PDA

View Full Version : New Paralax Mapping Mod

jAkUp
08-15-04, 02:59 PM
First of all... 4,000 posts!!! :nanahump: Now back to the topic...

Parallax Mapping Mod v1.0

Parallax Mapping Mod enhances Doom3's graphics engine by applying parallax mapping to all textures. Parallax mapping, also known as virtual displacement mapping, is a recent graphical technology that gives surfaces more depth and realism. Using a heavily modified vertex and pixel shader and a mix of custom and simulated height maps, this mod makes surfaces look more three-dimensional by offsetting bumps depending on your view. Although you may not see an obvious difference right away, look closely at surfaces and you will see an improvement compared to original Doom3. Most bumps will look like they're actually sticking out. This mod also works in user-made levels that have custom textures, and a tutorial is included to describe how to add optional height maps to your level for a true parallax effect.

NOTE: This mod requires at least a Radeon 9500 or GeForce FX

LINK: http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Parallax_Mapping_Mod_v10;29475

Screenshots:
http://img42.exs.cx/img42/9652/parallaxscreen1.jpg
http://img42.exs.cx/img42/5005/parallaxscreen2.jpg
http://img42.exs.cx/img42/4901/parallaxscreen3.jpg

Dunno if this has been posted yet, just saw it at PD :D

Looks fantastic.

Omega53
08-15-04, 03:01 PM
It doesnt work right on my 6800GT with the 65.xx drivers.

Nutty
08-15-04, 03:02 PM
Very interesting! Definitly gonna give this a try.

GlowStick
08-15-04, 04:06 PM
Filefront is so gay i cant even download from them.

jAkUp
08-15-04, 04:09 PM
try this link

http://download.filefront.com/3596403;a337629866230b9e3a80ca45542f78c2fb99bb7e76 24ef832371bfc517ea0a2b7a13f80a36d45b85

Intel17
08-15-04, 04:13 PM
It looks great. Now couldnt id have implimented this themselves?

Anyway :drooling:

SH0DAN
08-15-04, 04:46 PM
at what cost to speed ??

CaptNKILL
08-15-04, 04:46 PM
I just used it and it does look great, but i think it killed my framerate. I was at the last level of the game (starting at that last elevator) and in some places it ran horrible. I fought the final boss going at about 15fps (i still won :D).

I dont know if the mod causes this or if theres just a LOT of stuff in the last level of the game. But I never had this bad of performance the whole time I played the game.

Ill go remove the mod and try the level again to see if its the cause.

Also, it makes some textures look awefull. Some are extremely blocky and pixelated (not smooth pixelated... im talking Doom pixelated.. the original Doom) and others have extremely jagged lines. Other textures do look amazing with this mod though.

Edge
08-15-04, 04:51 PM
Wow, screenshots look nice, suprising that the engine apperently supports parallox mapping but they didn't actually use it in the game...wonder why. Maybe the performance hit or backwords compatability kept them from enabling it by default?

Intel17
08-15-04, 04:53 PM
Wow, screenshots look nice, suprising that the engine apperently supports parallox mapping but they didn't actually use it in the game...wonder why. Maybe the performance hit or backwords compatability kept them from enabling it by default?

Maybe they "wanted to basically present the same experience on all supported cards" :lame: I cant believe they didnt enable it by deafult.

CaptNKILL
08-15-04, 05:00 PM
Well this mod is what killed my performance. Id say it cut it in half in some spots. And lots of textures look better without it. I cant say I noticed too many scenese where it helped, but some things do look better.

If someone would go through the textures and find the ones that looked significantly better and delete the crappy ones, id say this mod would be worth it. But right now, it kills performance and lowers image quality in many places, so its not really worth a few really nice textures.

BTW, the end of this game is so easy. The cyber demon is a total joke, the only time hes difficult is when you get too close to him.

SH64
08-15-04, 05:50 PM
Cool! gonna try it out .. :)

Btw is this Parallax mapping too in this screenshot ?

http://img15.exs.cx/img15/4331/T3Main2004-08-1601-41-10-53.jpg

Edge
08-15-04, 06:44 PM
Maybe they "wanted to basically present the same experience on all supported cards" :lame:

If that's true, then why would they enable the heat effects which are only availible on DX9 and up cards?

And SH64, I *think* that's just regular bump mapping or maybe normal mapping, since I don't think the Thief 3 engine supports Paralox or offset mapping. Does look pretty nice though...is that with the high-res texturepack?

DaveW
08-15-04, 10:09 PM
This mod works for me, but it breaks texture filtering on a lot of the surfaces. AF is'nt work and some of the textures have no filtering at all, not even bi-linear.

fivefeet8
08-16-04, 01:19 AM
It does make the game look great because of all the VDM, but there is a lot of texture bugs. It's pixelated in a lot of places. Hopefully, an update will fix everything and give more speed. :)

killahsin
08-16-04, 04:40 AM
Okies I tried this mod out very nice definatly makes the game look better.

My speculation is the reason this wasn't but in to begin wiht is because not only of the performance issues. But the aliasing it creates within the lighting/textures themselves. The floor grates for instance show this the most. Therefor detering from the 'overall' quality, making you need to run AA in order to not have all the aliasing, therefor creating even more perf loss.

Nutty
08-16-04, 06:53 AM
I dont think you can say, the engine supports it, but they didn't enable it. I dont think D3 was ever designed to support it. To support it properly would require additional flags per surface, to stop some of the textures going wrong when applied to this.

Changing the fragment shader to use the bump-map for parallax mapping isn't exactly enabling something that was turned off, its adding something new.

I dont know why they didn't have it in, perhaps it would've meant additional changes to the tool chain, and they didn't really want to start messing with that.

Intel17
08-16-04, 07:03 AM
If that's true, then why would they enable the heat effects which are only availible on DX9 and up cards?

And SH64, I *think* that's just regular bump mapping or maybe normal mapping, since I don't think the Thief 3 engine supports Paralox or offset mapping. Does look pretty nice though...is that with the high-res texturepack?

Yeah, 1 heat effect. Robert Duffy even told me they wanted it to look the same on all supported cards.

Edge
08-16-04, 07:26 AM
And maybe that just means they took things that were originally going to be DX9 compatable and make them functional on GF3 cards. Hell, I'm suprised they didn't scale the heat effects down to GF3 level shaders, I mean it couldn't be that hard, I've seen similar effects in PS1 games for god's sake. Then again, considering you needed a $200+ graphics card just to get the same camo effect in Halo that was in the original Xbox version, I guess it's just the way of the industry to require things that really aren't needed (would it REALLY have been that difficult to get the same effect out of PS1.1?). But why on earth are you COMPLAINING that they didn't use more "advanced" effects when the game already looks so good and pushes current hardware nearly to it's limits? Look at Half-life 2, it supports all these high-end DX9 level shaders, and yet it doesn't have something as simple as real-time dynamic shadows like Doom 3 does (an effect works on a Geforce 4 MX card). But hey, it uses DX9 effects, so it must be better, right?

Intel17
08-16-04, 08:08 AM
wow, edge, I always had the impression you thought Doom3 was less advanced than FC, and HL2.

Doom 3's engine is the most advanced on the market, its just it would have been cool if the stuff was more shiny! (carmack said the current D3 engine couldnt do shinyness well)

Nutty
08-16-04, 08:20 AM
Doom 3's engine is the most advanced on the market, its just it would have been cool if the stuff was more shiny! (carmack said the current D3 engine couldnt do shinyness well)

url ? Cant do shininess well? I think you're mistaken on that. You can do environment maps, gloss maps, per texel specular exponents. Doom3 can do shininess very well.

Edge
08-16-04, 08:28 AM
Less advanced than Farcry, maybe. Less advanced than Half-life 2, I doubt it (graphically speaking, of course). In particular HL2 seems to have a very simplistic lighting and geometry rendering engine, it doesn't support things like dynamic shadows and the backgrounds seem fairly static compared to a game like Doom 3 (again, speaking only of graphics, gameplay-wise the ability to put a displacement map on any surface is a nice non-graphics oriented feature). To be honest HL2 seems like a DX7 game with DX9 effects, rather than being built from the ground up as a high-end engine like Doom 3 was. A GF3 might not seem like a very high end card, but it supports a number of impressive features and is still much better than what most games use as a base (most of them seem to think that a majority of PC users are using integrated graphics, and sadly they're right). Hell, most games don't even use bump mapping, let alone pixel shaders. So it's nice when a game like Doom 3 comes along and uses bump mapping on practically EVERYTHING and also supports very impressive shadow effects (something few games have attempted). It's hard to tell which base graphics *engine* is the best though, it seems many can be modded and manipulated to support things that it was never originally intented to support (such as Virtual Displacement Mapping in Farcry, or Parallax mapping in Doom 3).

killahsin
08-16-04, 10:59 AM
HL2 does support dynamic shadows. =)

http://www.halflife2.net/index.php?page=article_vs_editing

"Does Half-Life 2 support dynamic shadows like Doom 3?

Gabe Newell: Yes, we have dynamic shadows. We use a different approach than Doom3."

Always provide linkage =p

Edge
08-16-04, 11:03 AM
Well, sort of. The problem with HL2's shadows is that they're just projection shadows based on 1 light source (usually the sun), you won't see shadows being cast by things like flashlights or lamps. Definatly nowhere near Doom 3 quality, though it is a decent jump from Half-life 1.

killahsin
08-16-04, 11:08 AM
btw not to spam the thread but this quote from those questions is my favorite one

"Could I make my map completely destructible?

Gabe Newell: Yes."

and yes I do totally agree in an artistic aspect HL2 is not on the same quality level. But you also have to recognize they are two totally different art directions. Both engines capable of very similiar things, except for carmacks reverse.

Hmmm wait, I am following what your saying here but I'm not sure if I understand totally. If for instance what you are saying is correct. Than Say on a map where the sun is on the east side of the map, so the outside is casting shadows to the west. Than a charcter inside a building with a light source on the west will be casting shadows to the west also instead of the east?