PDA

View Full Version : Why, Why, Why...65.xx Betas

therapture
08-17-04, 07:10 PM
Man, I thought I had found Nirvana. Doom3 ran 3fps faster, UT2K4 was smoother, Far Cry definitey was better...but then I tried to play Flight Simulator 2004...and I almost cried. It won't work, at all, even tried reinstalling the game. Tried forcing compatibility modes, etc. Nada. Zip. Zero. :bash:

rewt
08-17-04, 07:17 PM
Yep. Same problem here. :(

therapture
08-17-04, 08:54 PM
What burns me, is Doom3 given identical settings, goes from 55fps in timedemo1, to 62fps. HUGE speed boost, also Far Cry, while I have not benched it, runs so much smoother (more fps, less dips) as well....Q3A also works nicely as does UT2K4. Only FS2004 is being gay.

I hope they can fix this... :nanahump:

Severian126
08-17-04, 09:34 PM
Not to mention Uru doesn't work as well. Game runs, but polys are near black...and books are unreadable :( Had to install 61.77 again, but now Doom 3 and the other games do not move as fast as before. *sigh* I'd just have to finish Uru then go back and finish Doom 3 later, heh.

mrdak
08-18-04, 01:26 AM
Same here, Lock On's jets are all black and darkshadowed..just on the tops man,,,only the planes, nothing else,,,Every other game was killer good though! .....Maybe it just doesn't work on flight sims. an anti flight sim optimation tweak is needed for this driver....Anybody notice that everything in all games seemed a bit darker ? I don't know,,,,,'-) I just wish the 61.77 was just as fast.

yakumo
08-18-04, 07:48 AM
because they're BETA's ? ;o)

rewt
08-18-04, 01:13 PM
because they're BETA's ? ;o)

Well... I actually have less problems with the beta 65.62 than I did with the official 61.77.

Bartflaster
08-18-04, 01:34 PM
.....Maybe it just doesn't work on flight sims.

Nope, IL2FB is working ok so far, and 16% performance improvement in perfect mode :)

habicht
08-19-04, 12:09 PM
similiar problems here:

doom3 runs absolutely great:
16x12 (@ 100hz) high qual, NoAA, 8xAA and vsync on (!)

timedemo1 (2nd run):
16.77: 40 fps
65.62: 47 fps !!

farcry and all other games i have tried has no probs

BUT UT 2004 (newest patch) : everytime i exit the game my pc restarts ... i have NO other programms running ... like antivir or firewalls ...

does anybody has made the same expierence with UT2K4 or has any idea why the system restarts ???

my system:
Athlon64 3.0
GF 6800 GT (Leadtek)
1 Gig ram (Corsair)
(nothing overclocked)

Pandora's Box
08-19-04, 12:46 PM
Offtopic:

habicht check your pm's

EverGreen
08-20-04, 05:19 AM
Why it runs faster with some more FPS, u ask!??

Simple some shaders seems be missed and creates
some artifacts as usual.
Betas are still Betas and no WHQL versions and its
always on your own risk to try them out...

Every time when they release i am looking for the
many shaders inside those drivers if they all work.
That some new Betas took up for less some 5 FPS
or more, doesn't get my attency for a loud WOW!
When all shaders be there i am statesfy with them.

habicht
08-20-04, 08:27 AM
Why it runs faster with some more FPS, u ask!??
Simple some shaders seems be missed and creates
some artifacts as usual.

Every time when they release i am looking for the
many shaders inside those drivers if they all work.

pls excuse the newbie question ... but how do you "check" that ... and have you any expamples for the "artifacts as usual"?
I have played farcry and doom3 a long time with these drivers and didn't realize any artifacts ...

thanks !!

nvnews-reader
08-20-04, 09:53 AM
pls excuse the newbie question ... but how do you "check" that ... and have you any expamples for the "artifacts as usual"?
I have played farcry and doom3 a long time with these drivers and didn't realize any artifacts ...

thanks !!

I'd like to know as well. And UT2k4 crashes your system when you try to exit the game with these drivers.

Mojoe
08-20-04, 10:57 AM
I'd like to know as well. And UT2k4 crashes your system when you try to exit the game with these drivers.

With 65.62 ?? UT2k4 works great here.

superklye
08-20-04, 11:26 AM
Why is there such a huge jump between 61.77 and 65.62?

Templar
08-20-04, 12:07 PM
Why is there such a huge jump between 61.77 and 65.62?

Because our chief engineer uses the photon torpedos to accelorate the process.

grimreefer
08-20-04, 12:14 PM
although the timedemo of doom3 runs better with 65.62
the min fps is higher with 61.77

mrdak
08-20-04, 01:19 PM
Run Doom 3 with refreshrate set to 60hz. vsync on...The game caps at 60fps anyways. and it runs like butter..smooth..and to all you little newby nooby new dudes out there, If you set it to ultra high settings, be sure that your swap file has a minimum of about 1000mb so the game can cache all of those textures. ID did it right,,,, this a Killer game or what !! :drooling:

superklye
08-20-04, 02:14 PM
Because our chief engineer uses the photon torpedos to accelorate the process.

Oh yeah? Does he spell as well as you do, too? :rolleyes:

EverGreen
08-20-04, 06:15 PM

thanks !!

Well it remains that i am not a newbie at all,
not in the world of PC's and Graphics-cards
but freely a newbie with a few posts.
Don't forget there are more peeps out there
with lots of experience and wouldn't visited
sites like this one to share the experience.

There are lots of test programs on the inter-
net to learn how shaders and drivers works.
It's a hell to read them all and understand
how all the spec's are working, no one can
tell me personally how things works after
30 years of experience, i must learn every
thing on my own and try to find it out on
your own....

NO (newb) NO

And i like REWT's threads, that guy is damn
close in experience........

sabrewulf165
08-20-04, 06:23 PM
similiar problems here:

doom3 runs absolutely great:
16x12 (@ 100hz) high qual, NoAA, 8xAA and vsync on (!)

timedemo1 (2nd run):
16.77: 40 fps
65.62: 47 fps !!

farcry and all other games i have tried has no probs

BUT UT 2004 (newest patch) : everytime i exit the game my pc restarts ... i have NO other programms running ... like antivir or firewalls ...

does anybody has made the same expierence with UT2K4 or has any idea why the system restarts ???

my system:
Athlon64 3.0
GF 6800 GT (Leadtek)
1 Gig ram (Corsair)
(nothing overclocked)
Mine does the same thing with UT2K4... my workaround for now is press ALT+ENTER to switch the game into windowed mode, then press ESC to bring up the menu (freeing your mouse pointer) and then use your mouse pointer to click the 'X' at the top right corner of the window. Closing the game this way does not cause any problems for me.

A bit of a pain, but these betas are way smoother than the official 61.77's, so I don't mind. Now if they'd just leak a 64-bit version of these I'd be real happy

Gar
08-21-04, 09:53 AM
For some reason when I installed the 65.00s my frames went from 47 to 40 in doom 3 at 1600x1200 2xaa/8xaf. I also noticed that my frames seem to be almost caped at 43fps for some reason. It occasionally goes up to 60+, but for the most part it stays at 43. Anyone have any ideas? I used drivercleaner and uninstalled the 61.77s.