PDA

View Full Version : Computer locks up doing certain tasks...

Inukoro
08-14-04, 10:23 PM
After returning two (supposedly) defected ATI Radeon 9800 Pros, I finally jumped boat over to Nvidia, and picked up a 5900 XT. Both ATI cards gave me corruption throughout Windows, and in games.

However, now I'm having problems that I've never had before.

The problem seemed to have happen several months after I purchased the video card. Now, this problem doesn't occur in 3D applications... just on the desktop.

Doing certain tasks such as using the RUN prompt, or saving something in Adobe Photoshop, or anything that involves a window that popups--the computer freezes... I wait for several seconds, the screen goes black, and then it returns to normal. 99% of the time, that certain popup will be corrupt, and I won’t be able to see the buttons/text.

It's getting to the point where the computer just restarts. Screen goes into 'power save' mode, and several seconds later, the computer restarts. The first time this occurred I got a warning message involving something to do with the 5900XT.

When I installed the 5900XT, I formatted the computer. The system is clean from any other video drivers.

I used Driver Cleaner earlier today to clean out the existing drivers, and re-install them... but that proved to not correct anything. Though, in safe mode, without any display drivers installed, the bug seemed to disappear.... but I didn't test it that much to get a solid answer.

Windows XP Home Edition SP2 (Problem occured before I installed SP2)
Pen. 4 2.4Ghz HT
Asus P4S800 Mobo

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of problem?

Thanks.

Raptorman
08-14-04, 10:36 PM
Uncheck automatic reboot and see what the error is.

saturnotaku
08-14-04, 10:38 PM
SiS' Pentium 4 chipsets are notoriously bad. I wouldn't rule out the motherboard as the source of your problem. But you also should check the power supply since you've been experiencing problems with both NVIDIA and ATI cards.

Inukoro
08-14-04, 10:49 PM
Uncheck automatic reboot and see what the error is.

Oh? How? Though, I don't see how. The monitor goes into power save mode...

SiS' Pentium 4 chipsets are notoriously bad. I wouldn't rule out the motherboard as the source of your problem. But you also should check the power supply since you've been experiencing problems with both NVIDIA and ATI cards.

Yes. I've been having thoughts that the power supplies has been the culprit all along. Though, the card runs Beautifully in games.

Edit: One of the 9800 Pros was plugged into another computer, as well. The results were similar. (Both PSUs could of been crappy, though. :) )

Inukoro
08-14-04, 11:52 PM
Looks like this guy had a similar problem:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17869&highlight=desktop+freezes