PDA

View Full Version : vid card problem in some games

sonaboy
08-15-04, 05:59 PM
So, i have a nice new system and everything - MSI GF5950 Ultra 256 MB, Athlon 2.2 gig chip, 1 gig memory - but when i start up a game, many of them minimize and my comp goes back to desktop with the game still running, but won't UN-minimize. when i choose a right mouse button menu option of "Restore", UT2004 will resume with no probs.
Ravenshield will continue to minimize until i get an error - it's basically unplayable.

needless to say, my system isn't under any stress running either of these games (i can run DOOM3 in high quality mode with no issues at all) - so there's some setting in windows or my vid card stuff to take care of this - right?

i just don't know what it is.
i don't understand why such an old game gives me so much probs...

This is the error i get when i try and restore the gamescreen :

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2005 MHz with 1022MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 Ultra (5672)

UD3DRenderDevice::HandleFullScreenEffects->Lock() failed.

History: UD3DRenderDevice::SetRes <- WM_SIZE <- UWindowsViewport::ViewportWndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- UWindowsViewport::ViewportWndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

does this process list seem wrong to anyone?

ssj4goku887
08-15-04, 06:52 PM
reinstall direct x and your video drivers :) should fix your problem. ive seen this before and that fixed it heh.

sonaboy
08-15-04, 07:13 PM
reinstall direct x and your video drivers :) should fix your problem. ive seen this before and that fixed it heh.

dang, really?? i just installed direct X when i loaded in Doom 3 only 4 days ago.

i'll do it again i guess.

ssj4goku887
08-15-04, 09:08 PM
and your video drivers. this is a common problem in americas army and usualy the reinstall fo direct x and video drivers solves the problem. if not it may jsut be a conflict of some hardware or software in your system.

sonaboy
08-15-04, 11:41 PM
hmmm..now Raven Shield plays correctly, but UT2004 is showing wierd graphics issues in game. like it's missing textures or something...damn..

1 step forward, two steps back...

ssj4goku887
08-16-04, 08:50 AM
totaly uninstall ut2004. delete the fodlers and stuff after the uninstall. and reinstall it c if that helps.

sonaboy
08-19-04, 03:58 PM
hmmm..now Raven Shield plays correctly, but UT2004 is showing wierd graphics issues in game. like it's missing textures or something...damn..

1 step forward, two steps back...

Well, that's also not true now - Ravenshield will only work about 1 out of every 5 starts, otherwise it just bumps back to desktop (still running, but anyway).
Has anyone else had any probs since they installed DX9.0c?

Is there less of a chance of a screw up if you use the basic drivers that Nvidia makes, instead of the manufacturer's drivers for the card?

i'm sorta stuck...