PDA

View Full Version : Move aside Doom 3 (and take your engine with you)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Slyder
08-16-04, 02:03 PM
Serious Sam 2 is on it's way.

I simply loved the original when it was released a while back, and when I heard news of SS2 was just around the corner I couldnt believe my luck. Powered by Serious Engine 2 this game boasts full Co-Op support (take note ID) full on multiplayer features and simply looks stunning.

SS2 is part of the Direct X 9c showcase (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx) over at Microsoft. No sign of Doom 3, but I am hardly surprised. Why showcase a bad game ? (sorry D3 lovers, I couldnt resist)

Anyone wanting a taster of this beautiful engine, you can find a sample here (http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?action=download&fileid=867&mirrorid=7&h=c86b0901363c2fa65fe35e3bf65238b8&filename=seriousengine2full.wmv)

Finally, a good game is on the way with what looks like a visually stunning engine.

Slybri
08-16-04, 02:04 PM
So when exactly is "right around the corner?"
How far awar is the corner?
Before or after HL2?

GlowStick
08-16-04, 02:11 PM
SS2 is part of the Direct X 9c showcase (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx) over at Microsoft. No sign of Doom 3, but I am hardly surprised. Why showcase a bad game ? (sorry D3 lovers, I couldnt resist)
Why is Doom3 not part of the DirectX9c Showcase? Gee could it be an OpenGL game?

majortom
08-16-04, 02:14 PM
serious sam 2 already came out back in '00 or '01. or do you mean a sequel to that?

mezkal
08-16-04, 02:18 PM
No sign of Doom 3, but I am hardly surprised. Why showcase a bad game ? (sorry D3 lovers, I couldnt resist)

OK. First off Doom 3 is GOOD game. It's sad that so many people snipe it. Secondly, its an OpenGL title, therefore why and how would MS showcase it? It doesn't relate to DirectX in the same way. Most people think DirectX when what they're being shown is Direct3D. You seem to be one of those also :P

Back on topic.

Serious Sam 2 looked good end of LAST YEAR. The engine is looking rather dated now. From what I've been able to see from the XNA Conference and E3 footage, we're looking at some nice per pixel stuff on the characters, quite a bit of alpha and high res textures. That stuff would have cut it prior to Far Cry and DOOM 3's releases (which have both shown the value in per pixel rendering) but now the Serious Engine 2 is looking rather bland - especially judging by what has been shown so far.

Serious Sam and Second Encounter were two of my favourite games. The Co-op play was awesome and the variety of graphics were great. The physics engine was a hoot as were the oversized (and well animated I might add) mid and end level bosses. That said I really don't see how the new game will cut it based on the footage that has been released.

My 2c.

GlowStick
08-16-04, 02:20 PM
serious sam 2 already came out back in '00 or '01. or do you mean a sequel to that?
Your are wrong, the game you are refering to is Serious Sam: The Second Encouter, this is Serious Sam 2

Slyder
08-16-04, 02:21 PM
Why is Doom3 not part of the DirectX9c Showcase? Gee could it be an OpenGL game?

Oh wow.. sarcasm.. yeah that was done so well.

DirectX®

Doom 3 requires you to have Microsoft® DirectX® on your computer. http://www.Microsoft.com/directx

Q. What is DirectX® and why do I need it?

A. DirectX® is a set of sound, video, input and network functions developed by Microsoft®. Doom 3 utilizes the functions that are included with DirectX®.

Q. I already have other Windows® 98/2000/ME/XP games installed on my computer. Will the Microsoft® DirectX® Installer change my DirectX® files?

A. If you already have other Windows® 98/2000/ME/XP games on your computer, chances are you already have a version of DirectX® installed. In this case, the Microsoft® installer will detect and overwrite any previous versions with DirectX®. At that point, you will need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. If, however, you already have DirectX® installed on your computer, the Microsoft® DirectX® installer will detect it and not overwrite any DirectX® files. You will not need to restart your computer after installation in order to run Doom 3.

I wont flame with you, you can believe whatever you wish, but I think you will find this is a Direct X game ;)

Yes. Serious Sam came as First and Second encounter. Essentially they were one game. This is the full blow sequal.

GlowStick
08-16-04, 02:24 PM
Oh wow.. sarcasm.. yeah that was done so well.

DirectX®

Doom 3 requires you to have Microsoft® DirectX® on your computer. http://www.Microsoft.com/directx

Q. What is DirectX® and why do I need it?

A. DirectX® is a set of sound, video, input and network functions developed by Microsoft®. Doom 3 utilizes the functions that are included with DirectX®.

Q. I already have other Windows® 98/2000/ME/XP games installed on my computer. Will the Microsoft® DirectX® Installer change my DirectX® files?

A. If you already have other Windows® 98/2000/ME/XP games on your computer, chances are you already have a version of DirectX® installed. In this case, the Microsoft® installer will detect and overwrite any previous versions with DirectX®. At that point, you will need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. If, however, you already have DirectX® installed on your computer, the Microsoft® DirectX® installer will detect it and not overwrite any DirectX® files. You will not need to restart your computer after installation in order to run Doom 3.

I wont flame with you, you can believe whatever you wish, but I think you will find this is a Direct X game ;)

Yes. Serious Sam came as First and Second encounter. Essentially they were one game. This is the full blow sequal.
Id engines has has allways used DirectInput, however its like a module and can easily be changed for whatever OS the build is for.

However for whats important Id uses openGL, however if doom3 was an DirectX game, Microsoft would take all of those games out and only showcase Doom3.

Banko
08-16-04, 02:26 PM
What microsoft means by directx 9.0c titles is when the game uses the whole thing to do everything. Doom 3 is using openg gl for video, has custom network code, and custom sound as well I think. As far as I know doom 3 just uses it for input. So it would not be in microsoft's show case.

aAv7
08-16-04, 02:34 PM
1.) Doom 3 is opengl-microsoft wouldnt showcase it because of that. Your pretty much laughing at doom 3 for not being on a microsoft page the same way someone would laugh that ms made no reference to linux on their site.

2.) This game has no release date-could take until 2006 before we see it for all we know. The developers diary shows their still pretty earlier in development stages of the game.

3.) Anyone know if this is gonna be one of those $19.99 budget priced games, like the first 2 serious sam's?

r2d2d3d4d5
08-16-04, 02:39 PM
OK. First off Doom 3 is GOOD game. It's sad that so many people snipe it. Secondly, its an OpenGL title, therefore why and how would MS showcase it? It doesn't relate to DirectX in the same way. Most people think DirectX when what they're being shown is Direct3D. You seem to be one of those also :P

Back on topic.

Serious Sam 2 looked good end of LAST YEAR. The engine is looking rather dated now. From what I've been able to see from the XNA Conference and E3 footage, we're looking at some nice per pixel stuff on the characters, quite a bit of alpha and high res textures. That stuff would have cut it prior to Far Cry and DOOM 3's releases (which have both shown the value in per pixel rendering) but now the Serious Engine 2 is looking rather bland - especially judging by what has been shown so far.

Serious Sam and Second Encounter were two of my favourite games. The Co-op play was awesome and the variety of graphics were great. The physics engine was a hoot as were the oversized (and well animated I might add) mid and end level bosses. That said I really don't see how the new game will cut it based on the footage that has been released.

My 2c.

I don't care if the graphics are not ground braking. I just want a fun game that looks good. ID have made a great tech demo and a good game. If SS2 is the other way around then I won’t be complaining.

majortom
08-16-04, 02:40 PM
oh, ok. i loved ss both the first and second encounters. coop in it was freakin awesome.

Slyder
08-16-04, 02:50 PM
oh, ok. i loved ss both the first and second encounters. coop in it was freakin awesome.

Wasnt it just.

4 player split screen on one comp and you could all play Co-Op. Games today always miss these basic elements.

Intel17
08-16-04, 02:50 PM
wow, someone actually thinks Serious Sam 2's engine is better than Doom 3's.

and I thought people were out of their minds saying CryEngine and Source were superior to Doom 3's engine. :lame:

I love the serious sam games however.

Slyder
08-16-04, 02:55 PM

Did I say that ? Did I specificly say the engine is "better" then the D3 one. I dont believe so. I said it looks better not that it was, and other then the demo I linked to, Serious Engine 2 is still premature.

But to satisfy your post, yes it is better even thou I have never played a game with an engine that is not even out yet. ;)

aAv7
08-16-04, 03:11 PM

and I thought people were out of their minds saying CryEngine and Source were superior to Doom 3's engine. :lame:

I love the serious sam games however.

I guess you should make 6 threads now, asking people if they think ss 2's engine "looks nicer" than the cryengine and source. :rolleyes:

schuey74
08-16-04, 03:14 PM
SS2 is going to rock. I absolutely love the first two Sams and have been fiending ever since it was announced. According to Croteam, we'd be lucky to get the game this year, although it is possible.

Intel17
08-16-04, 03:19 PM
Its good to see some oldschool games with Co-Op :) I cant wait for SS2

Mike1357
08-16-04, 03:24 PM
http://www.evilirishbastard.com/cache/flameon.jpg

:) :D ;) :ORDER: :flame: :firedevil

Ok, I'm done. Sorry!

Back on topic though, I've never had the chance to try serious sam, but it sounds like a neat game, from the sound of you all.

jAkUp
08-16-04, 03:25 PM
Jeez this topic is ridiculous. Serious Sam is basically Painkiller. Can you not see how difficult it would be to add co-op in Doom3? It would have no scripted sequences, since it would be pratically impossible, that means less scare factor... which is what the game is based around. Im glad it has no co-op so they didn't have to dumb down the singleplayer experience with just hordes of enemies... a la SS2, Painkiller.

Both are great games, but nowhere near Doom3. Not to mention the grapics in Serious Sam 2 while are ok, are nothing in comparision to doom3. Have you seen the Serious Sam 2 demo movie? Making a game with millions of enemies with no A.I running at you is too easy. id could have done that if they wanted, but they chose the Half-Life style approach. A good choice IMO. The ss2/Painkiller are fun for about the first couple hours, but its all the same after a while.

SS2 is gonna have 3Dc support for ATi cards though.. I guess thats kinda cool.

killahsin
08-16-04, 03:30 PM
I guess you should make 6 threads now, asking people if they think ss 2's engine "looks nicer" than the cryengine and source. :rolleyes:

hahaha that made my day

Anyways the engine is nice but lets be a little bit realistic here. In the movies it seemed like the only thing that had offset mapping was the character models.

Slyder
08-16-04, 03:34 PM
Jeez this topic is ridiculous. Serious Sam is basically Painkiller.

Painkiller is basically Serious Sam, since Painkiller was released after Serious Sam ;)

Can you not see how difficult it would be to add co-op in Doom3? .

No, but I will take a guess. About as easy as it is to remove the co-op altogether. Lets be honest here, it was ment to have coop, it was planed, thats fact. The idea to remove it for PC and keep it for Xbox is stupid.

Im glad it has no co-op so they didn't have to dumb down the singleplayer experience with just hordes of enemies... a la SS2, Painkiller..

They wouldnt of had to dumb down anything. The other friendly player could always kill what stupidly spawns behind you.

Both are great games, but nowhere near Doom3. Not to mention the grapics in Serious Sam 2 while are ok, are nothing in comparision to doom3. Have you seen the Serious Sam 2 demo movie?.

Yes I have thank you. Visually it looks more impressive then anything I have seen this year. I wouldnt link to a demo video, give an opinion and not watch it, and I am sorry to say this, but when Serious Sam 2 comes out, Doom 3 will not even come close to it in terms of playability.

jAkUp
08-16-04, 03:40 PM
Scripted sequences... as in the cutscenes, triggers, such as imps crawling down walls, dead bodies floating, etc. The Xbox is a different game. Why do you think id would not add it to the pc? Everybody wants it.... reason is its too difficult. It just would not work. There is a mod for doom3 out right now. It just doesnt work with the scripted sequences, etc. You cannot guarantee that the players are gonna be in the exact same area at the exact same time. The other player is gonna miss out on the scarefactor and scripted sequences, which is what doom3 is based around.

The original Half-Life does not have co-op. Why doesnt anyone complain? Its the same deal here.

Vash
08-16-04, 03:43 PM
No, but I will take a guess. About as easy as it is to remove the co-op altogether. Lets be honest here, it was ment to have coop, it was planed, thats fact. The idea to remove it for PC and keep it for Xbox is stupid

Could you link to that .plan file update? Cause, IIRC, Doom 3 PC has never had co-op planned for it. I do remember hearing that the contractor that is porting it to the Xbox is adding co-op, but this is most likely because Microsoft requires that the Xbox version of games that are ported have some sort of Xbox-only content. Again, that's IIRC.

Why the hostility?

Arioch
08-16-04, 03:47 PM
This thread comes across as flame bait to me.

That would be like me telling someone "Hey Dufus, take your fat ***** girlfriend home, here comes my sexy mate!"