PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Nvidia Taskbar Application

Bumrush
08-17-04, 12:46 AM
Guys, I have been having problems with the windows taskbar Nvidia icon. I have had the same problem, even after a clean installation of windows and the 61.77 and 65.xxx series drivers. Everytime I right click to change settings I get a rundll crash and the icon disappears. I checked msconfig and the damn app was listed 4 times, NVCPL, NVMCTRAY twice each. Reinstalled drivers again, reboot, click the icon and another crash.. Is this a know problem?
My system is 100% stable, ran prime95 and memtest with no memory erorrs.

Amd Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2310
Corsair TwinX1024XL 2 2 2 5
PNY 6800GT @ 400/1100

Bumrush
08-23-04, 08:15 PM
Anyone? Still have the same exact problem, regardless of the driver set or when I use driver cleaner.

rewt
08-23-04, 08:19 PM
I had the same problem. Until I uninstalled Object Desktop theme manager.

Clay
08-23-04, 08:20 PM
This is odd and an issue that I've not run across before. Have you checked in your registry to ensure that you only have these two entries present once in the following key?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

Value Name: NvCplDaemon
Value Data: RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

Value Name: NvMediaCenter
Value Data: RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

Bumrush
08-23-04, 08:26 PM
It is listed only once. Never installed object desktop as well.. Very strange that I get the same exact error.. Could it be a memory error??? Everything else seems stable though.

BTW Clay, nice to go in to a season with Super Bowl hopes huh?? My Dolphins make me SICK to my stomach!!!

Clay
08-23-04, 08:36 PM
Hmm. I would agree that troubleshooting the memory would be a good next step for you at this point. Keep us posted as to what you find out.

Yes, it is nice...but I'm anxious too. Every year you have these teams that are supposed to be a Super Bowl team...and every year it seems like we see a Carolina come out of nowhere. Who knows, Miami could pull that off this year as well as any team. :)

Bumrush
08-23-04, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I would hate to think my very expensive Corsair memory is the culprit...
I'll change my timings and see if the problem remains.

Bumrush
08-23-04, 09:04 PM
Well, I relaxed my timings, same error. If I manually go the Nvidia control panel and set it to "Display Nvidia settings Icon" it works, however, when I reboot I get the same .dll error. Odd

Clay
08-23-04, 09:22 PM
Odd is right. Man, I'm not sure what to think since you've done a clean install, etc... Maybe try one memory stick at a time?

rewt
08-23-04, 11:14 PM
I don't think its a memory error. I think its a software/driver bug. Although it seems to have gone away now since the Forceware 65 series. Did you uninstall your old drivers and run Driver Cleaner (http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/) in safe mode?