PDA

View Full Version : MSI K8T Neo2-FIR

Pages : [1] 2

PaiN
08-17-04, 05:51 PM
I bought this board to go with my FX...It should be up & running in a few days.
Just thought I'd ask if anyone has this board or experience with(or opinions on) it....The reviews looked good and I've and I used many MSI mobos....but never owned one for my "personal" system

Riptide
08-17-04, 08:00 PM
I'll be curious to find out how it goes. I have the K8N preordered right now.

PaiN
08-17-04, 09:14 PM
I'll be curious to find out how it goes. I have the K8N preordered right now.
Why are you switching mobo's??? Isn't the Abit AV8 one of the best? I would have gone with it, but I needed a second set of SATA RAID controllers..

btw: newegg has your board
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-468&depa=1

Riptide
08-17-04, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up man! I've just ordered one and will cancel my monarch order tomorrow.

I'm switching because I'm having problems overclocking and I think it's this AV8 that has been the source of all my problems. I can't even push my FSB to 210 without prime crashing. It's ridiculous... Voltage doesn't help either.

You should check out the forums:
http://forum.abit-usa.com

Results are mixed as you can see.

PaiN
08-18-04, 05:39 AM
Sounds like a good explanation too me ;)
Looks like the A8V has got itself a few problems ...and Abit hasn't been anxious to fix thier boards problems lately, know what I mean???
As for your OCing, do you mean you can't get past 12x210? What about 13x200( the FX's are unlocked CPUs). What Vcor \ Vdimm are you using?

Riptide
08-18-04, 08:24 AM
Abit seems to be taking their damn sweet time fixing this board's problems. Like the temperature fluctuation issue... WTF is taking them so long to get a BIOS out for this thing? It still has the release BIOS on their site and that's it. These problems have been known for a while now, and even a new revision of the board is out (1.1) yet they don't have another BIOS? :screwy:

Oh, and the new revision doesn't fix anything. Supposedly the lock works on the new revision but that's it. Temps are still screwed up.

Even with these settings:
RAM 2-3-3-10-2T, 2.8 vDIMM
FSB 210, Multi @ default (12)
Vcore @ 1.625v
HTT divider @ x4
AGP/PCI set to Fixed

System fails Prime within minutes. Ridiculous... It should easily be able to take a 210fsb with those settings.

I've tried backing the multiplier down and pushing just the FSB up, it still dies. I've tried leaving the FSB alone and pushing with just the multiplier, it still isn't stable.

Just fine @ stock though. I'm going to keep this motherboard and my "old" Antec power supply so that I can build a Linux box w/a 3500+ around christmas time when the prices hopefully get real low on the 3500+ CPU.

PaiN
08-18-04, 12:34 PM
Good luck with the new mobo. Let's hope you don't have a dud OCing CPU :( ..in all honesty, looking at your setup and settings, I'd say that's where your problem lies...for all of Abit's faults, pushing a CPU to its limits isn't usually one of them....

I promise to eat my hat if you do better on an MSI board...;)

Riptide
08-18-04, 02:10 PM
If AMD sold me an unlocked FX53 that won't push past stock speeds then that's just... well BS. We'll see, that's about the only thing left that could possibly be holding me back seeing as I've changed out my power supply already and (now) the motherboard. I'm even getting rid of my zalman and trying a thermalright slk948U w/enermax 90mm fan.

Also, it seems odd that the system is unstable when I push the FSB even if I lower my multiplier. That way, the CPU isn't being overclocked. Yet it still isn't stable even then... Which would tend to rule out the CPU.

CainSyris
08-18-04, 03:57 PM
Heh, you know I read on another forum that that Newegg had Neo2's for sale so I came here to make sure Riptide knew. Guess I needn't have worried... ;)

EDIT:

Be sure to give us an update on how good the board is. I'm now waiting on the DFI nF3U board before I consider knocking over my house of cards and trying again anew. This Gigabyte board is nice, but being someone with a gigabit network, I'm interested in getting a gigabit controller's that not on the PCI bus. ;)

Hope your motherboard is your problem as anyone who's spent as much as you have shouldn't be disappointed so much...

Riptide
08-18-04, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the sentiments and you can bet I'll be reporting back here w/my experience. :)

I'm not disappointed all that much right now w/regard to my current setup. I just wish I could push it a little bit past stock and I think it's the abit holding me back. Hope it isn't a bum CPU like PaiN thinks it might be.

CainSyris
08-19-04, 03:13 AM
ZipZoomFly seems to be implying they either have them in stock or will this week. I really can't tell as on one place it says "check" in stock, but in the other it says estimated arrival 8/20, so who knows?

That's for those still waiting on the board. ;)

PaiN
08-19-04, 05:54 AM
Zipzoomfly's service is aweful....I've been dealing with them since they were Goolegear.com and always liked the service....but I just went through hell on two orders......I wash my hands of them, they'll never see one (xxx) red cent of mine again..

Riptide
08-19-04, 07:46 AM
ZipZoomFly seems to be implying they either have them in stock or will this week. I really can't tell as on one place it says "check" in stock, but in the other it says estimated arrival 8/20, so who knows?

That's for those still waiting on the board. ;)
Newegg also says 8/20, yesterday it was 8/19.

I'm with PaiN, avoid zipzoomfly if you can... Good prices but their service leaves a bit to be desired.

PaiN
08-19-04, 01:26 PM
I got all my parts in and am fully backed up. I should start the build in a few hours...

Riptide
08-19-04, 03:25 PM
Awesome, take some pictures if you can and post them. :)

My K8N should be here Friday but I won't be able to do anything with it until Monday night. Got to much else going on right now... Probably won't have the system fully configured and all my stuff installed until Tuesday evening late. Probably will post back with some pictures on Wednesday/Thursday.

PaiN
08-20-04, 06:56 AM
Ok....its all bad news :angry:

The board would not post untill I moved the RAM to slots it liked???
Then, after 2 hours of trying and 1 more this morning...I can not get drivers to load for the Promise SATA controllers and and the VIA's give me a no drive error?? I tried EVERTHING and its a no-go. I need all four ports for my setup, anyway...So its RMA time..errrr

Riptide
08-20-04, 12:21 PM
Damn that sucks dude... I hope my MSI experience works out better than that! I'll be pissed if I have to RMA.

My board just got here at work and I'm itching to install it. Unfortunately I won't be able to touch it until early next week due to family visiting from out of town. Oh well...

Good luck and I hope they get you a new board ASAP. And the second one had better work.

PaiN
08-20-04, 07:17 PM
I'm in the same boat now.....I orderd a K8N Neo2 Plat to replace the K8T...I won't have the new board until Monday....and it'll be later night before I get it (re)built

Riptide
08-20-04, 07:38 PM
Nice. Whoever gets up and running first gets to start the thread then eh? :)

Might as well agree on a name for it now. How about simply MSI K8N Neo2? I'll post some pictures as we put it together and also take out the AV8 that's in there now.

PaiN
08-21-04, 08:02 AM
I've have a few of the K8T going in......I'd post but it would bring back bad memories..hehehe :D
I'd race you for first built..but my machine is nasty to work in and setup/wire to my liking, its impossible to go fast or even quick......

Riptide
08-21-04, 08:11 AM
I've pushed up the date for my install and will be doing it tomorrow. Probably won't be posting any pictures until Monday evening though, assuming everything goes well. Like you, if I get a DOA board or it pisses me off for some other reason I'll be inclined to chuck it out the window. :)

PaiN
08-21-04, 08:21 AM
I'm totally not going to let this get to me...(This time)..I was pissed for a month and a half trying to get a P4 board that worked right for me when I convered.
Not gonna happen this time...I'm not going crazy, if parts don't work right, I'm pulling them and getting another......I'm steeled against fustration ;)

Sazar
08-22-04, 12:15 AM
bios flashing the whole nine yards didn't help any :(

well at least juice has good experience with the board I am looking @ getting...

Riptide
08-22-04, 09:06 AM
Should be installing tonight.. Gotta backup my machine now and get ready for it. With luck I might be able to post a couple images once I'm done around approx. 11-12. Here's to hoping we don't have any probs. :beer:

Sazar
08-22-04, 11:29 AM
:thumbsup:

keep us posted m8...

congrats as well :D

how much did it run you?