PDA

View Full Version : It's official. NV40 was designed for Doom3.

acrh2
08-14-04, 01:36 PM
Todd Hollenshead was interviewed at Qcon2004 last night. When asked if id has made D3 for NV40 he stated, and this is a rough quote, "it's really quite the opposite. Nvidia's made 6800 for Doom3".
I'm sure video files are gonna be coming to www.radioitg.com soon.

Pandora's Box
08-14-04, 01:51 PM
so?

msxyz
08-14-04, 02:01 PM
As long as it plays also other games fast and with good quality it's fine with me :)

cho
08-14-04, 02:03 PM
well, now we want to know was the doom3 engine design for most future hot games :)

Sazar
08-14-04, 02:06 PM
does it matter what it was made for if it plays other stuff well :confused:

Knell2
08-14-04, 02:28 PM
Oh yeah. I can't wait to see game titles based on Doom3 engine from other game companies .

EDIT: Halflife1 engine was made from Quake2 engine right?

Omega53
08-14-04, 02:38 PM
AVP 3 :drooling:

ClosetFanBoy
08-14-04, 02:57 PM
i think thats great. considering the titles in dev, and the engine is now open for licensing, then its (6800) definetly a good investment. but even if that's the case, i dont see any owners saying "man my card only runs doom 3 well". from what i've read, 6800 owners are pretty stoked with their all around gaming expeirence. either way, pretty wise investment by nvidia if you ask me. :clap:

Mojoe
08-14-04, 03:09 PM
Dont see the point, dx9 cards are made for dx9 games = HL2. NV40 is made for Ogl = Doom and dx9, so what ?? (mag)

evilchris
08-14-04, 03:28 PM
Oh yeah. I can't wait to see game titles based on Doom3 engine from other game companies .

EDIT: Halflife1 engine was made from Quake2 engine right?

HL1 was a heavily modified Q1 engine

Pandora's Box
08-14-04, 03:30 PM
Dont see the point, dx9 cards are made for dx9 games = HL2. NV40 is made for Ogl = Doom and dx9, so what ?? (mag)

Wrong. This is where 6800 won me over. Brilliant OpenGL performance and DirectX performance is just as good as ati's if not better in certain situations. Situations being SM3.0 enabled games.

Mojoe
08-14-04, 03:34 PM
Wrong. This is where 6800 won me over. Brilliant OpenGL performance and DirectX performance is just as good as ati's if not better in certain situations. Situations being SM3.0 enabled games.

Sorry but i dont agree with you, Nvidias Dx9 performance is wery good this round, but to say it is better is to early...to tell.

NoWayDude
08-14-04, 04:12 PM
Sorry but i dont agree with you, Nvidias Dx9 performance is wery good this round, but to say it is better is to early...to tell.

Put it this way.Nvidia DX9 performance is way better than ATI OpenGL performance.

Bottom line is, you can not go wrong with any of the cards this time around

Mojoe
08-14-04, 04:14 PM
Put it this way.Nvidia DX9 performance is way better than ATI OpenGL performance.

Bottom line is, you can not go wrong with any of the cards this time around

Agreed 100%. :)

wures7
08-14-04, 08:33 PM
If there was WQHL for OGL drivers, ATI would fail miserably.

Kamel
08-14-04, 09:07 PM
that doesn't explain why it runs so smoothly on the 5950u's, yet not so smooth on the 9800 pros

btw, i'm sure someone who has little or no affiliation with nvidia is qualified to say that ;/

Morrow
08-14-04, 09:20 PM
that doesn't explain why it runs so smoothly on the 5950u's, yet not so smooth on the 9800 pros

btw, i'm sure someone who has little or no affiliation with nvidia is qualified to say that ;/

Well in fact it does also explain why the 5950 and even the Ti 4x00 run Doom3 just fine because nvidia optimized their hardware since the last few generations for shadow volumes although ATI only did concentrate on basic hardware accelerated performance and shaders.

Basically it's not true that nvidia did design their hardware for Doom3, they based their last few generations on games which will use shadow volumes extensively because this is the only way how future games will render shadows with the exception of HL2 and FarCry and that's why in the end they designed their latest GPUs for Doom3.

Doom3 is the first major title using a unified lighting and shadowing architecture which can make full use out of nvidia's optimizations but other games based on different engines will follow. It's not like only Doom3 engine based games can take advantage out of these design decisions.

In the future all major games will offer shadow volumes and not shadow maps and so nvidia has a definite winner here because GeForce GPUs can accelerate all those nice shadow and lighting effects much better than current Radeons can.

superklye
08-14-04, 11:04 PM
i think thats great. considering the titles in dev, and the engine is now open for licensing, then its (6800) definetly a good investment. but even if that's the case, i dont see any owners saying "man my card only runs doom 3 well". from what i've read, 6800 owners are pretty stoked with their all around gaming expeirence. either way, pretty wise investment by nvidia if you ask me. :clap:

you're damned right.

Carbon Unit
08-14-04, 11:33 PM
I think thats old news, I have read it was also made for Ureal 3 and STALKER too name a few

Ti22
08-15-04, 01:17 AM
ditto.

Vagrant Zero
08-15-04, 01:21 AM
You know techincally speaking Nvidia is better at DX9 as well. Just look at 'pure speed' benchs...typically the 6800s are kicking booty. It's only when 4xAA 8xAF are turned on that the ATI cards catch up [and sometimes pass the 6800s].

But the thing is that AA/AF have nothing to do with the API. So TECHINCALLY DX9 is Nvidia's as well lol.

Kamel
08-15-04, 01:25 AM
Well in fact it does also explain why the 5950 and even the Ti 4x00 run Doom3 just fine because nvidia optimized their hardware since the last few generations for shadow volumes although ATI only did concentrate on basic hardware accelerated performance and shaders.

Basically it's not true that nvidia did design their hardware for Doom3, they based their last few generations on games which will use shadow volumes extensively because this is the only way how future games will render shadows with the exception of HL2 and FarCry and that's why in the end they designed their latest GPUs for Doom3.

Doom3 is the first major title using a unified lighting and shadowing architecture which can make full use out of nvidia's optimizations but other games based on different engines will follow. It's not like only Doom3 engine based games can take advantage out of these design decisions.

In the future all major games will offer shadow volumes and not shadow maps and so nvidia has a definite winner here because GeForce GPUs can accelerate all those nice shadow and lighting effects much better than current Radeons can.

in that case, i guess it's just a matter of preception.

Templar
08-15-04, 04:40 AM
"It's official. NV40 was designed for Doom3."

And what a blessing it is!

Simon

nvjarett
08-15-04, 04:48 AM
AVP 3 :drooling:

prove to me that AvP 3 is in the works; i've seen nothing on this.

Nutty
08-15-04, 05:25 AM

Actually alot of devs prefer shadow maps over stencil shadows for alot of reasons. Stencil shadows dont work with alpha masks. Doing soft edged stencil shadows is very expensive, and shadow volume work increases with poly complexity.

I've heard alot of ppl say shadow maps will be the most widely used shadowing technique of the future.