PDA

View Full Version : Can we disable the clock reset on overtemp?

J-Bo
08-15-04, 03:21 PM
Hi,
I am new as you can tell. I upgraded from a 9700 Pro to a Gainward 6800 U GS. So far this card is amazing! It overclocks very good and runs everything smooth as silk.

If mine gets above 60c my overclock settings drop back down to stock clock on the fly. Is there anyway to stop this or set the reset temp to a higher temp? I know it puts the GPU at risk of burnout. :)

Thanks for your time,

Jason Smith A+ Network+

P.S. I did a search on the forums as found nothing, thanks.

J-Bo
08-15-04, 04:25 PM
Is there any way to force performance mode?

lightman
08-15-04, 04:32 PM
That function is there for a really good reason. That is, not to fry your GPU.

I don't know if there's a way to disable it, but being you I wouldn't even think about it. Unless you want to buy a new card soon, that is. :)

myshkinbob
08-15-04, 04:36 PM
if you search the forum for the 6800 bios editor that was posted about a few days ago, possibly in the sticky about bioses, you could download your bios from your card and edit the "throttle" mode clock speeds there.

That's the only time i've seen any way to control the throttle speeds myself, although i'm a relative newbie so maybe it is possible through the driver level controls. :)

J-Bo
08-15-04, 05:21 PM
Well I used that program to up the voltage which helped me hit 491 on the core. But it wont let me set the Thrtl. speed settings. (xxx)

J-Bo
08-15-04, 09:46 PM
I can benchmark @ 470/1275 but any higher on the core and the damn thing throttles itself. I can set the core as high 495 but it gets to 65c and then it goes into the alarm state. I have been reading on other forums where it should be throttling @ 110 c and not 65c. I get my core reading from the CP. arrrgh!

saturnotaku
08-15-04, 09:52 PM
I can benchmark @ 470/1275 but any higher on the core and the damn thing throttles itself. I can set the core as high 495 but it gets to 65c and then it goes into the alarm state. I have been reading on other forums where it should be throttling @ 110 c and not 65c. I get my core reading from the CP. arrrgh!

How exactly are you measuring your temperatures through the control panel? Are you running a 3D demo and immediately exiting out of it? If so, that doesn't give an accurate picture of the temperature. You need to have a program and the temperature displaying together in real time.

Download [url=http://www.deathfall.com/article.php?sid=2836]this[/b] demo and run it in a window while keeping the temperature display in your control panel open. Leave it running for several minutes to get a true picture of exactly how hot your GPU is getting.

J-Bo
08-15-04, 11:01 PM
I suspected this much as this is why I metioned I was getting the reading from the CP.

I will recheck.

Either way, according to the CP my threshold is 115c and I have read that others were set as high as 135c. I plan on putting a Danger Den on the core anyways. :)

J-Bo
08-16-04, 03:54 PM
FYI:

I did some digging at Extreme Forums and they got arround the Threshold limit by setting the 2D clock and the 3D clock the same in the BIOS.

J-Bo
08-16-04, 06:52 PM
I confirmed my last post. It does in fact clock down to 2D speeds when reaching the "Core slowdown threshold". However, it still pauses when switching modes.