual memeroy (my virtual memory is set to 0.. always) I didn't really get a good chance to read the message becasue no sooner then I began to read it.. My computer just shut off. Just POWER OFF! nothing! Gone! just like that. I couldn't turn it back on unless I unplugged my computer and plugged it back in. Then yea! back on! My computer is not dead.. Whew. Well. to make this long story not much longer... Any game I play now.. after about 30sec-3min into the 3D game..my computer shuts off the same way is it did for Doom without the warnings though. My comp isn't state of the art... anymore.. 768 pc2100, AMD XP 2100, GeForceFX5900
Why oh why!

Try testing the power source -> it seems that you have a consumer there
the video card in full load it takes a lot o wattage from your source..and
from what I've seen on Doom 3 .... (all those minimum requirements :))
And also see your ram ..
you have 2 modules and they might not work together corectly.
remove one of them (the 256) and try playing again. Doom 3 works fine with 512 also.

superklye
08-28-04, 01:18 AM
Are you sure it's your CPU and not your PSU?

DaveW
08-28-04, 08:30 AM
I would think if his CPU overheated his mobo bios would have alarmed and powered off before it got hot enough to cause damage. He may have a short on the motherboard somewhere else.