PDA

View Full Version : BFV Stresses 6800U More Than Doom3!

jcossin
08-16-04, 01:39 PM
I have a BfG 6800U and have had it clocked to 450/1200 since I got it. I have found that overclock to work great with every game except BFV (Battlefield Vietnam). For BFV, I have to down the core to 440.

I got Doom3 last week and was interested to see what would happen if I leave the settings at 450/1200 and play the game. Well I have logged about 10 hours of Doom3 play and have had NO issues at all with 450/1200.

I find it interesting that BFV actually stresses my card more than Doom3! After about 15 mins of playing BFV at 450/1200 I start getting red and blue artifacts like crazy and pretty soon the whole screen degrades to the point where all I am seeing is blue and red triangles all over the place. This is even with an extra fan blowing on the card.

ajay()
08-16-04, 01:53 PM
Not the same but similar :)

- I've found that my 5900u's temp raises far quicker and higher playing far cry than it does with doom3, in fact it hardly goes up at all with d3

anyone guess/know why?

aAv7
08-16-04, 01:54 PM
I still dont understand why people with systems as powerful as yours oc. What cant you play @ stock settings? All that risk for 5 more frames. =/ I'm running on a slower cpu and slower gpu and dont have a problem playing anything I own, from doom 3, to farcry, to painkiller, all the way down to quake 3 arena @ stock settings. Sorry, dont mean to sound like i'm attacking you or anything...just man...you have a 6800U and your pushing it to the point of seeing artifacts...just be careful.

aAv7
08-16-04, 01:55 PM
Not the same but similar :)

- I've found that my 5900u's temp raises far quicker and higher playing far cry than it does with doom3, in fact it hardly goes up at all with d3

anyone guess/know why?

Cause doom 3 is loaded with low res textures that dont push the card to it's limits? Man i'm sounding bitter today. Sorry guys...been a bad morning.

Ruined
08-16-04, 02:29 PM
heh next question is why do some 9800xt owners get overheating artifacts in doom3 and need to underclock but not in bfv or farcry?

shockwave203
08-16-04, 02:54 PM
heh next question is why do some 9800xt owners get overheating artifacts in doom3 and need to underclock but not in bfv or farcry?

exactly. my 9800pro can be clocked at 432/364 in Battlefield vietnam, but I have to lower the core to 409 to play doom3 with no artifacts.

and about that 'underclocking' issue- some people have their 9800's on a shared power cord with a hardrive, or CD drive or something.

giving the card a free power cord fixed the issue for a lot of people.

saberz
08-16-04, 06:01 PM
Perhaps its not using the transistors that Doom3 uses, so when your underclocking the card for doom3 your slowing / lowering the amount of data/power going to them. Where as in BF-V it doesnt use those transistors but emits the same amount of heat?

Its confusing but the heat caused by BF-V isnt from the usage of those "never used before transistors" so it might run fine, where as in doom3 those transistors were never tapped / exposed to that much use and that causes the artifacting.

Dunno if this is the case, but could be, or i've gone completely insane because im not even starting to understand what i've typed :rolleyes:

Ruined
08-16-04, 06:20 PM
But now we are talking about BFV using different transistors on the 6800 while Doom3 uses different transistors on the 9800?

Raptorman
08-16-04, 10:25 PM
Perhaps its not using the transistors that Doom3 uses, so when your underclocking the card for doom3 your slowing / lowering the amount of data/power going to them. Where as in BF-V it doesnt use those transistors but emits the same amount of heat?

Its confusing but the heat caused by BF-V isnt from the usage of those "never used before transistors" so it might run fine, where as in doom3 those transistors were never tapped / exposed to that much use and that causes the artifacting.

Dunno if this is the case, but could be, or i've gone completely insane because im not even starting to understand what i've typed :rolleyes:

What?

Pandora's Box
08-17-04, 12:03 AM
ai in this game. wtf:

http://img25.exs.cx/img25/8106/bfvietnam2004-08-1623-59-22-78.jpg

so tanks can now float and move in deep water. right...

btw i got around 20fps with 2xaa 4xaf with a 9800 pro 128mb. nice eh? using miles audio on a audigy 2zs since eax 3.0 is not usable in this game.