PDA

View Full Version : 65.xx - will Nvidia get them out before HL2

Pages : [1] 2

Ruined
08-15-04, 09:46 AM
It appears 65.xx includes a new filtering optimization similar to the x800 series that greatly improves performance. IMO they need to get these out before Half Life 2 to avoid getting beat by ATI. Do you think they'll release them in time?

saturnotaku
08-15-04, 09:48 AM
According to the latest from ebgames.com, HL2 is scheduled to ship on Sept. 1. If that's true, I personally don't believe those drivers will be out. I hope I'm wrong though.

MontoyaSG
08-15-04, 09:59 AM
According to the latest from ebgames.com, HL2 is scheduled to ship on Sept. 1. If that's true, I personally don't believe those drivers will be out. I hope I'm wrong though.

they can always release it as beta

Ruined
08-15-04, 10:01 AM

Hmm I think the sept 1 date is BS but then again I don't think NV is gonna get these out in time which is a shame.

burningrave101
08-15-04, 10:24 AM
If Valve releases HL2 on Sept 1 then i really doubt nVidia will have these new drivers out by then.

I also dont think the ATI cards are going to run away from the 6800's in HL2 using the current drivers. Valve is well known for making an engine that is extremely playable on even low end machines. HL2 wont be anywhere near the graphics demon that DOOM 3 is. Half Life 2 will also support SM 3.0 in an upcoming patch which is nice as well.

Lezmaka
08-15-04, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't believe any released date given by a retailer, especially when the developer hasn't announced that the game has gone gold. When Valve (or it's publisher) announces a release date, I still wouldn't believe it. It was almost a year ago when they were adament about a release date, only to say it's not coming out just a week or so before it was supposed to be released. And now that delay has reached almost a year.

Templar
08-15-04, 10:55 AM
Half Life Smell Life

walkndude
08-15-04, 11:09 AM
I dont understand this thread exactly as the 65.62 betas have allready been available for a week and quite a few of us are currently using them...

Since I'm using a 6800gt it also doesn't matter to me if ati "beats" nv in hl2 as long as it runs properly on my system as well.

anzak
08-15-04, 11:15 AM
Valve is well known for making an engine that is extremely playable on even low end machines.

Doom 3 is playable with a 1.5Ghz P4, Geforce 4mx, and 256mb of memory. That is low end IMO.

HL2 wont be anywhere near the graphics demon that DOOM 3 is.

At least Half Life 2 will have high res textures and high poly models. :rolleyes: The only advantage Doom 3 has is per pixel lighting. Doom 3 looks better than half life 2 because of the game not the engine.

Half Life 2 will also support SM 3.0 in an upcoming patch which is nice as well.

LINKS!! :ORDER: :ORDER: :ORDER: :ORDER:

No one can provide a link because it's only a rumor.

Lezmaka
08-15-04, 12:10 PM
At least Half Life 2 will have high res textures and high poly models. :rolleyes: The only advantage Doom 3 has is per pixel lighting. Doom 3 looks better than half life 2 because of the game not the engine

Counter-Strike Source BETA Impressions (http://www.game2xs.com/content.php?action=article&contentid=2431)

The guy said he was using medium quality and low shadows when he played it, so maybe that's what was used in the screenshots, but I'd say Battlefield 1942 or Battlefield Vietnam looks better than those shots. The models look pretty low poly and the textures look pretty low res, but maybe HL2 on high quality will be better.

nmyeti
08-15-04, 01:25 PM
At least Half Life 2 will have high res textures and high poly models. :rolleyes: The only advantage Doom 3 has is per pixel lighting. Doom 3 looks better than half life 2 because of the game not the engine.

The doom3 engine supports very high resolution textures and very high poly count models. They are just not used in the current game.

killahsin
08-15-04, 02:33 PM
Doom 3 is playable with a 1.5Ghz P4, Geforce 4mx, and 256mb of memory. That is low end IMO.

LINKS!! :ORDER: :ORDER: :ORDER: :ORDER:

No one can provide a link because it's only a rumor.

Q: Will we see any graphical enhancements and/or support for future technologies through Steam?

A: Gabe talked about how through Steam they could add enhanced graphics as they become available. "If a user say, installs a brand new x900 (assuming that's what is next) that has some fancy new features that there old card didn't support, such as pixel shader 3 (for example). We (VALVe) could release a small update to the game to download that content to that user's computer as soon as Steam discovers the new Video Card". Basically they can release custom content to your computer depending on your system; and if you upgrade to hardware that enables a new technology, it can enable it!

as i posted in a earlier thread there is your quote

and give me a sec to get the link

EDIT: http://www.planethalflife.com/features/articles/hl2qa/ <- theres your link

rumor status ended

aAv7
08-15-04, 02:37 PM
I dont think HL2 will be out before 9/30/04 even then, I doubt nvidia will have an official new driver set by then....but i'm sure a beta or two will leak.

Templar
08-15-04, 02:37 PM
DOOM>hl2

aAv7
08-15-04, 02:55 PM
templar = troll =)

monly
08-15-04, 02:58 PM
i think its fairly obvious hl2 will be a better GAME than doom 3, although doom3 is amazing.

lIqUID
08-15-04, 03:03 PM
Those CS source beta shots dont even look as good as SOF2 which is a couple years old. :lame:

subbo
08-15-04, 10:40 PM
Then again half of the current CS mass is using a Riva TNT2 so I guess valve have to make the transition to the source engine "possible" for those poor gits.

Waffles
08-16-04, 04:12 AM
Hey man, thats not cool :) I was using a TNT2 up until 2 weeks ago (finally got a 6800Ultra).

Lfctony
08-16-04, 04:43 AM
Doom 3 is a very good game, though I expect Half Life 2 to be better due to all those elements that made HL1 a good game. Doom 3 is a bit repetitive at times. I just hope HL2 delivers, I haven't played a really good game for ages now.

Nuvian
08-16-04, 06:43 AM
doom3 got boring for me quite fast,was nothing but eye candy imo,hopefully HL2 will have a bit deeper and fun gameplay,hopefully these drivers will be out before hl2,and i think they will,prolly not WHQL but who cares ?:)

wEEt
08-16-04, 07:30 AM
the 65.62 already has options for SLI :)

mrgoodcheese
08-16-04, 09:39 AM
The answer to the original poll, obviously is "yes", since the 65.xx are already out and work like a champ.

As for HL2, when it does finally come out around 9/31/2005 nVidia's drivers will be near the 82.xx series.

Pandora's Box
08-16-04, 11:42 AM
what optimizations are we talking about? the af optimizations?

Helanic Frost
08-16-04, 11:53 PM
i think its fairly obvious hl2 will be a better GAME than doom 3, although doom3 is amazing.

How so? Seriously. I just don't see it. I've seen hundreds of HL2 screenies and it just looks kinda dated compared to DOOM3. DirectX9 isn't all that and a box of crackers ya know. OPENGL can do just about anything DX can do. Most coders use DX cause it's easier for them, in other words they are lazy. Carmack doesn't choose OPENGL because he likes inferior tech. I prefer OPENGL myself, as performance is usually better than DX.