PDA

View Full Version : Problem: nForce IDE Drivers + iTunes + NIS2004

j1mw1ng
08-19-04, 01:52 PM
Just bought my girlfriend an iPod, and trying to copy all her CD's on to it using iTunes is proving a headache as it simply doesnt seem to work with older versions of the Nvidia nForce IDE Controllers?

I have tested both the 2.41 and 3.13 versions of nVidia's nForce unified driver packages, which contain versions 3.40 and 3.60 of the IDE Driver respectively. Both of these drivers cause iTunes to make a 'tic tic tic' sound when you try an play or import a CD. I have played with every setting I can think of and there is just no way to get it to work with these drivers.

The latest set of unified nForce drivers officially available from nVidia is version 4.27 (containing IDE driver version 4.12). I searched around and found that version 5.03 of the unified nForce drivers (containing IDE driver version 4.46) is available 'unofficially' for download. Installing either of these IDE drivers solves your problem instantly ..........However, on my system, both these IDE drivers caused Norton Internet Security/Norton Antivirus 2004 to stop working . Now I've had to roll back to 3.40 until I find a driver that allows both programs to operate, but can't use iTunes properly!

Has anyone had the same problem and if so how have they solved it?

My system spec is below if it helps:
CPU: Athlon XP 3200+
MB: Gigabyte GA-7NNXP
RAM: 2 x 256mb PC3200 Dual Channel OCZ
HD: 2 x 40GB Western Digital Caviar (IDE1 & IDE4)
CD: Sony CD-RW CRX230E (IDE2)

Cheers

tiangha
08-19-04, 02:08 PM
I haven't experienced your problems, but whenever I upgrade my nforce drivers, I make sure that I don't select the IDE drivers and just use the default Windows drivers as Nvidia's IDE drivers just cause too much trouble. Perhaps making sure not to install the IDE drivers might help?

|JuiceZ|
08-19-04, 02:51 PM
Revert back to WinXP native IDE drvs and you'll be fine. Even though NV IDE drvs have improved, theres really not enough justification to use 'em because of quirks like this one that still exists. There's really no noticable perf increase.