PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good TV tuner card

retsam
08-03-02, 06:30 AM
im looking for a good tv tuner card anyone out there have any sugestions .

Marty McFly
08-03-02, 12:26 PM
Ive always used Hauppage's WinTV PCI and never had any problems.

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/products.htm#pci

Prolink also has new tuner cards out but I have not seen any reviews yet.

http://www.prolink.com.tw/new_web/products/multimedia/PlayTV%20HD_new.htm

Gator
08-04-02, 04:08 PM
Hauppauge!

http://www.hauppauge.com

donot buy ATI TV cards, they tend to have compatiblity problems with Win2k, NT, XP, and are difficult to install the drivers for. Hauppauge has very simple software that compatible and works. The quality is decent too.

FastM
08-05-02, 02:40 PM
I havent tried the Happauge myself but have always heard good things about it.

I sold my ATI TV Tuner for a Leadtek Winfast TV 2000 because of the much better TV quality and recording options.

Atrus
08-05-02, 07:53 PM
Yes, I can agree first hand that ATI cards suck. Bad drivers (who woulda thought) and poorly programmed applications. In fact I'd lock up after 10 minutes of watching TV...bah :mad:

adrianhall
08-06-02, 05:18 AM
I just sold my Hauppauge WinTV for a Leadtek TV2000 XP. Both good cards, but same as FastM wanted the better recording options (encoding on the fly without having to get stuff like PowerVCR, scheduling). Also, the remote control is better with the Leadtek, software is incorporated rather than having to install a seperate app. All I miss that Hauppauge had is Nicam stereo.

FastM - have you tried the new WinfastTV with time shifting on it? It kind of works, but with a slight problem on the sound. While recording, the line-in option is un-muted. When playback starts, the line-in is muted so you only hear what has been recorded (via the WAV channel). Problem happens when the recording catches up with the initial time shift, because line-in is muted it doesn't record any more sound :(

FastM
08-06-02, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by adrianhall
FastM - have you tried the new WinfastTV with time shifting on it? It kind of works, but with a slight problem on the sound. While recording, the line-in option is un-muted. When playback starts, the line-in is muted so you only hear what has been recorded (via the WAV channel). Problem happens when the recording catches up with the initial time shift, because line-in is muted it doesn't record any more sound :(

Im really not sure what your talking about, is their a new software package available or something?

Also just out of curiosity what recording settings do you use for recording something, i have been experimenting with DivX5.02 around 1500k/sec @ 320x240 with the sound done in MP3 44,000kh 16bit stereo. The videos look and sound good but their getting a little big. Also on my latest recording the sound was way out of sync with the video by the end of it.

adrianhall
08-06-02, 10:57 AM
You must have an older version then. On the Taiwan site there's a version dated 01/08/02, release not Beta (don't have the URL to hand). It also fixed the schedule problem where a schedule would start but needed to be stopped manually.

I have been using the DivX 5.02 codec (mainly for short recordings) with MPEG1-II sound but last night, first time I actually used the schedule thing to record X-Files, after 17:45 the sound went quiet. Tried it again and it did exactly the same. Changed to the VCD-Optimal format and sound was recorded o.k. for the test I did, 25 minutes. Going to try again tonight with different settings. I've tended to use 352x240, creates borders but looks quite a bit better.

The 1-hour recording using DivX @ 352x240 with 17:45 of sound came in at about 350MB, not too bad. VCD will be about 3x bigger, can still live with that. I just want to use it as a backup VCR.

adrianhall
08-06-02, 12:05 PM
http://www.leadtek.com.tw/www/Web_Leadtek/driver_e.asp

Is where you'll get the software :cool:

FastM
08-06-02, 01:03 PM
cool i'll check that out tonight. I dunno if its the recording Res or Sound compression your using cause i did a 20min video using the settings i mentioned above and it came out to be 250megs. Still i know their is ways to get much smaller.

The DivX5 codec has alot of new encoding options so its gonna take a little while to experiment with all of them.

adrianhall
08-06-02, 01:14 PM
Just done a 1-hour recording, slightly modified the MPEG-1 Optimal to use 352x240 res, no problem with lip-sync, audio all the way through. File size ended up 1.5GB :eek: so I think loss of sound for most of the X-Files certainly reduced the size quite a bit.

Good enough for my uses though, get a bigger HDD at some point, maybe a DVD-R and I'm set :D

FastM
08-06-02, 01:59 PM
When i had my ATI card those are the settings i used, MPEG-1 320x240 with a high k/sec bit rate.

With those 1.5gig - 2.5gig (or a 45min show) files i would use the program VirtualDub and convert the files to DivX3.11 (the audio would turn into MP3 @ 192k/sec). A typical 2gig file would shrink to around 250-300megs by the time i was done with it.

adrianhall
08-06-02, 02:06 PM
Yeah, may do that if I want to archive, but as a VCR I just record, watch and delete. No worries.

Quite impressed with the Leadtek software overall though. I re-tried the PowerVCR demo (downloaded when I had my Hauppauge) - scheduling worked, but if the program was shut down to system tray only, it wouldn't change to the correct channel when recording, just recorded whatever was the last channel watched :mad: Leadtek's is nice & simple, automatically saves the file with an appropriate name, just want the time-shifting to work now (not that I'll use it much, but as it's there :D ) - oh, and for the app to remember the screen position when I next start it up instead of always in the middle (Nicam would be nice too :) )