PDA

View Full Version : Quality vs High Quality

Venturi
08-15-04, 02:02 PM
In the control panel of nvidia drivers (61.xx and up to 65.xx)

WHAT is the actual difference between QUALITY and HIGH Quality?

THX in advance

Jay

Box specs

Win 2003 Ent Srv
Dual AMD Opteron 250
Tyan s2885 (1GHZ bus) bios 2.03
8GB Ram
Evga 6800 U ExEd
1 Terabyte SATA RAID

Doom III benchie -1600x1200 Ult high Quality, 2x Anis, 8x AA
28.9sec 72FPS

Banko
08-15-04, 02:44 PM
Quality has some optimizations on, High Quality has none and is run in pure 100% trilinear.

fivefeet8
08-15-04, 03:50 PM
In "Quality" mode, you have the option to disable the "Tri Opts" and "AF opts" and a new optimization in the 65.xx beta drivers. Choosing "High Quality" will disable all optimizations, probably even some not allowed to be disabled and doesn't allow you to enable them singularly.

dcorban
08-17-04, 11:17 AM
I was getting bad performance in Doom 3 at the default Doom video settings of 640x480 medium quality. I couldn't figure out why my FX5700 was doing worse than my wife's TI4200. Then one day I noticed that I had set the Nvidia control panel to "high quality". I set it back to "quality". I immediately gained over 10 FPS in my timedemo. I am still not sure what difference in quality it gave. ;)

Also, I found it interesting that "high quality" mode is only available on FX and higher cards.

Lezmaka
08-17-04, 12:26 PM
Also, I found it interesting that "high quality" mode is only available on FX and higher cards.

That's because GF4 and previous didn't use any trilinear or anisotropic optimizations, so there would be no point in having such a mode as it would be identical to Quality.

rewt
08-17-04, 12:29 PM
But GF4 doesn't get the optimization controls either, or do they?

Optimizations are good when they can be switched On or Off. Everyone be sure to thank ATI for that ;) Now we get all these nice options to play with on our nVidia cards :D

DRen72
08-19-04, 12:57 PM
...one day I noticed that I had set the Nvidia control panel to "high quality". I set it back to "quality". I immediately gained over 10 FPS in my timedemo. I am still not sure what difference in quality it gave. ;)

So who else sees little or no visual perceptions between High Quality and Quality (optimizations on)?
6800 owners?

Jocomp10
08-19-04, 01:11 PM
I don't see aney difference.

fivefeet8
08-19-04, 01:15 PM
So who else sees little or no visual perceptions between High Quality and Quality (optimizations on)?
6800 owners?

Very few games actually show the weaknesses of these optimizations. ATi or Nvidia's. But there is one game I've have that does need them to be disabled. Halo PC. Lucky for Nvidia user's, we can disable the optimizations. ;)

rewt
08-19-04, 01:22 PM
6800 owners?

Thats actually the whole point. Optimizations are made to increase performance at little to no IQ (Image Quality) loss.

But I agree, in some games these options are very handy. Doom3 I like to run High Quality because it improves the filtering of the floor/grate, giving it a more realistic look.