PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to keep my comp on?

majortom
08-17-04, 09:12 PM
i dont mean overnight either. i've had my computer on almost continuously since the end of june. i've only turned it off for an extended period of time about 3 times (when i replaced my psu, my mem, and my gpu). and every now and then i've rebooted it. however, i havent actually shut it down since the end of june. is this safe? i've heard conflicting reports. some say that its better to keep it on all the time and some have told me to turn it off whenever im notusing it for a while. god i hope my hd doesnt die. i havent finished doom3 yet!

aAv7
08-17-04, 09:18 PM
well..no offense but if ur not sure...why not just shut it off at night to be safe? Personally I cant see leaving it on all the time as a good thing...parts get warm, psu becomes more likely to give..etc.

ynnek
08-17-04, 09:20 PM
sure.. you're just wasting electricity.. and probably drawing in more dust.. of course its a little more wear and tear, since its on more, but most likely you'll be junking the computer before then,unless you are way out of spec, like some serious overclocking.. even then, probably wouldn't make too much of a difference.

-=DVS=-
08-17-04, 09:22 PM
Bad if you overclocked it and cooling is poor.
Bad if you get power outages offten or got no surge protection.
Bad on your bill for waisting electricity :D

Good for saveing 10 seconds of boot time :p
Good for leaching warez none stop.
Good for warming room in cold winter :D

Warden13
08-17-04, 10:07 PM
Our small server at work has been on for about 3 years now :)

Warden

FastM
08-18-04, 12:40 AM
Our small server at work has been on for about 3 years now :)

Warden

Thats like comparing a Diesel Cement truck vs a Ferrari in your garage, one you leave one all the time the other you turn off when your not using it.

nvnews-reader
08-18-04, 02:38 AM
I leave mine on pretty much 24/7 except if their is a bad storm. Don't have any problems but I'm sure it increases the chances of getting hacked if you are online.

I know people who have left their comps on for 1-2 years. I don't think its a problem. But I would recomend setting your monitor to turn off after a while. IMO they start to fade and don't look as good as when they are new after a while.

lightman
08-18-04, 03:21 AM
All the boxes here @ the office (including the two beowulf clusters) are on 24/7. And they're "normal" assembled PCs. Quite a number of them are p4 w/ gf 4 and 5. Never had a problem with them.

Btw, I would suggest you to shut down the hd after, say 5 or 10 mins of inactivity. It helps a lot with heat and hd life. Oh, and the monitor whould be put in standby after 5-10 mins of inactivity, too.

majortom
08-18-04, 05:03 AM
thanks for all the responses. i set my monitor to turn off after 10 min of inactivity and shut the monitor off manually if im at work/out. nothing is overclocked. im not worried about wasting electricity cause i dont pay for electric (its included in my rent as a flat fee :D ).