PDA

View Full Version : Best Wireless routers

JonathanM
08-18-04, 10:40 AM
How ya guys all doing. I know many of you have gone the wireless route for home networking so I wanna know your opinions about which models you guys have used and have the best experience with.

My needs are that is has to have at least a couple RJ45 jacks at the back and 802.11G support. I've been looking at the

D-Link 624 (http://d-link.com/products/?pid=6) which i should be able to grab for about 90 bucks, or the

Linksys WRT54G (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=601) which i can get for about 110 bucks, or the

Netgead WGT624 (http://netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=214) which is available for 70 bucks.

Your thoughts please :) ... and don't be shy to recommend any other models around the same price / feature range :)

jAkUp
08-18-04, 10:51 AM
Linksys baby... Its the one I'm using and its damn sexy :) From what I hear, the D-Link has some major problems with certain pci adapters... not sure about the netgear

Clay
08-18-04, 11:16 AM
Linksys (technically Cisco now IIRC)

Pandora's Box
08-18-04, 02:34 PM
yeah i have that linksys one too. very good. and like jakup said, its sexy!

thor1182
08-18-04, 03:14 PM
so he linksys wireless router is good, but know from experience that thier WAP's suck. They do look good, but terrible range and always droping conneciton for no reason.

Clay
08-18-04, 03:18 PM
so he linksys wireless router is good, but know from experience that thier WAP's suck. They do look good, but terrible range and always droping conneciton for no reason.
I've got the Linksys WRT54G and have never had a single problem with it. A buddy of mine has one too (got it around the same time). He flashed his firmware to the latest version (takes on a new look/feel related to Cisco identity) and he has had some problems. I've never flashed my firmware and have had no problems. My range is about as advertised as well. The only time I experience any drops is when the microwave or cordless phone are on at times which is to be expected.

Sazar
08-18-04, 05:37 PM
all of them are pretty good... I have primarily used d-link and netgear..

for deals check out www.amazon.com coz they usually have excellent rebates... might be able to get the netgear for around $70 or so (last I checked) with an adaptor as well in the package...

ynnek
08-18-04, 06:18 PM
My linksys WRT54G had all sorts of problems.. before and after I flashed it.. I also returned it and got a new one.. no dice.. must be something in the air... I even have a PCI linksys G card too to go with it.. My connection kept dropping occasionally.. and one time i just had really crappy performance. The previous firmwares had problems.. like encryption slowly griding performance to a halt.. or one that flooded the subnet that it was connected to, driving your ISP nuts!

I switched back to wires on my main computer and couldn't be happier with it.. besidess, if you are an avid online FPS gamer, you wouldn't want the extra wireless lag anyways.

Personally, my next round of network stuff will NOT be linksys.

JonathanM
08-18-04, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the great responses... It's mostly just for carrying the laptop around the house.

I'm getting a new mobo that has wirelessG built in... figured I might as well finally take the jump and remove yet another wire back there :)

I see most people are recommending the linksys... I have their old 4 port router(ya the one everyone has) and have had no qualms with it whatsoever. I'm leaning towards the linksys but the netgear is soo damn cheap ;) Only thing is i heard the 10/100 speed between the wired RJ45 jacks on the Linksys has been faulty and defalting to 10mbit for quite a few people...

Could any of you guys check this out for me and report back with your findings? :) That would be truly awesome :D

Sazar
08-18-04, 06:40 PM
linksys wired routers reputation does not extend to their wireless routers jonathan :)

I am currently using a netgear setup (b router/g card... total cost after rebates was $19.99 for me :cool: )

my brother's house is fully wireless and he uses a d-link G setup...

i used dlink wireless when I was in tampa as well though I left my router there with my m8...

stncttr908
08-18-04, 07:52 PM
I dig Netgear, of course I'm partial since I own one.

PsychoSy
08-18-04, 11:05 PM
I've seen both the Netgear and the Linksys in action.

Either or is perfect although I would lean towards Linksys nice the Netgear looks like a sardine can with an antenna! :p

JonathanM
08-19-04, 02:00 AM
ya that shot of the netgear makes it look odd

ynnek
08-19-04, 02:38 AM
heh.. then you can argue Linksys looks like a cheap plastic kid's toy.. ;)

I've seen both the Netgear and the Linksys in action.

Either or is perfect although I would lean towards Linksys nice the Netgear looks like a sardine can with an antenna! :p

mczern
08-19-04, 03:07 AM
I've got one of Microsofts B/G routers, it has great range 4 ports and at office max was only about 80 or 90$. I'm not sure if its the router but I had compatability issues with the wireless B cards I bought for my desktops, I can confirm that Wireless g linksys cards and intel pro wireless that's built into my laptop work fine with almost no drop or lag. Hope that helps.

vitocorleone
08-23-04, 12:49 AM
Linksys if you want mod/functionality. Check out all the various firmware on www.dslreports.com for it. One of the best things is that you can increase the signal strength. I'm liking the HyperWRT1.3 firmware as it keeps it pretty simple (tho I'm sure the urge to add more features will catch up with the guy).

I've had zero probs since I bought the wrt54g (v1.0).

ricercar
08-23-04, 01:36 AM
I was disappointed when I "upgraded" from Asante wireless to Linksys wireless.

With the Linksys access point in the same location as the Asante used to be, two of the four clients dropped from 11 mbps to 2 mbps. FWIW the client wireless cards are the proprietary cards for ASUS A7N8x-E Deluxe, and Shuttle SN41G2.

holmes
08-23-04, 02:03 AM
I have the linksys router and am quite happy with it...
:)

Kamel
08-24-04, 02:34 AM
netgear routers are really good. linksys is ok, but i hate them because i like "sticking it to the man" (cisco = the man, sortof like someone not buying microsoft products because of bill gates).

uhmm i dunno, i would stay away from dlink at all costs, i've heard more horror stories about dlink than probably any other hardware manufacturer.

JonathanM
08-24-04, 06:04 PM
Thanks for al the info guys. I decided to drop my cash on the Netgear cuz it was so damn cheap. And in case it doesn't work from me... the store I bought it from has a 30-day return/exchange policy. Heh. The money I'll be savin will be going towards a swanky PCMCIA card. :D