PDA

View Full Version : [D3]High-Resolution Texture Pack Ever?

Pages : [1] 2

<slayer>
08-16-04, 03:54 PM
After reading many threads on the dissapointing low-resolution textures in D3, is it possible that ID will/could release a high-res texture pack? How difficult would this be for them to do? (I wonder if ID has even heard of/cares about people complaining about this.) BTW, I personally think it's an awesome game, so all those who are going to post "Why can't people just enjoy the game for what it is blah blah blah..." - Save it.

Nutty
08-16-04, 04:02 PM
I dont find the textures low res at all.. Maybe one or two, but on the whole it was very detailed from how I played.

How much VRAM do you have? It auto scales down textures depending on how much VRAM you have.

<slayer>
08-16-04, 04:09 PM
I'm talking about screenshots that I have seen posted in Ultra Quality with advanced visual tweaks applied via the config. Most have suggested that the textures be compressed high-resolution, as opposed to being uncompressed low-resolution. If this was done, the game would still run well due to the compression and look better than what is now Ultra Quality.

jAkUp
08-16-04, 08:57 PM
I hope they release a high texture pack... alot of the textures could use a facelift. And what makes it worse, is everything else looks really good graphics wise, so it makes some of the ugly textures stick out. The NPC's clothes could use redoing. And some of the walls are pretty ugly. While others look ok

Mike1357
08-16-04, 09:00 PM
Example: A persons face will be extremely detailed with tons of bump mapping and then their collar will be blurry, making your attention draw to it.
Or maybe thats just with me :P

Seoulstriker
08-16-04, 09:33 PM
The low-res textures aren't noticable if you aren't looking for them. Sometimes I am disappointed in some of them, but the overall graphics are still incredible. The computer screens totally make up for it. :drooling:

What's the point of having a high-res sky texture like HL2 if the lighting isn't there to back it up?

And yes, I'm looking forward to the high-res pack if it is ever possible. The VRAM usage is enough as it is! :)

Intel17
08-16-04, 09:39 PM
I hope they release a high texture pack... alot of the textures could use a facelift. And what makes it worse, is everything else looks really good graphics wise, so it makes some of the ugly textures stick out. The NPC's clothes could use redoing. And some of the walls are pretty ugly. While others look ok

Well, it takes a lot of video memory to render a Specular, Diffuse, Color and bump map. I can forgive id for the low quality, because they are doing things so everything is consistent and the world looks great.

I cant wait till we get 1GB vram cards and Quake 4 :)

jAkUp
08-16-04, 10:49 PM
Can't they use some mild compression on the specular, diffuse etc. To reduce the texture memory usage while using higher resolution textures? It makes sense to me...

aAv7
08-16-04, 11:17 PM
it can be done...I think they were in a hurry to push the game out the door to meet financial quarter expectations from activison. Or they've gotten lazy. Either way, I hope a patch is made with higher textures...or a mod ..one a bit less buggy than the parrell mod.

Edge
08-17-04, 05:14 AM
Can't they use some mild compression on the specular, diffuse etc. To reduce the texture memory usage while using higher resolution textures? It makes sense to me...

That's what they do use when the game is set to medium or high quality, it's only on ultra high that they don't compress anything. That's the only real problem: is that ultra high doesn't actually increase texture quality, it just removes the compression from the textures. They never really put much effort into that part of the game, they figured that a 128 megabyte videocard would be thier focus point, the ultrahigh mode was pretty much just added in for people with larger cards that wanted to brag about playing the game in even "higher" quality.

The main problem with offering enhanced textures is that they'd have to make ANOTHER set of textures that are even higher resolution than the ones already included, basically what they did until now was use a certain texture res as the base and then scale it down for lower hardware. Including better textures would basically force them to remake all the regular textures in even higher resolution, and considering the current textures already take up almost a gig of data, the probably would've had to include another 2-3 discs and take up about double the amount of harddrive space for a feature very few people would be able to use.

Now I'd love to see the team put togeather a set of enhanced textures, but I'd rather have them work on an expansion pack that offers NEW textures (even if they are a bit low-res) and a new campaign rather than just slight improvements to a game that most of use have already beaten, wouldn't you ;)

majortom
08-17-04, 11:54 AM
my guess was that at that time of development, 128 m cards were just coming out (maybe 01 or 02), and they thought that by the time d3 came out, not too many people would have 256m cards (and they dont, people here with 256 cards are a small minority of gamers). but thats just my own opinion.

Ninjaman09
08-17-04, 01:11 PM
You're right, majortom. It's obvious that id's focus has been getting Doom 3 running well on a mainstream computer, not enthusiast systems like most of us have. I just hope that this time around, when games that take advantage of our cards' features DO come out, our systems will still be powerful enough to run them. Time will tell, I guess.

Arioch
08-17-04, 01:20 PM
ID games always pushed the hardware envelope and I don't think anyone was playing any iteration of Quake at high framerates and resolutions for some time after their initial releases.

killahsin
08-17-04, 04:40 PM
Yes but they aren't playing doom3 in that format either. But if you got top of the line hardware when quake 3 came out you could break 100 frames

Banko
08-17-04, 04:53 PM
When quake 3 came out, I was playing with a voodoo 3 3000 at 800x600 max details lol with an intel celeron 433mhz and 96mb of pc100 ram, and a 20gig maxtor drive lol.

Mike1357
08-17-04, 04:55 PM
I like how Half Life did it. The Blueshift expansion pack came out and it included a High-Definition pack which didn't totally change the whole look of the game but it made it look better than it was before. Maybe D3 will do kinda the same thing. That would be cool.

<slayer>
08-17-04, 05:21 PM
Primarily, I'm just wondering if ID even knows that people are unsatisfied with the current textures, considering all the reviews that have been posted about how great the graphics are (in general). Do they know themselves that lots of the textures in the game are in-fact low-res or are they fooling themselves that "it still looks good" and "look at all the great reviews and people saying the graphics are awesome."

***CENSORED***
08-17-04, 10:48 PM
I think high res textures mean everything. I'm much more impressed with HL2's look than Doom 3's look because of this. The average texture in HL2 is said to be at 1024x1024, with textures able to go up to 2048x2048. I wonder what Doom 3's average texture size is?

jAkUp
08-18-04, 02:38 AM
Maybe we should email good ol carmack for a texture pack :D

holmes
08-18-04, 11:57 AM
I noticed this hi-res skin pack (http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/144497.shtml) on fileplanet, someone wanna give it a try?

Mike1357
08-18-04, 02:25 PM
Is it just me, or is there something SERIOUSLY wrong with this guy's hand? http://dynamici.server239.com/uploads/e89r3u832.jpg

holmes
08-18-04, 03:33 PM
hmm.. didn't really notice that. looks kind of "zombified"..

Kamel
08-18-04, 04:07 PM
doom3 is a foot shooter. most times in games, they make a texture at a very high resolution, then scale it down to what is needed for the game. i know when i was working at becomming a graphic artist that's what i did, i tried to make a texture high enough resolution that i would never need to scale it up. almost like the whole philosephy "you can always take your jacket off, but you can't spawn one when you get cold, so you better take your jacket with you" ok, maybe my mom didn't tell me exactly that but you get the idea.

it's retarded to run textures uncompressed, the compression is lossless, so why does it matter anyway?

i disagree, the average card has quickly become 256MB IMO. all the new series are 256mb, and many of the older cards too (fx5900u/fx5950u etc). besides, why make an enthusiast game for a regular user? i could be wrong, but i think the doom3 developers knew that there were tons of people buying new pc's and hardware just for the game, if the users knew that if they got a 256mb card to get the high quality textures, by god i bet they would, lol.

DaveW
08-19-04, 02:07 PM
it's retarded to run textures uncompressed, the compression is lossless...

Err.. no its not.

Anyway, I'm happy with the resolution of most of the textures. Theres just 10% or so that look to low. They could fix these without doing much to the video ram requirements. The lab-coat type uniforms and the table tops stand out as a couple of examples. The scene with Swan arguing with Betruger near the beginning looks pretty bad.

You can edit those textures yourself and replace them with higher res ones. The problem I think is that if you double the size of the texture, the surface will cut off half of it. You have to modify the model to scale the new texture properly to the surface. Atleast I think that is what will happen, I haven't tried it yet.

nvnews-reader
08-19-04, 02:43 PM
Is it just me, or is there something SERIOUSLY wrong with this guy's hand? http://dynamici.server239.com/uploads/e89r3u832.jpg

You shouldn't be expecting much more with a GF3.

I read somewhere in an interview with id ( Carmack? ) That D3 was designed for 256MB vram GPX cards. Higher textures would likely mean slowdowns in game when textures and other things need to be cached in main memory.

If I could make one request for better graphics it would be to add a few more polygons to some of the npc, especially their heads.