PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 multiplayer extremely choppy?

ynnek
08-14-04, 08:27 PM
Hey, I just tried a multiplayer game for the first time.. ping of 60, 3 other players.. and it was extremely choppy...

in single player mode, this game is smooooth on my 6800GT, 2.6HT, 1.5 gigs of PC3200 ram.. but i swear, I was getting like 10 or 15 fps in multiplayer mode.....

anyone else seeing this?

Mathesar
08-14-04, 08:49 PM
Yea I see the same thing , I even tried dropping the res to 640x480 just to test but this didnt help ..hopefully ID improves on this with a patch, they need to fix the in game browser as well..its a buggy mess (ack)

Kamel
08-14-04, 08:54 PM
hmm, i don't notice any performance difference between single player and multiplayer (as far as FPS goes).

Edge
08-14-04, 11:49 PM
To be honest, I wasn't overly impressed by the performance in general with my XP2000 (and I could definatly tell that I was CPU limited), the shadows seem to eat up a lot of CPU resources. Since multiplayer seems to have even more lighting and shadowing effects to keep track of, I think it bogs down the CPU even more than the single-player does. I guess you could try turning off the shadows in multiplayer (at least it appeared you can when I hosted a LAN game), even though it's EXTREMELY unfair to other players.

ynnek
08-15-04, 09:15 PM
okay I spent some time and I reached this conclusion:
Well, at least over the internet, multiplayer sucks.

1) Browser is buggy.. sorting is kinda funky, and every server that I picked that was liike 1/4 returned server full.. even after I refreshed the list

2) Huge FPS drop.. I played iwth the FPS counter on and with one or two guys, it dropped down to 15 fps.. in single player, with a few enemies, it never dropps below 25ish.. Anyways multiplayer feels EXTREMELY choppy.

3) Lag was horrible! I played on a server that reported pings of 70ish.. I shot the shotgun, and literally you can hear and feel the timedelay.. like a couple hundredths of a second

I'm disappointed... D3 was a great single player game, but I'll go back to UT2k4 for my fast twitch FPS action.