PDA

View Full Version : Low PCI performance with 98-ME

B.Alinezhad
08-14-04, 11:07 AM
I brought up this topic somewhere previously but no reply was sent yet; You may believe that this is of minor importance, but I am still thirsty to know why it happens.

1- I install a PCI nVIDIA Riva TNT graphic card on a Gigabyte mainboard with VIA KT266A chipset (7VTXE+).

2- I run 3DMark 2000 on this machine, and the OS is Windows XP; the CPU test results are good.

3- I run 3DMark 2000 on this machine, but the OS is Windows ME or 98; the CPU test results are bad (twice slower)!

4- I make a similar test on another MSI mainboard with nFORCE-2 chipset (K7N2-Delta) and this problem still exists.

5- I try several versions of drivers as well as mainbord bioses but all attempts are in vain: When using Windows 98,ME and a PCI graphic card, the efficiency is up to 50% less than real.

Thank you for your notice,

Bahram Alinezhad,
Tehran, Iran.

anzak
08-14-04, 11:12 AM
Simple solution, drop ME and 98 both of which are no long support by M$.

ricercar
08-14-04, 12:57 PM
Windows 95/98/ME simply doesn't perform as well as NT/2003/XP.

ssj4goku887
08-14-04, 06:02 PM
and a tnt sux packed with a pci slot. ACK!

NightFire
08-14-04, 06:06 PM
Yeah, just switch over to XP, it can't match to 98/ME.
Or, something could be wrong with the OS. Possibly a bad install.

So, how's it going in Iran?

B.Alinezhad
08-15-04, 01:28 AM
There are obvious differences with interrupts between 2K/XP and 98/ME: With newer mainboards, you see some interrupt over 15 assigned to some devices in XP, but 98 never shows any interrup beyond 15 in its list with the same hardware configuration; Isn't it the source of performance drop? Isn't there anyone informed about such matters? Or where can I get information about this?
Really, I want to adjust Windows 98 or ME to work like XP, if there isn't an inherent barrier.

Thank you for your notice,

Bahram Alinezhad,
Tehran, Iran.

msxyz
08-15-04, 02:37 AM
Under Win98 you have to enable features like DMA and BUS mastering. This is usually done through the control panel, if the chipset driver, during installation, does not this automatically.

I have a dual boot Win98+98lite and Windows XP. They're almost equal in performance when properly configured (I used to have a Voodoo 2 PCI).

As for the story that Win 98 sucks compared to XP... well 99% of the problems with this tiny OS come from the decision of forcing IExplore 5 with all the rest of the crap.

I've been using 98lite since this little proggy came out and I always had a fast and much more stable OS. So stable that I seldom switch to Win XP except when using some programs that bitch and moan about not running under NT kernel.

With a few tweaks of the .ini Win98 become a very fast and stable platform even with today's configurations and it does not use disk swapping so heavily as Win2k/XP do. (especially with the "conservative mem usage" option set)

Slyder
08-15-04, 05:09 AM

Who the hell told you this... lol

MS plan to continue support for 98 for another 5 years as far as MS updates are concerned, not to sure about ME but I can only assume it has a similar if not same deadline.

B.Alinezhad
08-15-04, 05:35 AM
msxyz (Registered User),
Can you express more please? Are these related to my problem? What is "98lite"? I use 98se, what must I do to resolve this performance drop?
My friend, I am not a native English speaker; I usually don't understand expressions beyond my "Pocket Oxford Dictionary"! Can you please use less slangs? Thanks.

Edge
08-15-04, 07:57 AM

Actually Windows 98 has better performance in games and applications than Windows 2000 does. Back when I had a dual-boot configuration, I would get around 10% higher framerates in Win98 compared to Win2k (tested with 3dmark, MDK, and Lightwave). Not sure about XP though, but I doubt NT has better performance than 2000, either. Now stability on the other hand, that's another matter.

msxyz
08-16-04, 12:14 AM
98lite is just an installation utility that removes many unwanted Windows features like Explorer, Outlook. etc... take a look at www.litepc.com A free version should be downloadable

Edge
08-16-04, 12:52 AM
Explorer is an unwanted windows feature? Uhh, I kinda like having a desktop and task bar, thank you very much :p

saturnotaku
08-16-04, 06:11 AM
Explorer is an unwanted windows feature? Uhh, I kinda like having a desktop and task bar, thank you very much :p

I think he was talking more about IE. 98Lite removes the web integration component (active desktop, et al) from the kernel.

Actually Windows 98 has better performance in games and applications than Windows 2000 does. Back when I had a dual-boot configuration, I would get around 10% higher framerates in Win98 compared to Win2k (tested with 3dmark, MDK, and Lightwave). Not sure about XP though, but I doubt NT has better performance than 2000, either. Now stability on the other hand, that's another matter.

See, this is the exact opposite of what I saw. Games and benchmarks performed at least 10% better under Windows 2000 for me than they did under 98. My OpenGL performance skyrocketed under 2000.

B.Alinezhad
08-17-04, 05:36 AM
With AGP cards, I saw sometimes 98 had better performance than XP, while sometimes the opposite was true; The difference isn't too much there (up to 10%); Please someone examine the issue with a PCI graphic card where I see about 50% performance lack in 98/ME!

Thanks, Bahram.