Well I got a new athlon system
Athlon 64 3400...newcastle core
Epox 8kda3j
1 gb of geil pc4000 ram
BFG 6800GT
160gb Maxtor HD
Audigy2

the processor and motherboard are the only new components

i got everything going but i'd get the blue screen of death before it would load up windows...i could get into the bios fine...

then it just stopped booting period...all it does now is the fans spin for a split second then stop....

my question is...what are the signs of a bad CPU? generally when a CPU is bad will it boot and then lock up or not boot at all?

my experience with bad RAM is usually the PC will boot up but then the BSOD will occur...

edit: i was using the RAM previously in another system so I doubt it is the RAM

my main problem is i don't know anyone nearby with an athlon 64 system for me to try my processor in...which complicates things...

I will hook up my old setup and double check the ram and power supply...but i really doubt those components are the problem....

ughhh...

thanks in advance for any tips...

rewt
08-19-04, 08:44 AM
Did you reset the CMOS on your new mainboard before you built everything? Did you reformat the boot drive and put on a fresh installation of Windows 64-bit and latest drivers?

karkrash81
08-19-04, 09:39 AM
well i'm using regular windows xp professional

the thing is, the thing won't even post anymore...the fans just whirl a bit and that's it...no LED on the motherboard...nothing...

I usually reformat everytime i do an upgrade like this but i can't even get that far...

before when i could at least get into the bios it would crash after exiting the bios and restart...

yes i also reset the CMOS...

i checked to make sure the cpu is sitting correctly...no thermal paste is touching the pins or anywhere else (except where it's supposed to be)...

I'm thinking it is my power supply but i don't have anything to test it on except my old setup which will be a pain in the arse to set up again but i guess i don't have a choice...

i guess i was just wondering how you could tell if a cpu was bad without trying it in another system...but i guess you can't....sometimes computers are too much trouble

karkrash81
08-19-04, 03:36 PM
NEVERMIND...it was the power supply that went out...

so glad it wasn't the processor or mb...