PDA

View Full Version : I can't overclock... :(

superklye
08-16-04, 10:09 PM
Based on my previous attempts at OCing to 3200+ levels, I upped the vcore to 1.8v. Last time, I ran Prime95 for 2h 1m before encountering an error with my CPU at 2.2GHz, 1.775v vcore...but temps were at like 74C while running Prime95 which is never good.

I figured that it would only need a little more juice, so I got the nerve to try and OC again and as I said, put the FSB to 200, put the multiplier at 11 and upped the vcore to 1.8v.

Well, just idling, the temperature was quickly rising. Right after boot it was at 51C and after about 10 minutes it was at 59 and steadily rising. My house is air conditioned at 70F, I've got a Thermalright SLK-900A )with an 80mm fan), Artic Silver 5 and three intake fans blowing across my machine and when the CPU is at stock speeds, it idles at 43C.

So I still kinda OCed it, but not really. I upped the FSB to 200, put the multiplier at 10 and upped the vcore to 1.675 (from 1.65) just in case and it's idling at 46C now and appears stable. I haven't tried Doom 3 or anything yet...but I'm disappointed that I can't get this biatch up to 2.2GHz or higher. :(

superklye
08-21-04, 10:04 AM
HA! I found out my OCing problem! It wasn't my CPU at all...it's the crappy Kingston ValueRAM! I decided I would do Prime95 last night when I went to bed and wake up to see where it was. Well, doing the "blend" test that tests the CPU and RAM, it never made it past like 6 minutes without failing. Well...I thought, "what the hell, try just the CPU test and see" and lo and behold, my CPU runs like a dream. The RAM is what keeps causing the errors.

I'm going to bump the voltage to 2.7 and see if that has any impact on the RAM.

superklye
08-21-04, 11:54 AM
Well, I put my RAM all the way up to 2.8v and it still failed after about 2-3 minutes in Prime95. I must have at least one bad stick. At some point today I'll have to test them each separately and see what happens.

sigh

Riptide
08-21-04, 10:42 PM
I suggest memtest86 for running diagnostics on that memory.