PDA

View Full Version : Doom3 and Shadows

simonuk
08-16-04, 11:41 AM
I was recently messing around with Doom3 and benchmarked each of the advanced options to find out which resulted in the biggest performance hit:-

all advanced options disabled = 66fps
high quality special fx enabled = 66fps
shadows enabled = 46fps
specular enabled = 64fps
bump maps enabled = 64fps
2xaa enabled = 61fps
4xaa enabled = 57fps

Most of the options result in a small performance hit apart from shadows, does anyone know if Doom3 is using the fx5900's ultrashadow technology?

Pandora's Box
08-16-04, 11:43 AM
nope its not. there is a way to enable it though. check the doom 3 forum here. someone posted a thread on how to enable it. might of been ultrashadow 2 though.

simonuk
08-16-04, 11:50 AM
Thanks I will find the threat and try it with my 5900! :)

killahsin
08-16-04, 12:57 PM
make an autoexec.cfg file and put this in it. Then put that file in your base folder. It will auto load on startup of doom 3

set r_useDepthBoundsTest "1"
apparently carmack said a future nvidia driver will according to nvidia make better use of it. I'm not sure if the 65.xx's are those or the 70.xx's are. As i havent done bench checks myself, to lazy. Perf is great for me as is. Might help you a bit though

you can also move your monitor refresh rate up from the default of 60 with thiis command
set r_displayrefresh "85"

Ruined
08-16-04, 01:13 PM
No nvidia driver (not even betas) support ultrashadow yet.

Edge
08-16-04, 01:18 PM
The shadows are primarilly CPU based, so there isn't much of a GPU bottleneck unless you're using high resolution and AA/Aniso. All of the other options on the other hand are almost entirely GPU based, and have a very minimal performance impact on the card since they aren't really that demanding for the hardware. On my XP2000/ti4200 machine, disabling shadows can as much as double my framerate, yet none of the other options seems to have much of a performance impact.

BTW, what resolution were you running the game in? You might as well kick it up a notch or turn on AA/Aniso, since with shadows you appear to be CPU limited anyway.

simonuk
08-16-04, 03:04 PM
The shadows are primarilly CPU based, so there isn't much of a GPU bottleneck unless you're using high resolution and AA/Aniso. All of the other options on the other hand are almost entirely GPU based, and have a very minimal performance impact on the card since they aren't really that demanding for the hardware. On my XP2000/ti4200 machine, disabling shadows can as much as double my framerate, yet none of the other options seems to have much of a performance impact.

BTW, what resolution were you running the game in? You might as well kick it up a notch or turn on AA/Aniso, since with shadows you appear to be CPU limited anyway.

I run the game at 1024x768 with all of the options enabled apart from aa and I get 46fps. I know 46fps doesn't sound like much but I have played for a couple of days and the game is smooth and fast.